Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer Brake Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Controllers

I'm looking at getting either a Tekonsha Primus TE90155 or a Hayes Genesis K181790. Any opinions on either of the two? This is where I'm looking at them http://www.brakecontroller.com/
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM

When I purchased my truck there was a tekonsha voyager installed by the previous owner. I towed with it for about 1,000 miles. I could never get it to adjust properly and was constantly messing with it. I finally ordered a tekonsha prodigy. Night and day. I can't believe the difference. Set it once and forget it. 3 boost settings and the thing is sweet. Never know the trailer is back there makes towing a dream. brakes come on perfectly. just my experience.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Installed my Prodigy two years ago, still works flawlessly and hasn't been adjusted since the day I installed it. You can't beat it for the money, don't go cheap here.

My 2 cents...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 PM

I have a Jordan. Set it and forget. About 100 dollars. It is just unbelievable how well it works with my truck and trailer.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned

I love my prodigy too!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shortbed rv
I have a Jordan. Set it and forget. About 100 dollars. It is just unbelievable how well it works with my truck and trailer.
I second the Jordan but unfortunately you can't get them right now. Mr. Jordan sold his company a while back to Campco and they are suposed to get them back on the market in the near future.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My vote is for the Prodigy. I have one in each truck.
Never heard anything bad about the Jordan, but you can't swap a Jordan to another truck in less than 10 minutes. With the Prodigy, I have needed to put it into a truck without a controller and the thing that took the most time was drilling the holes for the bracket.

Chris
Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After having a couple of other units, including the Jordan, I put in a Brakesmart and it is the smoothest one I've ever used. You really can get it set to where the trailer seems to disappear. They are more money, but worth it.

The Jordan was easier to adjust on the fly but it was quirky and kept trying to stick on. The Jordan linkage on the brake pedal is a good idea, in theory, but a hassle to get right. And it must be mounted such that the cable runs as straight as possible. So you end up putting it where it will work instead of where you want it. Not a big deal, but not like the Brakesmart.

The Prodigy relys on the deceleration rate of the vehicle to apply the trailer brakes. With the Brakesmart you can adjust it so the trailer brakes lead the truck brakes. Then on a long gradual downgrade you can just give it a little trailer brake once in a while to hold back a bit and it never tries to fishtail.

John
Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 PM

I tried a couple different el-cheapo's. Then after I did some research I bought a prodigy and man, what a difference.

I have recommended the prodigy to three others who have bought and and who are also convinced that this thing is sweet.

WR
Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Chapter President

OK, everyone is saying Prodigy, could someone send me a link? And I've looked at the Brakesmart, that is a cool sucker for about as much as my gauges do retail, what would be great is if the Commander also did trailer brakes.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 PM

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...igy&category0=
Here you go
Old 06-16-2007, 10:13 PM

I have the primus it works great no problems and is a litle smaller than the prodigy, that wy I went with it. There both made by Tekonsha.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Prodigy here too
Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Chapter President

The main problem I have with mine is it will gradually climb to full power, which I have no problem with when I push the brake pedal all the way trying to get shut down, but you can just be trying to gently slow down and it will still go to full power so it gets annoying and jumpy when driving in town and when I go to move from a stop it will feel like it released a lock on the wheels. I'm assuming non of these controllers have any problems similar to any of that?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
The main problem I have with mine is it will gradually climb to full power, which I have no problem with when I push the brake pedal all the way trying to get shut down, but you can just be trying to gently slow down and it will still go to full power so it gets annoying and jumpy when driving in town and when I go to move from a stop it will feel like it released a lock on the wheels. I'm assuming non of these controllers have any problems similar to any of that?
The P.O.S. that came with my truck was the same,that and when you let off the brake the trailer would "pound" you from behind (not my thing)
Nothing like that with the Prodigy.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controllers