Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking of selling 97 slt & buying big rig for toter, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of selling 97 slt & buying big rig for toter, your opinion?

I recently purchased a used 38 ft 5th wheel, and at present I have a 97 Dodge 3500 SLT, completely stock, with only 128K on odometer. I was thinking of pumping up the horsepower on it. Since I will become a full time 5er, I really feel by the time I stack all treasures aboard, I will be over weight in gvcw department. So I would like to hear some opinions about my thought. I do love my Dodge truck, but think going to a heavier toter might be a better way for me.
Would like to hear from all and those that have the bigger converted toters. Like mileage and all info you may supply. Also info. on getting registration converted to RV instead of CLD.
I spent 18 years as a CDL driver, so size, no problem. The I spent the rest of working life on wrenches.
Dive in and give me your pro's & con's, would love to hear from you!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Don't know what state you are located in - within the DMV regulations should be clarity about converting to an RV. In Florida a "truck tractor" can be converted, a "heavy truck" cannot.

I have an FL70 - 8.3 CTD, 6spd. Gets around 12mpg, when towing. Obviously worse than my 05' 3500 Quad 4x4, but weighs more !
Old 04-26-2007, 01:29 PM

[B]Hi Bonshawman: I know one of the guys on this site has a 2 axle licensed as RV here in TX., and i have seen a few on the road. You probably have what I would like to have. But kind of surprised at mileage. I figured you would be able to just lope along at low RPM's. What rear end gearing do you have? I was talking to a person on a RV site, that has 3.30 gearing & claims to average 14.9, but I would like to see the ticket. With fuel prices as they are, we need to figure out how to get 50 mpg & it doesn't soud like it is getting better any time soon.
Love this site, great bunch of people, with lots of knowlage.
Happy Truck'n
Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Hi wb6epp, glad to hear you may go fulltime! Certainly you will enjoy the lifestyle, no doubt. I agree with you on the Dodge, up to most challenges, but pulling a fully loaded 38ft 5th wheel(constantly) may be a chore for it. It would be a great idea to go medium duty truck(the FL60 or 70 would be an excellent choice). Yes, you may give up a few mpg, but gain several other ways. First off, much more useable power/torque w/o working the motor so hard. And obviously the durability factor is there. The great pluses would be more comfortable passenger space w/air ride suspension and seats, you probably can't ride smoother. Larger fuel capacity, longer time between maintenance intervals, and longer lasting tires/brakes(though more expensive also), are all good. Down side is higher cost to buy(slightly anyways), a little less maneuverable when bob tailing(no trailer) and you may need to get accustomed to 'bigger truck' stance, etc. Should be able to license a single rear axle unit for under 26,000lb, or at least as a private rv depending on your state so no CDL/permits are needed. To sum up, if you can afford the cost and are prepared for the small differences, I'd go medium duty for sure! As always, just my .02 cents. Good luck!! :-)
Old 04-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Hi All: This is why I gather information. I must have chased a guy driving a Volvo condo big rig he had converted 50 miles before I could get him to stop. He had a detroit 12.7 in his, and geared high with 10 speed autoshift and claimed to get 13 to 14.8mpg because of the high gearing and loping along at 1500 rpm + or- depending on size & weight of 5th wheel between 60 to 70 mph. Yep, I fell in love! But also on this site, I have heard a couple guys say they made a mistake, so I wish to gather all I can. As a poor boy, I would buy a used one, but have experience working on the older unites w/o computers in them. Also spent 12 years running cross country (1964 to78) as a CDL driver, but have been out of them for many years.
I also have my 97 5.9 Dodge SLT 3500 duelly, which I will have to lay out the money to comfortable increase hp to pull this big thing. And what I want to keep will without a dought put me over weight, but not for sure at present time of how much.
I'll keep reading!
Happy Truck'n
Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM

I have seen a lot of the larger trucks pulling a 5th wheel that has been converted to just do RV. I have seen single axle volvos (like watkins freight lines used) also stretched out flat top 379 Pete's and a few of the newer Kw's pulling travel trailers. They have the rig all custom painted and really tricked out and have stickers all over the truck that say "RV only", "Private vehicle", and "not for hire" Of all the ones pulling them that I have talked to they are retired owner operators and since that truck is now RV they dont have to worry about dot and all that fun stuff. I am not for sure how they changed the registration with the state but I know there are tons of them out there that have done it.

Hope it helps!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Hey Road Traveler: Yes I have seen a few myself. Talked to a few, but at the time I wasn't interested. When I gather all info. and decide to go this way, I will approach TX. DMV, as I have heard of a few doing it. We are still in planning stage. Haven't put house up for sale yet, but plan to soon.
I have a commercial tool box top & bottom that I had for sale locally. Boxs alone was 7500.00, not counting about 20K plus in the tools in it. Highest bid I got locally was less than 1K. So with converted rig, the box will go on the back, as well as some other treasures. The more info I can compound is going to be worth it. Still like the *** eng.
Happy Truck'n
Old 04-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wb6epp
Hey Road Traveler: Yes I have seen a few myself. Talked to a few, but at the time I wasn't interested. When I gather all info. and decide to go this way, I will approach TX. DMV, as I have heard of a few doing it. We are still in planning stage. Haven't put house up for sale yet, but plan to soon.
I have a commercial tool box top & bottom that I had for sale locally. Boxs alone was 7500.00, not counting about 20K plus in the tools in it. Highest bid I got locally was less than 1K. So with converted rig, the box will go on the back, as well as some other treasures. The more info I can compound is going to be worth it. Still like the *** eng.
Happy Truck'n

I know what you mean about the cummins engine! The sad thing is I use to work for Caterpillar so for me nothing like havin a big ole cat under that hood!! If your not running a Cat then it must be a DAWG!! haha well at least that is what it said on our coffee cups at the office!!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what gcwr are you worried about ? the factory rating is BS.

Look at all the hotshooters running way over the factory gcwr and with cdl licenses.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 PM

I'll tell you a quick story that came out of our local paper. Such a rig was in a accident a few months ago on I-20 here in TX., now TXHP are pulling them accross the scales. The article claims they have caught a large percentage running over weight. You can bet, if they do it here, it will catch in other states as well. I would rather be overly safe, than sorry. I'll keep reading and watching.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

i would go with the bigger rig and dump the 1ton. you'll be alot comfortable pulling and it'll be a more comfortable cab.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM

I'll tell you a quick story that came out of our local paper. Such a rig was in a accident a few months ago on I-20 here in TX., now TXHP are pulling them accross the scales. The article claims they have caught a large percentage running over weight. You can bet, if they do it here, it will catch in other states as well. I would rather be overly safe, than sorry. I'll keep reading and watching.
It will only catch on if the law men enforce it. That law has been on books for a long time but they have much bigger fish to fry. I have seen a lot of DOT offices that will have small 1/2 ton trucks pulled over with there little trailer and have them pull onto the portable scales that some DOT carry in th trunk of their car.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Clutch 1; Why the bad mileage? My 97 is stock at present, and hand calculated (**** fuel guage don't work again) & empty i run 17 to 18mpg, but with this tri-axle 38 footer I get 9.4 mpg, but I do need more power, since this 5er is a 97 also and heavier than the new ones. Your Timing slip?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Hey Road Traveler: shucks you should know the fine here in Tx. ain't cheap! Revenue!! But I sure see some of the farmers hauling big equuipment on 2500 & 3500 trucks. But my neighbor got caught with over loaded trailer hauling hay. He claims it costs 1K in fines. Said it cost more than the hay did. Hasn't stopped him, he justs hauls at night now. Tried to talk his way out of it claiming the hay must have been wet.
Happy Truck'n
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Hey Road Traveler: shucks you should know the fine here in Tx. ain't cheap! Revenue!! But I sure see some of the farmers hauling big equuipment on 2500 & 3500 trucks. But my neighbor got caught with over loaded trailer hauling hay. He claims it costs 1K in fines. Said it cost more than the hay did. Hasn't stopped him, he justs hauls at night now. Tried to talk his way out of it claiming the hay must have been wet.
Happy Truck'n

Oh yeah I know what you mean!! It is all about the all might dollar in this state! Whatever it takes to make a buck!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling 97 slt & buying big rig for toter, your opinion?