Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Waterbed in a sleeper ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterbed in a sleeper ?

I was checking the FMCSA sleeper requirements (section 393.76 in the green pocketbook ) . One mattress option is "a mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness when filled to prevent 'bottoming out ' when occupied while the vehicle is in motion ." Well I'm here to tell ya a waterbed in a moving vehicle is not a good idea . Quite a while back I bought a parcel delivery van from UPS to use for camping . I had a waterbed that developed a small leak and one afternoon I was drinking Budweisers with my brother and we had an inspiration any redneck would be proud of . " Hey , Watch this ! We're gonna have a van with a waterbed ! " We put the waterbed in the van and filled it up . I don't know how much water it held but the rear end dropped quite a bit . O.K. time to try it out . I jumped in and crunk the truck . My brother reclined on the bed . We were living in a subdivision outside Little Rock . I came to the first corner and felt the truck lean a little . Coming to the end of the block my brother starts yelling "Don't stop ! Don't stop ! " I said "Listen Dummy , I don't care how much you're enjoying it . I gotta stop . There's a stop sign " . Well , I hit the brakes and the waterbed came to the front like a mini tsunamai and my brother ended up sitting on the doghouse and the bed wrapped around the shifter and burst . The doors were open and water started pouring out . The shifter was in low gear and the weight of the bed held it there so I headed very slowly around the block watering the road . People in the neighborhood found it quite amusing . My wife didn't find it so amusing . But really , don't put a waterbed in your sleeper . I don't care what the book says.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That is freaking funny right there!!! I'm having a hard time breathing now...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
That is freaking funny right there!!! I'm having a hard time breathing now...
Now why can't wives have a sense of humor like that ???

Semper Fi ! Parris Island graduate . Platoon 3024 October '67
Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
Now why can't wives have a sense of humor like that ???

Semper Fi ! Parris Island graduate . Platoon 3024 October '67
Some things, you just gotta shake your head at and move on. No use losing your mind over.

THIRD BATTALION!!!!!!!!

Out in the woods where no one can hear your screams. 3088, aug 99, Inda company. Were stupid, but strong. We knew PAIN!!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM

I doan kar hoo u r, ats funny rat ter!

Hay
Old 12-28-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Some things, you just gotta shake your head at and move on. No use losing your mind over.

THIRD BATTALION!!!!!!!!

Out in the woods where no one can hear your screams. 3088, aug 99, Inda company. Were stupid, but strong. We knew PAIN!!
We were the most physically fit company on the Island , due to all the punishment PT . In the Old Corps DI's could do that . Boy . theyd get mad when we started laughing at all the noise flip flops made while duckwalking inside the barracks in the middle of the night and only a Marine knows how heavy a towel can get held straight out in front of you .
Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickG
I was checking the FMCSA sleeper requirements (section 393.76 in the green pocketbook ) . One mattress option is "a mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness when filled to prevent 'bottoming out ' when occupied while the vehicle is in motion ." Well I'm here to tell ya a waterbed in a moving vehicle is not a good idea . Quite a while back I bought a parcel delivery van from UPS to use for camping . I had a waterbed that developed a small leak and one afternoon I was drinking Budweisers with my brother and we had an inspiration any redneck would be proud of . " Hey , Watch this ! We're gonna have a van with a waterbed ! " We put the waterbed in the van and filled it up . I don't know how much water it held but the rear end dropped quite a bit . O.K. time to try it out . I jumped in and crunk the truck . My brother reclined on the bed . We were living in a subdivision outside Little Rock . I came to the first corner and felt the truck lean a little . Coming to the end of the block my brother starts yelling "Don't stop ! Don't stop ! " I said "Listen Dummy , I don't care how much you're enjoying it . I gotta stop . There's a stop sign " . Well , I hit the brakes and the waterbed came to the front like a mini tsunamai and my brother ended up sitting on the doghouse and the bed wrapped around the shifter and burst . The doors were open and water started pouring out . The shifter was in low gear and the weight of the bed held it there so I headed very slowly around the block watering the road . People in the neighborhood found it quite amusing . My wife didn't find it so amusing . But really , don't put a waterbed in your sleeper . I don't care what the book says.
That is hillarious!! I love it..

I remember when we were kids we got a hold of an old Watter bed mattress that had sprung a leak, patched the hole with duct tape and then filled it full of air with a cattle dryer. So now in the centre it's like 4' high, shaped like a blimp or more like a big full chip bag.

But!! When you sit on one end the air moves away and you are nearly sitting on the ground, when a larger child comes running and leaps onto the big overinflated end the smallest child is propelled into the air with a velocity formerly thought to be only accomplished by firearms and high explosives!!!

Good times, good times.......

It was a great game 'till said smallest child was missing too many teeth for mom to overlook.