Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer brake question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake question

I have a Tekonsha voyager brake box on my truck and Im pulling a 34' Wildwood travel trailer. Lately, when I sit at a red light and I let off the brakes, the trailer brakes will hold for a couple seconds and then let go. Also I have to constantly readjust it while traveling.

Is it on its way out, or is there something else I should look at? The box is approx. 6-7 years old.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It should hold for just a very small amout of time. Those controllers are very adjustable and lots of people swear by them. Your brake shoes may just be dragging. There are return springs that can break or get weak. You should repack your bearing once a year anyway, so it's always a good thing to take the drums off and look at things yearly.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
MTC

Yeah, I will be looking at the brakes and such probably tomorrow when I winterize the trailer(getting cold up here). Everything looked good in March when I de-winterized everything.

Im thinking that the controller is past its "shelf life" anyway. Prolly gonna replace it with a Prodigy for next season.

As far as the brakes holding, they hold for a good second or two before really letting go. Could it be the controller or most likely the springs like you stated?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Yep, had a Voyager too. Best thing that ever happened was when dealership "forgot" to take it out of my trade-in. Put in the P3 and I tell you, it's like night/day. Very first time I used her, didn't think she was working.

Then I tried rolling about 30mph, put the truck in neutral and hit the manual control...yep, no doubt it was working fine!!
Everything is so smooth and seamless now; none of the jerking/bouncing that went on with the Voyager.

*Note: The only reason I went with the P3 instead of the Prodigy, is I may upgrade the 5er to hydraulic brakes eventually.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:10 AM

had one too

It sorta hung up now and then too. I don't think it's anything with your brakes. I kept the instructions right there in the console and went through the adjustment routine from scratch numerous times. This on a 29' fiver, about 10 k. When I really needed brakes, it would clamp down, but never smooth during stop & go stuff. Also got a surprise after descending a steep grade with my flashers on - didn't know it would activate the brakes briefly with every flash!

The Voyager is really dated technology - there are lots of better controllers out there. Considering what's invested in your truck/trailer, I'd suggest it's time to upgrade....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
MTC

Thanks guys. I checked the brakes and all, it looked fine. Like you said, its dated technology and time for an update. Maybe Santa will bring me a Prodigy!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
DTR Advertiser

Voyagers, generally have three second delays on them.