Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

which truck to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which truck to buy?

Hi,
I am looking for a second hand pickup and need advices.I am looking into a truck capable of hauling easily 10K pounds trailer that would be a total weight including cargo/trailer.The trailer would be mostlikely a non gooseneck but a standard behind the truck hitch.

Budget is limiting me to a second gen. truck.Will a 2500 be O.K. or am I better with the 3500? I will look for a 5 speed and would check the 5th gear issue.Tell me if going with the 2500 ,with such load in mind,would I need to look for 4.10 gears or 3.73 or even 3.53 would be O.K.?

I have read about the serie 53 blocks...how can I identify such a block?Where they produced exclusively during specific years/models?

The 2500 is a better choice at other levels than hauling capacity as I would use the truck as a driver during winter months..less expansive to maintain I guess compared to the 3500.

About autos transmissions...they scare me of but maybe they can be adequate? With some addons like a cooler maybe?What is your experience with the autos. transmission hauling heavy?

Any relative suggestions welcome,
thanks to all,
Ron.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:00 PM

I am not sure how well a 2500 would tow 10k+ on a regular basis. I have used my 2500 more than a few times for around 8k and it does really well. I don't have a problem with my auto but if I would have known I would be towing this much I would probably have tried to find a 5-speed just because I believe the tranny is stronger. Autos can be made to work well though just depends on how much you want to spend I guess.

From what I have read about the 53 blocks is that it is kind of like the vp44. You either have problems or you don't. It seems to be hit and miss and I may be wrong about this since I haven't read too much but there are people that are having no probs with the 53 blocks. And to identify it I think it is stamped on the side of the block maybe left side? Again I don't know a lot about that but I am sure a search would do wonders as it has been discussed a lot. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:16 AM

The weight you are pulling may not be as important as issues like crosswinds and such. A 2500 will pull your 10 k just fine. Do Not get an automatic. The extra heat is a killer. Fuel mileage is poorer as well. Dual wheels provide extra stability. I would consider them if I were hauling a really tall fifth wheel and only if I were to haul it a lot of miles. If you need extra weight carrying capability, higher hitch weight for example consider timbrens. Get the best tires...... E's for the loads you are talking about or G's for serious loads.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:51 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bigger is better. I have yet to hear someone complain that their truck is handling loads too well.
Going from a 2500 to DRW is night and day in my book. Doesn't matter 5th wheel or bumper pull, my 1 ton feels MUCH better with a heavy load than my SRW.
I don't see where there will be all that much of difference in maintaining my dually, a few extra tires, tougher rotations, not much else.

As far as maneuverability around town, I do pretty well so far. Only thing that can be an issue is parking. I just don't take the truck into tight situations if I don't have to. I take the walk in most cases, parking out in no mans land to avoid ding and scratches.

Get the manual.