Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trip report: 1st major trip w/ truck, camper, and car

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trip report: 1st major trip w/ truck, camper, and car

So, I loaded up the cabover / slide-in camper on the truck, hooked up the hitch extension and car trailer, then loaded up the wife's Jetta and proceeded to venture out to the California coast with the wife and 2 kids.

We met up with my best friend and his family. Good times and fun was had all around.

My best estimate was about 17k gross combined weight.

Pulling though the hills, grades ranging from flat to 7%, I ran the rig up to the speed limit or exhaust temps of 1000-1100F (pre-turbo).

On up to 6% grades, I could maintain about 65mph, or about the speed limit, whichever was lower while managing exhaust temps. On 7% grades, I was down to 40mph, in 2nd gear, at 1000-1100F.

Even pulling hills in >100F weather, by managing the exhaust temps, the water temp would spike to 225, then settle back to 220F.

I also like having the jake on the downhill sides...makes SUCH a difference!

This truck just does not disappoint...until we passed thru Needles, Ca on Saturday afternoon...the AC went out. So, I unloaded the Jetta and had the wife and kids follow me home. What a hot miserable drive. I had little heat relief, until Tucson, but as the heat went down, the humidity went up! It looks like the clutch coil is not engaging...I just hope it's not the TIPM.

I did order the heater-treater door set, just to head off the blend door problem.

At least it was not a mechanical problem.

Overall, I am still quite happy with this truck!

Tony