Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Timbrens or Firestone Bags???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbrens or Firestone Bags???

Looking to upgrade my suspension with Billsteins and some sort of overload option when I tow my 5er. I have heard good and bad for both, just wondering what some of you think that tow with either. Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM

I have timbrens, I have had bout 4000 lbs in the bed of a 2500 and it was still sitting level. Alot less maintainence then the air bags
Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I hear the only disadvantage to Timbrens is they go hard when it's cold. Somebody on here removed theirs in the winter.

Less than 1/2 the cost of airbags though....
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM

I've never used Timbrens. Have had Firestone and now Pacbrake bags on newer truck. I like the ability to air up and down as the load requires while keeping a decent ride when empty. No problems with either brand.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto, except the other brand I had was Airlift. I made sure there were no burrs on the tube ends and used faucet grease. 9 yrs on the Airlift and 7 yrs since I've had the FS bags and no problems. The Timbrens are 1" from hitting the axle when empty but I prefer having even more control. It's nice to be able to adjust the psi for the road conditons. Craig
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Have had the timbrens for 8 +/- years and am perfectly content with their function. Did have airbags at 1 point and took them off, timbrens are just about as maint free as it gets, put them on and never worry about loads again. Would do it again if I ever buy again.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM

I have firestone air bags on the back end of all my trucks, and timbren bumper stop's replacing the factory bumper stops, Never had to replace a firestone air bag , Have had to replace the front timbren stop of the front, But where i work and drive , the roads a horrible, Lots of mud, sand bad hole's in the roads, roads built on muskeg, the timbren's on the front do take alot of the bottoming out , and help smooth the ride , not as severe bottoming out when you hit a hole too fast, Air bags on the back i can adjust up and down as needed, i have onboard air compressor's on my trucks also. Depends on how and where you drive? what you need or like
Old 05-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Starter Sponsor

The main advantage air bags have is the ability to adjust to whatever conditions you have, whether it be road type, weight of load, or even wind conditions. If you planned to use a controller you can adjust the psi on the fly to best suite you current conditions from inside the cab.

Kit 57295 is the one we offer for your application. It is a simple bolt on kit, so you wouldn't need to drill any holes.

We also offer a product similar to Timbrens, called AirCell. Operates under the same principle, they are just slightly smaller than a typical Timbren. The one we offer for your application is 52204. We typically suggest using these on a vehicle that has a constant additional weight, such as a work truck loaded down with tools and ladder racks.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM

I cannot thank you enough for all the replies. I tow my 5th wheel 4 times a year and was looking for a smoother ride the rest of the time. I am leaning toward the air bags; I like the option of adjusting when empty. Right now my truck is so stiff, unlike my old F150 Lariat that would glide over bumps. I feel every little rock with my Dodge, most of it has to do with a junk seat, but thought some Billsteins and bags would help with the ride. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

neither Timbrens or air bags will change the ride when empty. It will still ride the same unless loaded. With the 5ver hooked up you will get the benifits both have to offer. If you go with air bags the Airlift wireless controller is great. I have the PacBrake bags but the Airlift compressor kit with wireless controller. No need to find a location to mount the gauges and inflate/deflate switches.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM

The best thing for my empty ride was cutting off the bottom OL springs. I don't need those bone jarring things with the bags. Craig
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 PM

Timbrins

I have had Timbrins front and back.
I use a weight equalizing hitch when I tow, so I needed some help up front too.
When there is no load, they don't even touch, so no effect on the unladen ride.
I have never used bags, so I cannot comment on them at all.
However I am totally satisfied with the ride, and overload capacity on these. Also, I live in the mountains of eastern Oregon, and travel to Texas: Extremes of temperature have been absolutely no problem.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
For all you guys using Timbrens.....
What kit number do you have? And how far are your Timbrens sitting above the axle when unloaded? Trying to do some comparisons. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM

I just bought the CA2500 or whatever the standard size is for my 2500. To my surprise, mine sat right on the axle with no load. My stock leaf springs at about 95k miles must be sagging some.

I had to remove the spacer, since it was sitting really hard on the timbrens with them on.

I get a slight kick in the rear end when I go over rough roads, otherwise unnoticeable.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I ask because there is three kits available for the '94-'02 Dodge 4wd rear axles. Kit DR1525H4 and DR3500 and DR3520. When I asked, I was asked back if I had the heavy duty model. I said there is no HD model in those years. All parties confused, they then asked me how inches the axle was from the frame and given those dimensions, they sent me the DR1525H4. The main reason I was OK with not being positive was because Timbrens offers a lifetime warranty for satisfaction. Meaning if at any time they aren't working right, they'll send me whatever I need to make it right. I thought that was really great customer service.

This is where my Timbrens sit unloaded.

Quick Reply: Timbrens or Firestone Bags???