Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing 22K what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spend a bit of time on the Escapees HDT forum.
Consider towing with a "serious" Cummins !
(for less than the price of a pickup!)
JC
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 AM

Sell it and get a hand shaker dually. Sell it, get a Mini Van and stay in a motel.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Hello Dave, I think I've seen you over on RV.net. Well I was right where you are a few months ago. I was on the ragged edge towing my trailer for over a year and I never really liked it. Sure there's others on this forum and others pulling everything you are and more and say it's OK. Even I did it.
Well it's pretty simple to just show you what I think is the right thing to do.

Good or bad, Ford has the best tow capacities of any of the trucks out today.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM

So what have you done?

gross#25,320
steer#4880
drive#6420
trailer#14020

Take'er easy, everyone's in such a hurry these days!
Attached Thumbnails Towing 22K what would you do?-new-002.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 PM

OK... catching up on this thread.

No... not gonna go back to motels - we are going to tow this beast somehow.

FORD? Well... are they making engines that work for a while yet? Let's not go there.

re: 6000+ on the drive axle. What tires and wheels under that? I'm looking to order those Toyos I keep reading about (haven't found them yet) and still don't know if I need new wheels or not.

I'm still up in the air on my tranny. We just towed 650 miles and I did 55 mph the whole way. It was flatlands and no head wind but if I pushed it above 55 (the engine had the grunt for that np) the trans temps would climb. In fact, every once in a while it would climb anyway.

Here's my issue... most folks I've met (even recently) towing heavy with my truck don't have a trans temp gauge. They say "oh mine tows fine"... If I was not watching my gauge, I'd say my setup towed fine too - but since I can see the temps climbing I'm concerned.

I'm leaning towards drilling out the check-valve and seeing how the tranny does at higher temps. Still pondering.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:12 AM

Nope, Not saying a Ford is the only way to go Dave. It's the dually, that is what I'm pointing out. Dodge make's a great dually too.
My 06' 48re would run around 220-230deg. on the steeper hills, and I have 3.73 gears, normal flat freeways 155-165deg, max 180, always in tow mode.
As far as towing that new big toyhauler with your truck, well you have all the right stuff on it by your sig. Maybe a small towchip like a Quadzilla XZT tow chip. That will give you some more poop.
Short of going to 19.5's you'll always be on the ragged edge for axle weight and all the other capacities. Like I said I did it for over a year. It was that little voice in the back of my head telling me I was maxing my specs and that worry of towing my big trailer and getting a blowout on the rear that made me finally do the right thing to tow heavy.
Hope you get your tranny heat issue fixed. Good Luck
Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 AM

I tow professionally a 40ft gooseneck flatbed. I have a DRW with a 6 speed manual and 4:10.

I set it at 65mph cruise and can drive from MN to Seattle with no problem, I love cruise control, tap the + for extra speed passing then tap - to back down again.

My biggest issue with SRW and your towing is to consider traveling at 65mph and a semi passes you at 75mph with crosswinds...... good luck keeping your rig straight and on same lane. The stress of this would make me switch to DRW without any hesitaion.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dual wheels

Originally Posted by oilfield-trash
Get you a truck with training wheels on it. You'll love it, compared to a srw.

I know nothing about converting to drw but after having a dually myself the stability is second to none. I pull a 36Ft GN ocasionally and when a big truck blows by I hardly even feel it and mine is a first gen. Like he said get training wheels, you will never go back.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM

I've been trying to get some bottom line numbers on an 08 MC dually and finally yesterday someone gave me a number (without trying to get me to come sit in their showroom and be sold at).

my truck +26,000 (+taxes/tags) = 08 6.7 SLT dually, 4.10, auto delivered from West VA to NJ.

I'm going to do a bit more shopping... but this is tempting. This deal kind of just fell in my lap and I have not followed up on all the details yet, but the bottom line gives me an idea... I'm guessing it's 39K for the truck with 13K for my trade. Not sure what they included for a 450 mile round trip delivery/pick-up... Gotta think I can beat that staying local, but I'm not at all against driving a few hundred miles to get a fair deal.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And why exactly would anyone buy a brand new truck today, when so many 3rd gen used ones are available for a very decent price? You could almost trade your SRW for a dually and get the truck you need, with no money out of pocket. $26k buys a lot of fuel for the truck and for the driver (beer)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
And why exactly would anyone buy a brand new truck today, when so many 3rd gen used ones are available for a very decent price? You could almost trade your SRW for a dually and get the truck you need, with no money out of pocket.
Surely one of my options, though I have not seen many good used trucks for sale in my area. I could start to look a bit harder I suppose. I'm actually not inclined to try another 48RE with more wheels on it though... so I'd be looking for a 6 speed.

Factors for the new truck: 68RFE w/exhaust brake, Megacab, hopefully a longer service life than anything used I'd buy (or keeping what I've got).

My wife is frowning about the costs though and I guess I've got a little NTF (New Truck Fever) ...so thanx for urging me to step away from the show room. (still, if I could trim a few thousand more off the deal...)
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Good luck Dave with your quest.

I'll just add that when I pull the dyno, I am at 22,020 lbs last time scaled. The truck is a 04.5 3500 325/600 stock with a stock 48re tranny. It now has about 112k miles on it and the tranny is showing no signs of weakness yet. It's best dyno is 287/520's I believe.

Pulling Monteagle in Tennessee, Jellico, West Virginia and Virginia, ah shoot all over the east coast and I have not had a hill kill it. I've been very impressed in fact. Point being, I wouldn't worry about the 48re if you remaining stock otherwise. I don't have a gauge. There is a light for trans temp I have never seen on, but my feeling was it's under warranty. If it can't take it, they can fix it. So far it's taken it really well.

And I will agree with some here, I like the dually better for a lot of weight.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by DavidTD
... at 22,020 lbs last time scaled. The truck is a 04.5 3500 325/600 stock with a stock 48re tranny. It now has about 112k miles on it and the tranny is showing no signs of weakness yet. ... ah shoot all over the east coast and I have not had a hill kill it. I've been very impressed in fact. Point being, I wouldn't worry about the 48re if you remaining stock ...
Maybe these trannys are able to take more heat than people think or maybe my factory gauge is not all that accurate... I guess I could push it a bit more, let it run up to 240 or 250 before I back it off. Hard to say since the only think I've ever seen on trans temps is a chart that makes no sense and seems more like marketing fluff to make me buy ATF than any real info (still... I'm treating those temp specs like they are important)

I watched the tach more closely on my last trip towing and I'm no longer convinced that the TC is slipping to create the heat - the RPM's stay right on as the temp climbs. Now I'm thinking that when the tranny starts to carry higher HP (and I'm still stock 305) it heats up. I've now met several people on-line towing what I'm towing and no reported blown tranny's yet.

Still pondering this one.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Dave, one thing that works on the 04.5 that may or may not work on your 04 is manually pulling it to 2nd gear. In my and other 04.5's, if you manually select 2nd, it will lock the converter once you hit (if I remember) 30 mph. Very nice for starting out and pulling big grades.

No doubt the trannies must heat up with the load, but so far, my light has never come on and the tranny fluid looked great last change. If the temps are too high for your comfort, you can always add a deeper pan or aux cooler.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to stir the pot a bit, here's a link to my last year's project.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/20044375.cfm
The wheels are Mickey Thompson aluminum 16"x12". Yes 12" wide. 3600 lb. load rating each. The Nitto Mud Grapplers are the widest in the biz. 14.53" wide, but only 32.8" tall. Load rated @ 3415 lbs. (Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ's 375x55R16's, 33x15.50's are only 11.8" wide. Kind of a sham)
The Nittos are defacto "Super Singles", but I just call them my "Redneck Duallies". Track is 14" wider than SRW's. The rubber on the ground is about the same as a pair of duals, and within an inch or two, as wide a track(for stability).
I've had these on a year now and like them a lot. I carry a Lance camper and pull my Jeep on a car trailer with about 16,000 lbs. gross. I know that's 6000 less than 22000 lbs, but the Dana 80 is virtually the same for the 3/4 ton and one ton. Only the outer hub is longer on the 1 t. I have the camper/tow packages available in '01 which look a lot like the one ton secondaries.

Quick Reply: Towing 22K what would you do?