Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire Chains

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Tire Chains

Looking like I'll be pulling a fiver trough the Rockies in the winter. What are the recommended tire chains, both type and brand?

I'm thinking v bar 3 rail with cams on the drivers, diamond chains on one trailer axle.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I know an old trucker that said he used to put chains also on the left front only (IIRC) to keep the front end from sliding out. He was going over mountain passes in WA state. Maybe some of the truckers on here will chime in regarding that idea.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son and I both use a vee bar chain but he's broken many cross chains, someone on here recommended "Pewag square link" chains and I have tried to get some but they are not available in my area. I did research them and they seem to be the best available and readily available in the US. It is possible to slip the chains on without having to move the vehicle if they are cut to size which is something you should do, cut the excess links off. We also use 2 rubber bungees per wheel to take up any slack.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Reed
Sounds like a good plan. I know an old trucker that said he used to put chains also on the left front only (IIRC) to keep the front end from sliding out. He was going over mountain passes in WA state. Maybe some of the truckers on here will chime in regarding that idea.
I chained one front wheel on a fire engine years ago when we nearly lost it over a bank of I-84 near Troutdale in thick silver thaw. That was a very nasty night with a set of doubles slid off on its side and a tanker also on its side with the cab on the rear box of the double set and I nearly followed them, with chains on the drive tires. Police car went off after we got there and another set of doubles continued past us and I watched the back box nearly jackknife and total a BC's car.

It was not my engine house and I could only find one chain. If I had two I would have put both on. I don't recall chaining a front axle on a semi but I don't think I ever had enough chains to do it. I only drove part time for years and tried to not work involving snow driving.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might try tirechains.com or tirechainsrus.com or contact pewag usa at 1-800-445-2895 and talk to them
Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Chains are good to have for emergencies, but if you wait a day or two the storm will be over, and the passes cleared and sanded. Best not to drive during the storms if you can help it (or the wind events that usually proceed & follow them by a day or so).
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Been a long time since I've done any serious (commercial) gear jammin'. used to be Peerless was the chain to get. Are they still good, or are they Chinese junk like the rest?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Been a long time since I've done any serious (commercial) gear jammin'. used to be Peerless was the chain to get. Are they still good, or are they Chinese junk like the rest?
Check out the Pewag square link chains.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
My son and I both use a vee bar chain but he's broken many cross chains, someone on here recommended "Pewag square link" chains and I have tried to get some but they are not available in my area. I did research them and they seem to be the best available and readily available in the US. It is possible to slip the chains on without having to move the vehicle if they are cut to size which is something you should do, cut the excess links off. We also use 2 rubber bungees per wheel to take up any slack.
I just got my winter flyer from fort garry and they list the pewag chains....no prices for them though, might be worth a call if you need them
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2006BLKMegacab
I just got my winter flyer from fort garry and they list the pewag chains....no prices for them though, might be worth a call if you need them
Thanks for the info, I had never heard of them so might be new to Edmonton, we need a set for the 2013 so I'll check them out.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I can help, curiosity dictates I have to ask what you running for trucks haha
Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2006BLKMegacab
Glad I can help, curiosity dictates I have to ask what you running for trucks haha
My signature shows the trucks in post #3, a 2013 Laramie 3500 Crew cab SB 4X4 SRW (sons) and my 2011 Laramie 3500 Crew Cab SB 4X4 SRW soon to be a 2014.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I run the square links. I have had broken v-bars and when they start slappin the fender and wheel well they can wreak havoc.

My system is put them on tight and criss cross two 12" rubber bungees at 12 and 3 oclock, and cross them to 9 and 6, hooking them thru from the tire side so teh hook faces outward.

I then secure the tail links along the outer ring rearward with two heavy zip ties.

If you are in for a week or so of bad weather, air down the tires, chain em up tight and re-air into the chains. I would do this in the mountains on all four tires and never got too excited....
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember- chains tend not to give a whole lot of lateral grip- just forward.

And the rules say you gotta have them- doesn't say you have to use them.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Just remember- chains tend not to give a whole lot of lateral grip- just forward.

And the rules say you gotta have them- doesn't say you have to use them.
That's what diamond pattern chains are for.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains