Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

two wheel vs four wheel towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Lest we forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two wheel vs four wheel towing

my friend is going to purchase a new ??? chevy truck H D 2500. we need help as to what is best for towing, a four wheel or two wheel drive. I think he's going to pull a 27 ft. fiver. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks waam Holland Mich.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:01 PM
DPG

Re:two wheel vs four wheel towing

waam:<br><br>IMHO, if towing is the only consideration, 2WD makes more sense. The 4WD only adds additional weight for equipment that you hardly ever use. I have a 2WD 3500, and my buddy has a 4WD 2500, and we have fifth wheel trailers that are pretty comparable in weight. In all the years we've been camping together, he's never used the 4WD while hitched to the trailer. He did use it once to pull his trailer out of an extremely muddy campsite, but I wasn't along on that trip. We get about the same mileage while towing. Also, the 2WD is less expensive to purchase.<br><br>If you take other things into account, such as driving solo in the snow, resale value and ease of resale, that would make a better case for the 4WD. <br><br>For me, personally, I plan on keeping my truck forever, and I don't go boondocking. I am also planning on not seeing much snow after I retire in about 4 years. So the 2WD makes a lot of sense for me.<br><br>I hope that I have shed at least a little light on the subject for you.<br><br>You ought to try to convince your friend to buy a CTD!!<br><br>DeWain
Old 12-26-2002, 07:06 PM

If they are in Michigan then 4x4 to have the extra margin of grip for not just snow, wet grass and towing in the mountains. If not at least get limited slip.<br><br>Tell them to get a CTD because my friends gaser 1500 HD GMC got 8.5 MPG towing 6K lbs where I get 14 to 16 towing 7 to 8 K lbs. It adds up fast.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:54 AM

I would get the 4x4, ohh wait, I did! ;D Anyhow, unless your in DPGs situation (retirement in 4 years! ;D Lucky!), where you won't be staying in MI during snowy season, get the 4x2. The 4x4 is alot better driving in the snow and on wet roads. My MPG don't seem to be too bad either, empty (summer) I average about 19.xx, and 16.xx in the winter. With the 5er on, 17900 GCWR, I was averaging 12-14. Hope this helps some!<br><br>Tony
Old 12-27-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The four wheel drive is real good for slow backing and stuff because of the low range. You don't have to slip the tranny so much. It also comes in handy when the goose neck is sinking in the yard from all the rain we've had. That extra axle comes in handy. I pull up to 26000 some times and the low range is really good for maneuvering. <br><br>I've seen about a 50/50 mix of both pulling campers so it is really a geographical/personal preference/type of camp ground/wallet type decision. I have not been without a four wheel drive of some type since 1976 so I am a little biased I guess. I know a fellow right here close home that pulls one of the biggest 5'ers I've ever seen with a little 2WD short bed Intense Blue Dodge diesel and does very well. Either one will do the job.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=11;threadid=8821;start=0#85281 date=1041012344]<br> I know a fellow right here close home that pulls one of the biggest 5'ers I've ever seen with a little 2WD short bed Intense Blue Dodge diesel and does very well. Either one will do the job.<br>[/quote]<br>[img width=450 height=211]http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Ram%26%26Kitty2.jpg[/img]<br> ;D It's only a 30 footer ,,,,, and no,,, It doesn't have training wheels &amp; an 8' bed,,, BUT,,,, <br> This is the way I wanted my truck. I took all of the things that I needed my truck to do and came up with something I'm real happy with. <br>
  • We rarely get snow and I don't think I will tow during snow season anyway
  • I didn't want the added height of a 4x4 causing my 5er to sit unlevel
  • I don't go off-road towing the 5er
  • I wanted a truck with a Quad Cab but I needed it to be short enough to park in a crowded parking lot at work every day. (Hence the &quot;little 2WD shortbed&quot; comment)
  • I have a 78 CJ Jeep with 33&quot;x12.50's for going off-road
  • I wanted the largest towing capacity without getting a 3500
  • Plus,, I got a real good deal on this 2WD
<br>So far,,,, (knock on wood!) ,,, I have not needed 4WD when towing,,,, and hope I never do. ;D<br> Like Joel and the rest of the guys have said, &quot;Whatever fits your needs best&quot; ;D<br>
Old 12-27-2002, 02:11 PM

2wd gives better ride and handling because of the independent front suspension, costs less to buy and maintain and has a larger payload. With 4wd you have to subtract the weight of the transfer case and front axle from your payload or pin weight to stay within your GVW, when compared to a 2wd.<br><br>If you need the extra traction of 4wd because of things like climate, pulling boats up slippery launch ramps or the places you like to take your truck, there is no substitute.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:35 PM
Administrator

And that little blue truck is bad to the bone even stock, I'd hate to see what it would do with a few simple mods.<br><br>Guess we were not much help in answering your question. From the shortest to the biggest, they will all work real well.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:33 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Seems to me 4wd comes with the higher gvwr. Takes more spring to hold the front end torque, and heavier wheels.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:44 PM

One thing that was not mentioned is the fact that with a 4x4 you are able to use low range to back up into a tight space with out giving the clutch a rough time.( assuming that you are not on dry ashphalt
Old 12-28-2002, 09:19 AM

One thing I didnt see mentioned was: 4x4s sits too high for many 5th wheel trailers. I have yet to have a NEED to use 4wheel drive, a lot of extra stuff to weigh you down.<br><br><br><br>
Old 12-28-2002, 03:20 PM

The 2001 Dodge manual gives the same 8800 lb. GVW for all 3/4 tons. Max trailer weights are 400 to 450 lbs less for 4wd depending on trans type and rear end ratios. GCWR's are the same for both. Different years and Chevys may be different, but then again, maybe not.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:58 AM

Wilber1 is correct, GVWR is the same for 4x4 and 4x2 according to Dodge. On the 2003 the 2500 GVWR is 9,000#. Because of the heavier front suspension components The GTWR (tow rating) for the 4x4 2500 is 450# less than the same 2500 4x2.<br><br>The lower bed of the 4x2 is much more convenient for towing, easier to load gear from sides. With my 98 4x4 I had just under 6&quot; from overhand to side rails, my 03 4x2 has almost 10&quot;. When manuvering on uneven ground I had a side rail come within an inch of the overhang. Because of the 4&quot; extra clearance with my 03 4x2 that will never happen. In 4 years of towing with my 98 4x4 I never once was in a situation where it was necessary to use 4wd while towing. <br><br> ;D
Old 12-31-2002, 02:29 AM

What, they make 'em in 2wd too??

I don't normally use campgrounds. Mostly National Forest, any place I can get into. Yes, I HAVE used 4wd to get in and out of places so steep you couldn't do it without 4wd and low range. I have pulled the camper across sandy washes and camped in sandy spots where 2wd wouldn't get you. I've pulled the camper in snow so deep, 4wd wasn't enough; had to put the chains on. Some of these steep mountain roads (dirt) would be scary without 4wd to give you that extra bit of control. I have even towed my 35' 5er up Pikes Peak (guard rails? we don't need no stinkin' guard rails!) to Devil's Playground (13,000') to watch the race. I wouldn't want to go up *or* down that road without low-range.

But when it is all said and done, what matters is where YOU plan to take your rig!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:59 AM

ProspectorTim,<br><br>I am familiar with Colorado roads, my father was raised in CO, my mother lived therefor a dozen years. I got more cousins living in CO than you can shake a stick at. <br><br>That Pikes Peak Toll Road is a good road by Calif standards until you get above 10,000'. When the oxygen thins out it does funny things to some drivers brains, bout the same as pourin 3 or 4 shots of Scotch down their throats. Passing other carts on blind curves like they were in a Hill Climb.<br><br>As your signature indicates your auto 4x4 doesn't show an E-brake so i can understand needing the the 4x4 Low for extra braking. Colo Spgs PD doesn't like overheated brakes coming down Pikes Peak Road. Without an E-brake your brakes must be extra warm towing 13k# on that road. ???

Quick Reply: two wheel vs four wheel towing