Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What tires and wheels are these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tires and wheels are these?

What tire and wheel combo is this? I've seen them before on heavy trailers. Looks like a great set up.

http://www.trailers-r-less.com/7-ton...pose-tilt.html
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by PapaPerk
What tire and wheel combo is this? I've seen them before on heavy trailers. Looks like a great set up.

http://www.trailers-r-less.com/7-ton...pose-tilt.html
I have seen these before, if I remember correctly they are a 17.5 size. I think they are also a load range of "g" or "h". But, heck, what do I know
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 PM

The specs say that the tires are 8.00 x 14.5-14ply.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM

Anyone know the manufacture?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Those are the DOT approved version of the 14.5-inch mobile-home tire.

Although they are DOT approved, they are notorious for slow-leaking around the rim, and once flat, they will roll right off the wheel, wrapping themselves around the axle, springs, frame, and really wedging themselves in there before catching on fire.

You can get the same load ratings in a more sensible sixteen-inch tire without all the hassle.

Also, those tires are next to impossible to buy, without having to special-order; in other words, you have a blow-out in some little mud-hole town and you ain't gonna find a tire.

I don't recommend them.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Very intresting! I have seen a similar tire and wheel set up on a Featherlite 53' Gooseneck for the traveling Vietnam Wall. They really looked like an awesome setup. Much heavier duty than the typical single wheel gooseneck setup you usually see. Looked like a good alternative to dual tires.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

Those are the DOT approved version of the 14.5-inch mobile-home tire.

Although they are DOT approved, they are notorious for slow-leaking around the rim, and once flat, they will roll right off the wheel, wrapping themselves around the axle, springs, frame, and really wedging themselves in there before catching on fire.

You can get the same load ratings in a more sensible sixteen-inch tire without all the hassle.

Also, those tires are next to impossible to buy, without having to special-order; in other words, you have a blow-out in some little mud-hole town and you ain't gonna find a tire.

I don't recommend them.
I am not trying to be a smart mouthed kid, but I do have to mention a couple things.
First, if the wheel isn't clean around the bead, any tire will leak. That can't be blamed on the wheel size, blame the person who mounted the tires and didn't clean the wheels. On steel wheels, you will get a rust buildup where the bead of the tire is on the wheel. That needs to be cleaned off when new tires are mounted. On aluminum wheels, you will have corrosion. The aluminum wheels usually have more of a problem with bead leaks and leaks around the stems, because it takes less time for corrosion to buildup on aluminum, than it does for the steel wheels to rust.
Second, if a tire does go flat, almost any will peel off the wheel. I have had everything from 13" car tires peel off, all the way up to 24.5" truck tires and even tractor tires.
Third, yes you can get the same load rating in a 16" tire, but most of the time the 14.5" is used because there is no room to fit the larger 16" tire. The cost difference between the two is very little. A good quality 10 ply 16" trailer tire, that will handle the same load as the 14.5" tire, will run you about $150-$180. We sell load range f 14.5" tires for about $160. I know that we stock them, but as Bearkiller said, not every place will. If you do buy a trailer with 14.5" tires, just get one or two for spares if you plan on going for a long trip. Just my .02
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I am not trying to be a flamer, either, and don't intend to come across as such.

The reason the 14.5 are so subject to roll off the rim is due to the extreme slant to the construction of the tire-bead.

Look at a 14.5 rim, beside a standard 16-inch rim, and this difference in bead construction is obvious.

A standard style tire, be it 13, 14, 15, or 16 inch, must be "broken loose", from the rim, in order to remove the tire.

This requires quite a bit of force, with appropriate tools.

Once the air is out of a 14.5, or any ".5" type tire (14.5, 16.5, 17.5, 19.5, etc., etc.), the beads immediately release their hold from the rim, allowing the bead to rise into the drop-center and roll itself off the rim; whereas a standard type tire will remain attached to the rim and is more likely to stay that way.

Let the air out of a 14.5 tire, and watch it fall loose from the rim of it's own accord, with no bead-breaking tools necessary.

Also, even with new tires and rims, the 14.5 is a notorious slow-leaker around the bead, especially on tires that sit for short periods.

Check all this out, before making a decision that you will have to live with.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... I didn't realize that any +.5 rim would roll off the tires when deflated.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM

To the top.... still looking for where I can get tires and wheels like these. They also use a similar setup on the traveling Vietnam Wall. Trailer is made by Featherlite. Any help would be great!