Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

truck purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck purchase advice

First of, great site. I have only been here a few days, but I have spent a few hours already reading past threads.

Tons of information and I see a lot of my sleepless nights reading and learning about diesels when Mr. Sandman refuses to show me the love.

I have searched the site somewhat, going back about 25 pages, but haven't seen this specific thread posted, but I need a new (to me) truck for both towing, long and short distances, and just general daily driver.

My daily driving unfortunately involves mostly city driving and sitting in traffic, and my towing involves a boat trailer and boat about 8k lbs. and bringing my 4x4 Jeep to and from the trails and camp sites.

The towing usually will be out of town anywhere from 60 miles minimum to over 1200 to the Florida Keys.

I only need it for me, so I would like a single cab, short/reg bed, but I don't think anything bigger is needed, I'm a light traveler.

This will be my first diesel, so I know just the basics, but i was thinking (and pls correct me if im wrong) at least a '96 to get the option for an aftermarket engine management system to be able to switch from daily driving for fuel economy and long distance towing.

Normal creature comforts, and 4x4 since a lot of the lakes and 4x4 trails are well off the pavement, but not more than unkept dirt/gravel roads. I do have a love for Dodge, every one I have had worked really well for me, so I really want to stay with Mopar on this.

I can't see a very new truck, nothing more than a 2002 because, well I am cheap. So my thoughts so far are a 2nd Gen Dodge Diesel, but is one year better than another as far as maintenance, changes from the factory, ability to maintain and upgrade for efficiency and power. Is there a bog difference in the 12v vs 24v? what is this "p-pump" importance? etc.

So can I get some feedback on the 2nd Gen Rams and your opinions?

Thank you in advance,

Skipper
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Hey Skipper, I can't tell you anything about the 1st gen 12v but if you go with a 2nd gen watch for the 53 block on the '99 and 2000 my. From a lot of older posts quite a few members seem to feel the '04 was one of the better years. the 24v is electronically controlled while the 12v is all mechanical. Both have options for adding power but the 24v can do it with a programmer that allows changing the settings.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM

So the 24v are setup to be able to change from towing to traffic-ish settings?

Is there a big difference in the settings to really concern myself with changing settings on a diesel?

I would mostly be running a 50/50 towing - traffic usage.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 PM

24v trucks are good for ease of tuning with a computer programer 1998.5ish to 2002.first do a search for "53 block" They are also prone to vp44 pump failures and thats not a cheap repair $1200 to $2200 depending on what you buy. 24v is a bit more noisy that the 12v. 1994 to 1998.5 are 12v p pump motors they are not computer programable but you can put in fuel plates and adjust the afc to make good power and still be driveable in the city. 12v are pretty much dead reliable and will most likely never die. If i were to buy another truck i would be looking for a 98.5 12v quad cab 5 speed but that just me. dont forget guages!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Ok, got the 53, and got the vp-44, but what about the gauges?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM

If you go Gen 2, get a FP gauge, for sure. A Pyro and boost are nice, but not needed. A Quad cab is really nice so you have some space out of the weather(and lock up), plus you can recline the seats back further. My wife likes that if she wants a nap.
The 2001.5 and 2002 are considered the better of the Gen 2.rear disc brakes.
Make sure their are no codes before buying and verify that the lift pump is workiing.
Foy your needs, any of the trannys will do, but the 5 speed/6 speed are a little less trouble.
Before getting a tuner, see how you like it stock. It may do everything you require.
2003 is the beginning of the Gen 3's. They have no VP44 and may be more reliable, not to mention more torque & HP.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Always buy more truck than you need to haul what you currently have. When you get the dreaded "two-fers" and get a little bigger boat you may need the extra towing capacity. IMO
Jay
Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by supr
If you go Gen 2, get a FP gauge, for sure. A Pyro and boost are nice, but not needed.
aftermarket, or are some trim levels equipped with these?

A Quad cab is really nice so you have some space out of the weather(and lock up), plus you can recline the seats back further. My wife likes that if she wants a nap.
I an specifically looking not for a quad. Extended is ok, but unless I fall into a super deal, I don't need it, so I would rather not spend the money for doors, but rather lower miles or younger age.

but I do see your point.

The 2001.5 and 2002 are considered the better of the Gen 2.rear disc brakes.
Make sure their are no codes before buying and verify that the lift pump is workiing.
Foy your needs, any of the trannys will do, but the 5 speed/6 speed are a little less trouble.
Did they still make 12v after '99-00?

Before getting a tuner, see how you like it stock. It may do everything you require.
2003 is the beginning of the Gen 3's. They have no VP44 and may be more reliable, not to mention more torque & HP.
I dont initially plan to look at the 3G because I really want to stay within a preset budget. I could spend more, but im CHEAP . . .
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
Always buy more truck than you need to haul what you currently have. When you get the dreaded "two-fers" and get a little bigger boat you may need the extra towing capacity. IMO
Jay
yea . . . Im already feeling the "but this one is better" cloud fogging my brain and I haven't even started looking on the web!

This is just the research so when I do go looking in a few weeks, I can keep on track by knowing I did my research.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Amenisis
aftermarket, or are some trim levels equipped with these?

Aftermarket only. The fuel pressure gauge is paramount on a 98.5-02 24V truck to ensure the VP-44 is getting adequate fuel pressure from the lift pump. Otherwise, bye bye VP.

I an specifically looking not for a quad. Extended is ok, but unless I fall into a super deal, I don't need it, so I would rather not spend the money for doors, but rather lower miles or younger age.

but I do see your point.

A quad cab is the same size as an extended cab, but it has back doors. Those are the only body styles that a short bed was available on. If you get a regular cab, you're looking at a long bed

Did they still make 12v after '99-00?

Nope. 12Vs were built from 89-93 (1st gen, VE pump) and 94-98.5 (2nd gen, P7100 pump).

I dont initially plan to look at the 3G because I really want to stay within a preset budget. I could spend more, but im CHEAP . . .

Nothing wrong with that.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 69HemiGTX
Hope this helps.

it does.

in fact, all of the posts here are making me smarter!