Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What do you tow and how do you like it (RV)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question What do you tow and how do you like it (RV)?

Just curious to know what kind of 5th wheel/TT you guys own and how do you like it?
What brands have you had trouble with or would stay away from and why?

Rich.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our latest 5th wheel is a 2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 that we purchased in August 2004. This was the wife's "gottahaveit" rig, and we both really enjoy it. It's well built with premium components wherever they could be used (examples - Progressive Dynamics IntelliPower 9180 power converter, Dexter Nev-R-Lube axles with MorRyde suspension, power adjustable king size bed with excellent mattress and spring [versus plywood] base). More information is available HERE.

Prior to this, we had 3 Jaycos, a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels, all of which served us well.

Rusty
Old 05-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gee Rusty,,,,,,,,,,,,
I don't know if I could put up with it getting dark and the bugs singing everytime you put the slide out!

Rich,
So far the wife and I have been real happy with the Cougar (by Keystone) and it seems the perfect size for pulling with a 2500. We hope to move up to a larger unit(the wife's wish) only after I get my dually and retire from work.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We recently went from a 2002 Komfort 25TB TT to a 2005 Wildcat 31QBH Fiver by Forest River. Honestly, I like them both. I had little problems with the Komfort - nothing major. Overall, it was a pretty well built unit - as good as any in the same price range I would say. I would say the same for the Wildcat - as good as any in the same price range.

The better the quality, the more you will spend and the more it will weigh. That's just how it works. If you really crawl around underneath and inside of these things, you can get a pretty goo idea of the quality. Honestly, I've found things in both trailers that made me think they could have been a little better made, but that's true of every trailer we looked at in our price range.

We took the Wildcat out for our first time over the weekend. It was awesome. We were at 9K feet in the Rockies for 3 full days. Warm and sunny the first day and a half. Cold and cloudy with a little rain and even snow the next day and a half. Cloud cover was so thick on Sunady afternoon that visibility from camp was less than 100 feet. You could literally see the cloud vapor in the air in front of you. It was very cool. Wife and I drank cold ones by the fire. When the kids got cold, they had tons of room to go inside and play in the trailer.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Tree...

That is a very nice 5er and heavier than many. What is the weight and have you weighed it loaded. We have a new Everest 361p 38' that weighs in at 13,200. How is your truck doing and do you do any passes??
Old 05-31-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Double Tree...

Originally posted by by2005
That is a very nice 5er and heavier than many. What is the weight and have you weighed it loaded. We have a new Everest 361p 38' that weighs in at 13,200. How is your truck doing and do you do any passes??
I haven't hit the scales with it yet - dry weight is 13,500 lbs and GVWR is 16,000, so we're somewhere between. If I were a bettin' man, I would wager we come in close to 15,000 lbs with our options and the stuff we carry.

The Mobile Suites tows better than the 13,500 lb GVWR Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS that preceded it. Better suspension and brakes make a heck of a difference. With my BOMBs, going is not a problem, and stopping is actually better than the Jayco. I can feel the extra weight and taller CG around corners, but it only took one trip to recalibrate my right foot.

We've towed in 105 degF ambient temps last August, and a 70 MPH trip from Houston to Fort Worth on Texas 6 / I-35 had the truck running 195 degF (where it always runs when towing) and returning around 9.5-10.5 MPG (headwind versus tailwind). With these engine mods, it will hold 70 MPH up a long 6% grade (I-10 heading west into Kerrville) in 6th gear, but I do have to watch EGTs as I like to keep them around 1100-1150 degF maximum sustained pre-turbo EGT on a long pull.

Oh, if you think the Mobile Suites is heavy, check out a Newmar Mountain Aire. Or a Teton. Or an Alfa. Or a Travel Supreme. Or.....

Rusty
Old 05-31-2005, 02:07 PM

I have a 2004 Laredo 29 BH 5er. Love the trailer. 2500 CTD pulls it great. Quality is really good. The only thing I would probally change is where the wheels are mounted. After having it a year. I think the wheels should be further back. I agree with 'thecatsfan' views.

On a side note. It is my first RV trailer. I would have gone with a shorter trailer for my first one. I think a 25 - 26' 5er would have been perfect.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:29 PM

98 28ft Wilderness full slide, Our last and most favorite fifth wheel and we plumb wore it out had over 100k miles and was used up, was a 90 28ft Hitchhiker, I am very partial to the Hitchhiker brands as it gave us no problems at all. My opinion with a 2500 I would stay around 28 foot maybe shorter with a slide, check the trailers with the slides as they will surprise you on the added weight. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-31-2005, 03:52 PM

02 Alfa sun 33' ,5er. We weigh in at 13400 with all our "stuff" in it. The triple slides do a job on the weight.
We had some problems with getting warranty service from dealers. Had to get corporate involved and they fell in line. There were a lot of little things (and a few big ones) wrong with it new. Whoever does QC was sleeping the day they built ours!
After all the fixes were done its been flawless.
Towed it 20,000 mi. with the old 2500 v-10 gasser last 2 years so we knew it would be a breeze for the cummins in the 3500.
Only had it out for about 400 mi. last month and didn't know it was back there! (yeah right!)

Looking at New Horizons rv next??
Old 05-31-2005, 05:19 PM

They all seem to last about 6yrs before you start having to replace $.05 & $.10 items that sell for $5-$300. We're happy with our second Jayco but it's reaching it's 6yr limit. Structurally it's solid as a rock but the little things are starting to appear. The sun is taking it's toll on all the outside replaceable parts and the converter just gave up the ghost. The slide seals are probably next to start separating and the hot Florida sun is brutal on the rubber roof... It sure tows easy though. I hate to see it get to the point of trading it in...
Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info guys.
Weve just started looking at the different makes/options/styles etc. I appreciate your comments.

Rich.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 PM

2003 24' Rampage toyhauler. Bought it because the wife did'nt want to ruff it at the dunes in Oregon anymore. Just last weekend while out camping she mentioned to me about getting rid of the current one and getting a larger one. Maybe a small 5'ver (26-30') or a front sleeper unit. I like to use my truck bed so I'm sorta wanting to shy away from the 5'ver, but I hear they tow much better than a pull behind. Looking at possibly going with another Rampage as it has been almost problem free or one of the THOR models. It'll all come down to who has the most features for the best price.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:54 PM

2003 Keystone Hornet 38', double slide, bumper pull. We travel with Mr. Flashdancr's company so we live in it 24/7 with our 2 dogs and 2 cats. Haven't had any problems with this unit. Lots of room, very well built, love the sliding glass door, makes it feel more like a house. Pulls like a dream behind my 3500, GVWR is 11,300.
Most people wouldn't want one this big for camping, but it is self-contained.
Have a picture of it in my gallery.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 97 Kit Patio Hauler 29.5 5th wheel... I wanted a shorter toyhauling 5th wheel with seperate garage, which is hard to find.

I like the exterior type door that seperates the living and vehicle area, and the gaps in the garage floor that allow you to hose it out. I also like the big flip up windows in the garage with velcro screens... Makes a neat place to hang out or barbeque, bug free.

The other thing I really like about it is that all the pipes, even the dump valves, are inside the insulated and heated underbelly.

I would have liked to find a good clean 32.0 Patio Hauler (not made anymore) for the extra sofa, but I couldn't find one that wasn't either trashed, or way over priced...
Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 PM

I know my little setup doesn't really count here because it's so old, but there's a pic in my gallery. It's about 29', I think. Weighs about 10k with a gross of 12. I'd never pulled a goose or fiver and now I'll never go back! Pulling it home, it was easier to manage through the hills than my bumper pull utility trailer loaded to only 3500 pounds! I'm using the fiver as temp living quarters while building my house, with the occasional adventure into the mountains I'm sure BTW, my truck isn't squatting under the pin weight, it squats like that all the time! Time for the right size lift blocks, but hey, I've got less than 7 grand into both the truck and the fiver and everything works on both of 'em!

greg

Quick Reply: What do you tow and how do you like it (RV)?