Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Timbrens

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbrens

I have an 06 3500 Mega Cab. My new trailer has a tongue weight of around 1500 lbs and was causing a lot of porpoising on bad roads like I10. So I bought Timbrens and installed them. I had to jack the truck up to get them on so they are always engaged, even with no load. This helped a lot but the ride is very stiff.

I think what was/is happening is that the load caused my rear to sag which engaged the overload spring, therefore the porpoising as it bumped on and off the overload spring but now the Timbrens keep it off the overload spring. Would I have been better off just removing the overload spring and living with the sag?

Anyone have the timbrens on a 2500?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was under the impression that the Timbrens were to act like the overloads and that you weren't supposed to be on them all the time but I've never installed a set so I may be wrong. I'm sure that someone who has a set will chime in here soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
I was under the impression that the Timbrens were to act like the overloads and that you weren't supposed to be on them all the time but I've never installed a set so I may be wrong. I'm sure that someone who has a set will chime in here soon.
You are right. When I got mine they sat on the axle full time so I called Timbren who said that was OK. After going about 2K miles on them I called and complained of the rough ride, they sent a lighter model which helped but still sits on the axle all the time
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
wrm

timbrens come with a spacer to add height. if you used them take the spacers out .if you did not use them check and see if you have all the factory axle spacers in place if you dont this will make the timbrens touch all the time-rough ride- most people that pull trailers will take some or all the axle spacers out to get a more level ride making the timbrens that were for a stock truck end up being to long they do make shorter ones .call them and explain they will help you . there great people to work with.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by wrm
timbrens come with a spacer to add height. if you used them take the spacers out .if you did not use them check and see if you have all the factory axle spacers in place if you dont this will make the timbrens touch all the time-rough ride- most people that pull trailers will take some or all the axle spacers out to get a more level ride making the timbrens that were for a stock truck end up being to long they do make shorter ones .call them and explain they will help you . there great people to work with.
My truck is all stock, bought new so it is what it is The Timbrens were ordered for a 3500 to match my truck. Not sure why they hit all the time, called Timbrens and they said it was OK like that. Like I said, they later sent new ones that weren't as stiff but still hit all the time.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you use the rubber spacers? I did not on my install and I do not touch the axle on level ground. I do have a bit rougher ride unloaded but when I hook up it rides and drives like a Cadilac........ I did get a bit of bumpy ride with them installed loaded but after I installed Bilstein shocks that was cured.... Only way I know the trailer is back there is by stopping or starting.... I love the ride with Timbrens/Bilstiens together.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Did you use the rubber spacers? I did not on my install and I do not touch the axle on level ground. I do have a bit rougher ride unloaded but when I hook up it rides and drives like a Cadilac........ I did get a bit of bumpy ride with them installed loaded but after I installed Bilstein shocks that was cured.... Only way I know the trailer is back there is by stopping or starting.... I love the ride with Timbrens/Bilstiens together.
I didn't install the spacer. My ride loaded now is much better and very little sag, just rough unloaded but better than the first Timbrens. Maybe Bilstiens will be my next purchase!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM

mine where the same way when i installed my timberns on my 2500 i had to jack the rear of the truck up to install them and then now touch the axle all the time. i think it is because the rear springs have been deformed due to over loading them a couple times.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them on my 01' 2500, and there is a 1 inch gap when not loaded. I didn't use the spacers either.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM

What part number Timbrens is everyone else using? I have the DR2500CA-6,000lb timbrens installed on my 2500 without the spacer. Unloaded, I have approx. 1 inch clearance between the timbrens and the axle. They work great.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by surfram
What part number Timbrens is everyone else using? I have the DR2500CA-6,000lb timbrens installed on my 2500 without the spacer. Unloaded, I have approx. 1 inch clearance between the timbrens and the axle. They work great.
Mine were the DR3500CA but I think Timbrens sent me the DR2500CA after I called and complained of the very rough ride. Both hit the axle with no load.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
wrm

if the timbrens are hitting all the time thats not right changing the shocks will not help.also the colder it is the rougher the ride because the rubber gets hard .you need shorter timbrens
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by seatrout46
Mine were the DR3500CA but I think Timbrens sent me the DR2500CA after I called and complained of the very rough ride. Both hit the axle with no load.
Spacers installed?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wrm
if the timbrens are hitting all the time thats not right changing the shocks will not help.also the colder it is the rougher the ride because the rubber gets hard .you need shorter timbrens
I installed the Timbrens first. I have about 1/2in. of clearance unloaded if the truck is sitting on level ground. If not on level ground one side will be touching and the other not. After I put the Timbrens on I took it for a test pull with my trailer. On a bumpy bridge it was unstable with a little bit of dartyness. I knew what to do. The stock shocks couldn't keep up. Replaced them with Bilsteins and it rides awesome. Unbeleivable the difference. Yes it is a little more rough unloaded but I don't care at all. The truck is a hauler/puller and I am very happy with it.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by surfram
Spacers installed?
No. Like I've said, I called Timbrens and they were not concerned about them hitting full time.

Quick Reply: Timbrens