Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tips for towing in icey or snowy conditions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I'm a big fan of IMI hardware

I stick to long guns on the road, since the rules are much easier to deal with across state lines. Have you put many rounds through that hand-cannon?
Just got it so no, only about 100 or so. Hand cannon is right! I think it could actually knock a small person right on their butt!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Just got it so no, only about 100 or so. Hand cannon is right! I think it could actually knock a small person right on their butt!
Especially if the small person was on the wrong end!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Don't be afraid to use 4x4. Ya got it use it. Just gotta watch out for the others.
My advice also...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Especially if the small person was on the wrong end!
You know, after watching the Mythbusters episode on that, you would think that it's possible but it actually isn't; especially if the person is NOT wearing a bullet-proof vest. The bullet does not transfer the enegry to the person, it merely travels through the person. They even tried some very high-powered .50 cal riffles and could barely get "Buster" to fall off the hook let alone be throne back. It makes sense, because the force would have to be so great that it throws the shooter back as far as the person who gets hit (i.e., for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction yada yada yada). It works great in the movies though!!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

Longhorn theres lots of places around here that you take a rifle with you when you head out.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by longhorn
Longhorn theres lots of places around here that you take a rifle with you when you head out.
Hey Longhorn, I agree, but hardly ever add it to my list when planning a trip across the nation and back! And I like your name....others might think one of us is talking to ourselves....and answering-LOL

Good talking to you!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned

I use the nic Longhorn in lots of diffrent forums.
Everyone asks if im from texas.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 PM

Im Longhorn everywhere else too.....but somebody already had that name when I joined here!! Hope my '06 version' is ok with you??

I use longhorn because I own 2 different companies with the same name.
Longhorn Resources Inc, and Longhorn Resources Group Inc. I get the texas thing a bunch too!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Chapter President

The one thing I didn't really see mentioned was some warm clothes and blankets if you get stranded but if your driving that much you proably have it covered.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:06 PM

Again thanks guys, been a huge help,,,, Not new to snow even if I lived in Cali for 30 years...In my younger years us mudders types would go out and save ppl stranded for free and wouldn't except money, fun to run on the streets with no one out there,,,
Old 11-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by haloman
The one thing I didn't really see mentioned was some warm clothes and blankets if you get stranded but if your driving that much you proably have it covered.

And some beanie-weenies, vienna-sausages, crackers, chips, snickers, plastic forks, potted meat, peanuts-roasted-in-the-hull, and plenty of drinks.

Also, some good books and some crossword puzzles.

Time passes a lot quicker when you are eating and entertained.

Time passes quite slow, when you are bored, listening to your belly growl.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
Hey good points Silverado! But I had to laugh a little at your post!

Even I carry a good knife always, but where does a rifle and cartridges come into the picture when preparing for a road trip!!! LOL

Road Flares, First aid kit, Washer Fluid, oh..and dont forget your rifle! Thanks my fellow Canadian, you gave me a good chuckle tonight!
The rifle is for animals struck on the road. The one time I had to use it a buck had been struck and would have certainly caused another accident shortly, (nighttime, blind corner, etc.) meanwhile the vehicle in question was in the ditch. Also I just hate to see animals suffer.

And of course during the appropriate seasons, the tags are right next to the ammo.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM

Im Longhorn everywhere else too.....but somebody already had that name when I joined here!! Hope my '06 version' is ok with you??

I use longhorn because I own 2 different companies with the same name.
Longhorn Resources Inc, and Longhorn Resources Group Inc. I get the texas thing a bunch too!
That's funny, I use Silverado pretty much everywhere, also b/c it's my company name!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Guys, Silverado and I are both from Canada, this is why it is rip-roarin funny! Our gun laws are so stupid, even if you were a farmer or hunter, you wouldnt have a rifle and shells on the list! Cracked me up big time!

Silver....get back to us buddy, and fill us in!
Copy that on the assinine firearms laws (friggin Lieberals and their C68 bs ) but for the record, it's perfectly legal to have a rifle and cartridges in your vehicle, just not loaded.

Of course when you stop you go from "transporting" to "storage" which means something different under the law.

In any case, this is Alberta, so you know we've got no worries here. It was the same when I lived in the Kootenays of BC... not so much when I lived in Vancouver LOL
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 PM

Ive transferred to Montana State in Bozeman and Ill be making the trip with my favorite horse from northern VA to SW MT January 10. Ive done this trip 3X's back and forth, but never in the winter or w/ my horse and trailer. This thread was "just what the doctor ordered"--it was just what I needed to see (im going to print off some of the posts). My best friend is coming with me (the human one), this way we can drive straight through and hopefully make it a bit easier on my horse. Where can I find the best deals on truck chains and the cables for the trailer tires. I didnt even know that there was such a thing as trailer tire cables!
Great info, thanks a lot, Drew Stuart

Quick Reply: Tips for towing in icey or snowy conditions...