Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Timbrens or Firestone ride rights????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Timbrens or Firestone ride rights????

Got a new horse trailer. I have noticed it dosen't ride as good as I would like and if you hit a bump I will get a jar if it is of some size. I am sitting on the helper springs. I found the Timbrens for $200 shipped and the Firestone Ride Rites for $247 shipped without a gauge or pump. I have a cheap battery operated air compressor I could use if I did airbags. Any response would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
firestone ride rite
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 PM

I've got the Firestones. Mounted the fill valves above the license plate. I use a small Pep Boys compressor that works darn quick. There is no volume in the bags, so you don't need a lot of air. I just fill them when I need them.

I tow the same heavy load usually so I know what PSI to run. Since you will be hauling the same load as well, just take note of what pressure you like and repeat.

I run 10lbs on the street and don't even know they are there.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 PM

i have firestones also and like them alot i alos run around town empty with approx 10lbs in them and you can tell there even there.. they really come in handy at night when you have a load on you and you keep getting flashed cause your blinding them.... not anymore... thanks to Firestones..
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM

sorry CANT tell there even there
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 PM

I use Timbren front and rear. Why? I bought them to see if they would work because they are cheap and very very quick and easy to install. Well, they work great. I have a Hydraulic winch and winch mount in front, an additional 200+ lbs. The ones in the front touch the axle housing all the time. The ones in the rear are a little more than an inch above the axle housing. When there is no load on rear the ride is normal, with no adjusting necessary. When you load the bed down the Timbrens touch the axle and are progressive on the stiffness. I haul a Polaris ranger in the bed of my truck with all my gear underneath it. Then I hook up my 30' trailer. The Timbrens work great. I was fully prepared to go the air route if the Timbrens did not work out. But they work really good.

BTW, the photos in my gallery are before I put on the Timbrens. I will take a photo fully loaded trailer and all so you can see an after photo of how truck sits with the timbrens.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Do some good forum searching. You can find Timbrens for $100 for the 3/4 ton $140 for 1 ton.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 PM

I would go with the firestiones, they have greater adjustabilitiy for different sized loads.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Wonder why you should need this. The truck should ride better with a little weight back there. Does it sag?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Firestone air bags...
Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM

With my LQ horse trailer in tow my rear axle weight is 7000lbs loaded. It is sagging some when hooked up. No load no problem. Looking for a little help. Riding down the highway it is fine unless you hit a bump, then you get a good jar.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that the reason your getting that is because your trailer is putting just enough load on your truck that it sags to almost your helpers, but not quite. When you hit a bump you're bouncing off the helpers. This really gives a harsh jar. You need more tongue weight so that you're sitting firmly on the helpers and this effect will be gone. You will really be pleased with the ride. I've had this experience. More tongue weight or alot less. Hope this helps and maybe saves you some doe. Spend the money on other mods instead.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 PM

I have the Firestone Ride Rites, work great. I had some push-pull motions from my bumper pull horse trailer and some jarring from my GN, also in downhill cornering turns felt some pogo out of the front end. Both trailers had me squatting in back some. The ride rites took it all out. I know nothing about the timbrins. When I was asking the same question(s) as you, I read tons of threads, and finally decided to get the Ride Rites as they had many more people singing their praises.

CD
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM

That is exaclty what is happening. I am on the helper springs but when I hit a bump I come off and whack back down on the helper springs.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Spooler, If I were you I'd definitly save my money and try to figure out how to load the trailer differently. Alot easier and cheaper. My .02. Paul

Quick Reply: Timbrens or Firestone ride rights????