Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Well, it Probably Ain't Legal, But it Pulled OK!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it Probably Ain't Legal, But it Pulled OK!!

Went to NM with 2 trucks and 2 trailers loaded up to the hilt. Wife sez, why drive 2 empty trucks and trailers back to AZ? Can we put the flatbed Chevy on the flatbed trailer and hook the white trailer on somehow? Well I found a crazy biker welder in Espanola, NM who welded a receiver hitch on the flatbed trailer and away we go! It was only 450 miles... Found out when I got back to AZ that the first towed vehicle has to be a 5th wheel to tow another vehicle. Well, since I didn't know, I didn't get stopped. Towed just fine! 60mph and 14 mpg. It was like a carnival train. I'd be around the corner going straight already and those two trailers were still in the middle of the turn! Measured it at 58' bumper to bumper. Thought you guys would find this amusing.... H.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder, if you had to go through a toll road where you get charged per axle, would the truck on the trailer be counted in the total (probab not, but who knows)
any idea what your GVWR was?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Chapter President

Thats cool. At least you made it safely.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM

That puts a huge grin on my face
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Chapter President

interesting
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Cool

Thats my favorite body style chevy . best gas engines too IMO. Tbi's
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Cool

Thats my favorite body style chevy . best gas engines too IMO. Tbi's
Well, it IS a good truck, but I knew I'd absolutely kill it hauling that Massey 245 with it. That's why I now own the Blue Dog! Yep, if Chevy's had a darned 12v Cummins in 'em, I'd still be driving one.

GVW? No idea, though the flatbed trailer is pretty heavy empty and that Chevy is a 3/4 ton.....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
thats why i drive a cummins! I did a similiar tow when i moved from tx to NC. This was before i bought a cummins, my friend Lee towed my vehicles for me and we took turns driving. We set the cruise at 70 and crossed the blue ridge mountains with no problem passing people uphill haha When I got to NC i strated looking for a cummins and eventually bought mine out of TX haha

By htchaplain, shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2008-06-24
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I saw a station wagon hauling a camper hauling a boat go through once. It was funny. It looked like the griswold vacation car with 2 trailers behind it. In some states thats legal but here in Maine its only legal to have doubles on the interstate. Cool pictures. I might have to copy it for my collection!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by M1Lover
It is good that you landed safely.

Cool as it may look, it is a wonder you didn't get yourself or someone else killed.

I have had so many near-death experiences with bumper-hitch trailers that I refuse to pull one with anything bigger than a riding lawn-mower on it.

The cart can get ahead of the horse quicker than you can see it coming.

I don't mean to come off as flaming you; I just don't want others to think that since you got away with it that it is something they should try.

On the other hand, load the beds of both trucks and trailers, then pull them all up on a good DRW-tandem GOOSENECK, with Vacuum-over-Hydraulic trailer-brakes, and I will not fear pulling it anywhere sensible.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

On the other hand, load the beds of both trucks and trailers, then pull them all up on a good DRW-tandem GOOSENECK, with Vacuum-over-Hydraulic trailer-brakes, and I will not fear pulling it anywhere sensible.
Agree 100% with you for the use of dual tandem gooseneck for heavy gvwr, problem is finding one in roadworthy condition (incl. all DOT req.) for less than 5K. In that case the argument for utility trailers goes a long way, especially if this is very seldom use of it errr them.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM

came up on a guy a few years back that had a wreck. he was in a truck towing another truck with a boat trailer attached. all would have probably been fine except he was using a rope between the two trucks. mind you he was the only there, no one in the second truck. i asked him how he planned on stopping all that when he got to his destination and he got this puzzled look then said "i didn't think about that".
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 AM

We've all done things crazy and got away with some of it and had some nightmares over others. Vac/Hydro is the best way to go. But if you gotta do something like this just have patience and take your time and think about whats way ahead of ya. We wanna talk to ya not read about ya. Like BearKiller said "ain't ragging on ya" just think long and hard about the consesquences. Like I said we all been there and done crazy things just be careful. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew130
came up on a guy a few years back that had a wreck. he was in a truck towing another truck with a boat trailer attached. all would have probably been fine except he was using a rope between the two trucks. mind you he was the only there, no one in the second truck. i asked him how he planned on stopping all that when he got to his destination and he got this puzzled look then said "i didn't think about that".
That's why they put front and rear bumpers on vehicles...he was just hoping they lined up.

I'm surprised at the number of times I've seen people towing a car on I-35 doing 60-65mph, with just a short rope between the vehicles (and I mean short). At least they didn't have to worry about anyone trying to cut in between them.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM

I will have to get a picture of the Alberta redneck trailer train , It is quite common up here to see a fifth wheel trailer and a boat or motor cycle trailer or even a car carrier being hauled like a pup train with the trailers and rig I have seen 60 feet and more . lol it is a long weekend this coming weekend so I am sure to see someone haulin.

Quick Reply: Well, it Probably Ain't Legal, But it Pulled OK!!