Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer brakes lock up. Trailer wireing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
JAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through this the other weekend. Borrowed a trailer that is normally towed behind an older Ford. Had the 6 pin connector on it. When I hooked up and took off, I initially thought that the trailer was so used to being pulled by a gutless truck that the massive amount of power coming from the CTD was causing the trailer tires to burn rubber the tires were locked however. Simple, opened up the trailer connector and switched the black wire to the center terminal on the 6 pin connecter. Worked like a champ! Good luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Here is the page for the six-prong:

http://www.marksrv.com/6way.htm

Note what they say as to the brake/ground/and auxilliary terminals.
I see it strongly says that the center pin is not brakes, yet the adapter that I bought to go from 7 to 6 pin was wired exactly this way. Apearently there must be another code for 6 pins out there somewhere that these Mfg are going by. You would think they would know what they are doing, but appearently not. People like me have to find out the hard way and then tear the adapter apart and make it right. That sucks. I bought an adapter for my son-in-law from U-Haul and it was wired the same way as mine, battery to "S" and brakes to center. I had to re-wire his too.