Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing in OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b2 62/14 is a bigger turbo. A 3 GSK kit is a governor spring kit. I would recommend this kit. What happens on a 12v is that in drive or even second gear (not sure on second) your truck will pull to 2400 rpms and fall flat on its face. The governor kicks in. Put in a Governor spring kit and it will feel like you gained 100 hp but you really didnt gain anything. It will pull all the way up to 3200. That was the best mod I did to my 12valve. The 6 plate was the plate that I put on my old 12 valve. Worked great. The gauges are important. VERY IMPORTANT. You start to UP the power, you need to monitor. EGT is most important, boost and tranny temp are important as well. You can get those gauges almost anywhere. Just do a search. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks for clueing me in..I went to the TST site, to order the 3 GSK kit for the governor & the following is off their website,

Detailed Description
Increase the governor RPM cut-off with a 3000 or 4000 RPM Governor Spring Kit. Kit includes the springs, seats, and writtin instructions.

""NOTE: Only recommended for use with the TST #4 (in 160, 175, or 180HP engines) or #10 (in 215HP engines) plates and are for competition use only. Two sets of valve springs (listed below, are highly recommended for the 4000 RPM kit).""

So it looks like they don't recommend it for the #6 kit..

Also what does the EGT monitor?? & can I install these gauges myself??
Old 04-27-2007, 08:11 PM

The 3gsk is a governer spring kit thet lets the engine give full fuel to 3000 rpm instead of 2500. Most people do it. A 3gsk and whats called a 0 plate will get you about 300hp. Just be careful once you start adding hp you can't stop.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Got another couple questions..
What is EGT, & what is the name of the gauge I need to monitor EGT,? Is it called an EGT gauge??
Also I ordered the #6 kit, I won't be pulling anything till this fall, but driving it empty except for a couple of sheets of plywood.. Can I put the #6 kit in & drive without the gauges till fall, or should I just not install the kit until I get the gauges. This kit will take me to 250 hp.. They want $410 for 3 gauges, & the gauge holder, & mama says to wait for the gauges a bit, Income tax & all..
Thanks,
John
Old 04-28-2007, 07:25 PM

EGT is exaust gass temp and the gauge is called a pyrometer gauge. Also try Dieselmanor.com and citydiesel.net for the gauges they have better prices. I just ordered a gauge from Dieselmanor and there customer service was vey good.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 PM

The EGT gauge is a must once you start messing around with boosting the engine's power if you're towing. Empty, it'll be pretty hard to get the EGT too high unless you really lug teh engine or hold it to the floor for extended periods. The #6 kit and the governer spring basically just add fuel. This adds power. Problem is, more fuel = more power, but it also = more heat in the combustion chambers. If you do not monitor it, EGT can climb high enough (say on a long steep hill) to possibly damage your engine - and that can be very expensive because it can melt things in the engine (usually pistons).

I'd also suggest a transmission temp gauge with the sender mounted in the hot trans line that goes out to the cooler. It looks like this, and is available here DIESEL MANOR <-- CLICK HERE. Why put in the Hot line? THIS IS WHY <-- CLICK HERE

As a fellow Canadian, I have bought stuff from DIESEL MANOR over the phone, and they are great to deal with.

I also tow 9000# RV (34') in OD without any trouble.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the answers, mystery no longer, but the more I'm learning here, the more questions I have..
So I am monitoring my EGT, I'm on a long steep hill, & the temp goes up, how do I get it so the EGT goes down, down shifting, or letting up on the throttle? Also with the tranny gauge, if it climbs in temp, what is the method of lowering it,??
May I ask where in Sask. you live??

All this is getting very interesting, but I sure don't want to damage my motor, as much as I do want the added hp, but not at the risk of damage to the truck. Almost having second thoughts about installing the kit.. Most of my pulling is from Sask. to Tx.. with no real long steep inclines, other than Quepelle Valley, & a few hills in the Dakotas.
John
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM

You can back off the skinny petal to control the egt since they are related to fuel delivery. As long as the tranny is not slipping it should not over heat but I have a gauge on it just in case. If the tranny gets too hot you can pull over put it in neutral and run it up to 1500 to cool it back down.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by superuke
Thanks for all the answers, mystery no longer, but the more I'm learning here, the more questions I have..
So I am monitoring my EGT, I'm on a long steep hill, & the temp goes up, how do I get it so the EGT goes down, down shifting, or letting up on the throttle? Also with the tranny gauge, if it climbs in temp, what is the method of lowering it,??
May I ask where in Sask. you live??

All this is getting very interesting, but I sure don't want to damage my motor, as much as I do want the added hp, but not at the risk of damage to the truck. Almost having second thoughts about installing the kit.. Most of my pulling is from Sask. to Tx.. with no real long steep inclines, other than Quepelle Valley, & a few hills in the Dakotas.
John
Supeuke, don't be afraid of damaging your engine. It is Really easy to manage once you get the EGT-Pyro guage. One example, you are pulling a long steep hill and your guage starts to read to about 1200 (pre turbo), all you do is simply slow down and shift down if you have too, the more rpm's in a lower RPM with get more air and more boost pumping through your engine, essentially cooling it down. You can run at 1200* all day long, you just don't wanna push much past there for extended periods of time (more than a minute or so).. You have a really tough engine and with the 3GSK kit and the 6 plate, you should have all the power you ever wanted. Especially if you were fairly happy with the way your engine ran prior to the mod. The key to it is self control, if you see the gauge start pushing into the red, back off a little, if it is still hard to control, shift down and pull the rest of the hill in a lower gear. It might sound harder than it actually is. The 3kGSK is the key to get more power outta your truck. You will be blown away at how powerful your truck really is. I envy you 12V guys with being able to spend about half what us 3rd Gen guys do, to make very good power with an almost indestructible engine. Get yoru gauges from some place like the other guys mentioned.

Oh, the tranny, if it start heating up, the same process for cooling EGT's will cool your tranny. Don't sweat it. I guarantee if you do it, you will think you bought a new super truck. Scotty
Old 04-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Thanks very much to everybody.. I didn't order the 3GSK , because of the previous post I put in, they wrote that they don't recommend the 3 GSK kit with the #3 or #6 kits.. I'm getting the #6 kit from TST I think.. Do I have to order the 3GSK kit from them also or can I order it from anywhere else where the price might be better.. If I put a 3GSK kit in right away does it have to be monitored by a gauge, & if it does which gauge?? or can it just be put in prior to the #6 kit, & put the #6 kit in later.. or is it best to put everything in at the same time?? If I can put the 3GSK in first then I can see how each [performs as they are added to the truck...
John
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM

Found this on ebay, much cheaper thothers I've seen from manufacturers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...08323225QQrdZ1

Any comments on these gauges , I'm interested in the boost, pyrometer, trans gauges..

And would I be able to hook up the trans. gauge to this pipe, it says it will accept 1/8" fitting, but the gauge doesn't say what size the sender is.. Also the pyrometer shows quite high as compared to most at 1500..

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG2.asp

Thanks, John

Last edited by superuke; 04-30-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Superuke, I would go for the 3kGSK kit. Reason being, you will have a much more useable power range for your truck. That is what is going to help with temperatures and towing performance. I think the 3kGSK is not "NEEDED" for the #6 install. I would think to get all you want out of the plate and engine and that would alow you to pull your entire RPM range. It would actually be pretty good testing to install the GSK first, drive the truck for awhile, report to us and let us know what you think of the mod, then, once you are used to that, add your #6 plate and stand by. Once, you get your plate and GSK in, then install your gauges. Those guages on Ebay seemed really nice to me and a great price. As long as you like them, that is what matters. You are not racing your truck, you just wanna know what is going on with your truck. I would get those three, and then let us know what you think of your new truck? I would think you would be extremely happy with those mods. 250HP and 650FtLbs is nothing to laugh at, and will also extend your tranny life. Good luck and let us know what you are going to do. Scotty
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

Check out this thread it might help you out a bit.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=148400
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks 74dart & Scotty.. I phoned TST to order the 3GSK from them, & they again said the #6 kit & 3GSK will not work together, said if I put in a 3GSK kit in, then I have to get the pump recalibrated.. I wanted to order both kits from the same supplier as Scotty suggested.. I guess if I forced the issue then they'd ship it.. yet everyone on the forum agree a #6 kit & a 3GSK , would be my answer. I'm ready to go with all recommendations..
John
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM

As for EGT temps, dont panic until at least 1350* pre turbo. After that, only for brief moments ( I will let my truck hit 1500 if I am very close to the top of the hill or at the end of the track) Another very helpful item on a diesel engine with a turbo that tows is a turbo timer. This will alow your turbo to come down in temp before the truck shuts off. This is very important as oil will "coke" inside of a turbo if it is shut off while too hot.

I do a fair bit of towing and have learned several tricks over the years. Those are just a couple. I wish I knew more about 12 valves to help you out, but there are lots of guys on here that have mastered the 12valve engine

kevin

Quick Reply: Towing in OD