Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking about a trip to Grand Canyon and Royal Gorge

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking about a trip to Grand Canyon and Royal Gorge

Hey guys, IM thinking and planning on making a trip to the Grand Canyon and maybe Royal Gorge, CO this summer....prob in June.

Do you have any recommendations on where to stay (campgrounds etc.) as I plan on towing my Toyhauler? Any suggestions on what to do while there? I hope to hit the 4 corners area and then go to Royal Gorge and maybe do some whitewater rafting with my son, before we head back toward North Texas. Any other "must dos" while on this trip? Is there any place to ride ATVs out that way that would make bringing them worthwhile? I have never been more than a few hundred miles from my house with the travel trailer..........and never been to GC or RG.

I am not concerned about the order in which we travel. But I think I better get some reservations made now to be ready for June. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will like them both pics/tv don't do justice they are a must see. do the horse back rides i dont think there is a place for atv
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant help ya with the Grand Cannion but the Royal Gorge is anouther story. My mom has lived with in 20 miles of it for the last 13 years. I have white watter rafted threw it 2 or 3 times. Its a realy neat thing to see. Plan on spending a couple days in the area if ya wana wite watter raft it as well. there is a Yogie Bear campground rite at the entrence to the Gorge that I have stayed at but its quite expensive if you dont plan to do any of the acctivitys within the campground. There are a couple others rite there as well but I cant remember teh names of them. I asume you have kids your bringing, The white watter can be chalanging so if there young you may wana look into the ore boats that you dont do any work on. The guide does all the work and you just sit there. If there old enough then get on a normal raft and do the work yourself, it realy makes it 10 times more fun. They offer 1/2 day, full day and 3 day raft trips. I always do the full day. The only difference is how far up the river to the west they take you before throwing you in. There is also a helicopter tour of th Gorge as well. You better have a strong stumic though as the pilot is a Veitnam vet and realy gives ya a ride to remember.

Most definatly bring the ATVs. Colorado is the meca of ATVing. There are some real good trails abought 20 miles west of the Gorge that will take you up into the Mtns. They start out of the town of Texas Creek. I personaly have never riden the trails but they are suposed to be decent riding. There shouldent be much snow there in June. Most of Colorado is still snowed under up high till Jully or latter but Texas Creek dont get much snow and thats where most people do there winter riding.

I dont know if ya like to gamble but there is anouther neat little mining town of Victor that is just north of there. Its up in the mtns and has been converted to a gambling town. Even if ya dont gamble(I dont) its still worth the drive up there for the scenery. If ya wana wast 1/2 a day just driving around site seeing its worth it. You need to go up whats called Shelf road into Cripple Creek and across to Victor then back down Phantom. This little round trip is scenic as all get out and will scare teh bejesis out of anyone riding with ya. Shelf has a section abought 5 miles long that you are litteraly driving on a shelf and its barely wide enough for 1 vehicle let alone meeting anyone. Its a shere cliff off the side and drops several hundred feet to teh bottome.

Anouther local thing to see is Bishops Castle. Its south abought an hour by Wetmore. That is definatly worth the drive and will burn most of a day going to see. One man has been building a casle out of rock for the last 35ish years. Its HUGE. He lets you go anywhere you want and you can climb to the top of the towers up over te trees and see forever. He is a little off his rocker but its a real neat site. On teh way back to the campground you have to take Oak Creek grade back accross the mtn to Cannion City. The veiws from up there are incredible.

One must is Sky Line Drive. Its just down the hill from the Gorge on the west side of Cannon City. tis an old prison road that they used to use to transport prisiners from the state pen in town out to the prison farm to the west of town. They built it to keep prisoners off teh main road. Now its just a awsome overlook. It will scare teh POOP out of anyone not comfertable with heights. Its EXACTLY teh width of our trucks at the top and straight down several hundred feet on both sides. Naturaly its a 0ne way road. DO NOT PULL ANY TRAILER OVER IT. You wont make it. As a matter of fact you may have to do a few manuvers to get your truck around some of the corners as it is. I hit it every time I go out. Do it both durring the day and at nite. Its Awsome to see all the lights at nite.

There is a train that runs threw teh Gorge as well. It starts in Cannon City and goes West threw the Gorge and back. I have never done this but its suposed to be a nice ride but expensive.

This is the Gorge. 1053 Feet from the bridge to the watter.

I thought I had pics of Bishops Casle and Sky line in my on line albumb but I dont. After looking I realized I dont have them on my computer either. I no longer have those pics.

Any questions, just ask. I know that area abought as well as my home area. I could keep ya busy seeing things in that area for most of a week.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM

I stayed here http://www.echobasin.com/
near the 4 corners and25-30 miles from Durango, nice park not cram packed like a lot of parks in colorado
Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks guys. Thanks also BKrukow for the pics and info. Please keep the info coming if you have any experiences with the areas mentioned.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Took a trip to that area for spring break. Didn't camp, but took lots of pics. If we have a GTG before your trip, I'll bring a CD with pictures and some travel guides. I stayed at the Buena Vista KOA back in 2006. It's a good central location to take day trips out of. Did the Royal Gorge one day, rafting another, etc...
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Look at the KOA's in both areas. I stayed at the one by the Grand Canyon, about middle of the road but clean and friendly. they usually have wifi and reasonably priced.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 PM

I used to ride my motorcycle to the Royal Gorge and ride across that rickety bridge when it was all free. Now you have to pay just to get close enough to see the bridge. The whole Arkansas river stretch, Canyon City to Salida, is beautiful. Do some searches on the Salida and Canyon City areas for CGs and things to do. I stayed at a CG right at the Grand Canyon and I think it was part of the park but I don't remember the name. The CG directories will show it. Craig
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 AM

We did 2700 miles on our motorcycles thru CO, UT,WY, etc during the first 2 weeks of July last summer. My sister/her family followed chase in my megacab to carry all the luggage. Here's my 2 cents on a few things.

1. We went to the NorthRim of the Grand Canyon instead of the SouthRim. The NorthRim is at 8000ft and was pleasantly cool. I've also heard that 80% of visitors go to the SouthRim and it is much more congested.
2. After the NorthRim it's a short drive to Zion N.P. which was unbelievable.
3. In that same area, Utah 12(the GrandStaircase) is considered a top road in the country and goes thru BriceCanyon N.P. and CapitolReef N.P. Again an unbelievable experience.
4. We did stop at the Four Corners. Not very impressive except to say you've been there. However when we left the Four Corners we took Route 41 and 262 up to US163 and drove thru Mexican Hat and Monument Valley where they used to film the westerns. Monument Valley was also unbelievable, a must see.
5. If you go west from Royal Gorge on Route 50 to Montrose you can take Route 550 south thru Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. This is called the Million Dollar Hwy and also considered a top road in the country.

If any of that helps and you want more info send me a PM.
BOB
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 AM

Thanks a bunch guys. Im going to be making notes from this thread and start planning the trip later this week and next weekend. Not sure if I should just do GC this go round and hit the RG on another trip........or other way around...........or what. It may be trying to do to much for one week.

I think im a winner either way. It sounds like they will both be fun.

I went online briefly and the "North Rim" of GC does sound pretty appealing. I have never been to either (except flying over in a jet) so im sure they will be a real treat.

Keep your thoughts and experiences and advice coming...Please.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

You're picking a good time to go. Given the economic conditions, congestion will be lower than normal and fuel is half of last year. We paid $5.05/gal for diesel at one stop in CO.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM

I live in Canon City which is at the bottom of the hill from the royal gorge.

As for atv riding here goes.

Texas Creek: When you enter the little town there will be on store juts west of hwy 69. Turn north at the store and cross the bridge and follow the road to the parking area.. You can camp and ride all you want there. About 60 total miles of riding and there are hard trails and easy trails. Most are marked well so you dont get lost. Google Texas Creek riding area.

Next is Stultz and Tanner. Take 9th street south which is also co. state hwy 115. Turn rh at the fairgrounds and take oak creek grade road to the south. Follow this about 3-4 miles. There is parking and a camp area here too all for free.

Stultz will challange an atv'er. The payoff is getting to the top and having an incredible view of the area.. You will love this ride!

Next, take Red Canyon road to the north of Canon City. Take this to the Y in the road about 10 miles up. Take the left Y and park and camp at the parking area. You can ride about 20 miles here also.

You can ride the shelf road, which is the right side of the Y of the road and ride your atv right into cripple creek for an ice scream or pop and ride back to the banks campground too.. This is about a 40 or so mile ride. Pretty smooth and very fun..

Its not legal, but the cops dont care if you ride on the streets and the shelf road, as long as you keep your headlight on and have a OHV sticker.. We do this all the time with our dirtbikes..

If you ride in Colo. You will need an off road sticker. Google Colorado OHV permits and youll find all the info.. Its like a 100 buck fine without it, so get on for each atv.. They will get ya..

Google up all these areas and youll find tons of info.. Also go to google maps and follow the streets I mentioned and youll see all the riding areas on your computer..

There will be no snow around here in June.. The canon area is high dessert so bring a bikini for the daytime and a light jacket if camping above 8000 feet for the nights..

The snow in june is at 10500 feet and this whole area only is about 9000-9500 feet..

Have Fun and spend money in my home town!

Carey
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

if you get a chance check out the coral pink sand dunes in utah. pine trees and sand dunes make a unique riding experience.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM

I will be staying @ Cheyenne Mountain State Park June 4-10th. just outside of Colo. Springs & real close to the Gorge. After all my research, it seemed to be the best, & it's brand new so it will be clean.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 PM

We stayed at the Lost Burrow camp ground near Cripple Creek CO. It was very reasonable and very secluded. Here's a link to their web site.

We did the Royal gorge train ride (found here)and had a blast.

Do drive the skyline drive as suggested, it's worth it.

We also found a back country road named Shelf Road (AKA Teller Co. 88) that meanders along the mountains. It's dirt and pretty narrow in spots, but there is some really cool scenery. (Drop your trailer off before driving this one)

Here's some pictures.

Skyline Drive.

Royal Gorge train ride.

The view from our camp site at Lost Burrow.

One of many pictures I took while driving Shelf Rd.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a trip to Grand Canyon and Royal Gorge