Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Are there any toy haulers that could fit a jeep in back??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrussell
I think we settled on the Campmasters but haven't purchased one yet. The only issues I've found with the Campmasters are axle/cargo capacities and possibly height clearance problems. My buggy is pretty low and a more lifted truck might not fit. The minimum length that would work for me is 28' (14' LQ & 13'7" garage area) but you might need the next size up. Dry weight of the 28' is about 6000-7000 lbs so dual 5k axles doesn't give enough capacity. I need to find one with dual 7k axles or a 32' with triple 5k axles. Oh, if you decide to go this route be sure to get the 8.5' wide model and not the 8' wide one.

Trust me, they don't have even one distributor out West. Warranty work can be done through your local RV dealer according to Roadmaster/Campmaster.
the part that bugs me about those campmasters is the ceiling is LOW! I am 6.2 and by the looks of the picture's the ceiling is like 6.5????
seems really low to me.

I know you said you want your jeep covered witch is a really good idea with all the thieves......but dang it doubles the price if you do get a covered one compared to if I went with Dars hybrid design.......

tough call??????????
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are ordering one I would bet you could order extra tall, I'm in the same boat, I'm 6'5"
Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Don't quote me on it, but I think the height clearance is 6'7" or 6'8". My buggy is only 6'2" at the highest point so it's a little lower than normal. There's a guy on Pirate that did a great write up and had pics of his buggy loaded up in there.

I wish the open hybrid design would work for me but I really need it covered. Just the dust cloud behind the CTD gets the buggy so dirty it's ridiculous. I want to be able to keep it out of the weather and store it in there on occasion too.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 PM

Don't quote me on it, but I think the height clearance is 6'7" or 6'8". My buggy is only 6'2" at the highest point so it's a little lower than normal. There's a guy on Pirate that did a great write up and had pics of his buggy loaded up in there.

I wish the open hybrid design would work for me but I really need it covered. Just the dust cloud behind the CTD gets the buggy so dirty it's ridiculous. I want to be able to keep it out of the weather and store it in there on occasion too.
do you have a link to that PBB thread???

that's a really good point about having it covered.......I don't know what to do???????
Old 05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

Found it. Looks like the inside height of the MURT (the 8.5' wide models) is 7'.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246788

and

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images...toyhauler.html

His reviews there are pretty much what sold me on the Campmasters. It's nice to see one used with a Jeep so you know it'll work too.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 AM

More and more of the toyhauler mfgs are making beefier setups for full size rigs... I still prefer the open deck... just don't see myself squeezing my junk inside an enclosed and then squeezing my butt out after tying it down... plus, if it's muddy... ehhh.... not fun.

Here's mine (gratuitous photo op below) :
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by thump93yj
More and more of the toyhauler mfgs are making beefier setups for full size rigs... I still prefer the open deck... just don't see myself squeezing my junk inside an enclosed and then squeezing my butt out after tying it down... plus, if it's muddy... ehhh.... not fun.

Here's mine (gratuitous photo op below) :
nice.....how long is it???
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Found it. Looks like the inside height of the MURT (the 8.5' wide models) is 7'.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246788

and

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images...toyhauler.html

His reviews there are pretty much what sold me on the Campmasters. It's nice to see one used with a Jeep so you know it'll work too.

That is a sweet trailer...it looks taller then the ones on the manufacturers site???
I love all the room it has in back....that would be a great place to put my dogs at night
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
nice.....how long is it???
32 ft

16 camper, 16 deck
Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

That is a sweet trailer...it looks taller then the ones on the manufacturers site???
I love all the room it has in back....that would be a great place to put my dogs at night
Tough choices!!! I like the camper/deck combo I can see if you blow a motor or destroy a front diff you don't have fluids all over the floor and smell!! I'd say it's a toss up? How do you get a camper with out the axles?? Or are you guys just taking them off?? Probably answered my own question there.. I do like toyhaulers!! I'd like to get a 36 footer to put the two big ones and the kids little one!!

Mark keep us updated!! You've got as many projects going as me!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns

Mark keep us updated!! You've got as many projects going as me!!
tell me about it

I am actually wondering how they get the trailer up there too????
forklift???
pull it on the flat bed trailer and then pull the axles out and drop the camp trailer down???
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM

tell me about it

I am actually wondering how they get the trailer up there too????
forklift???
pull it on the flat bed trailer and then pull the axles out and drop the camp trailer down???
That is actually a better idea than I was thinking....Also... how do they deal with the gray and black water tank? Relocate under trailer? Was that difficult?
I also would think thump93yj's rig would look sweet with a gear rack/boxes on the camper wall with work lights....

OG
Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 PM

I know a guy that puts a 4x4 Wrangler in his Weekend Warrior. I haven't seen it but he says he get's it in over the axles. He also mentioned that it's very tight but it does fit. I'm not sure which model WW he has though. Keep looking and I'm sure someone will come up with some pics and a little more info for you.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

That's all i've found so far...

Still looking
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM

I spent a lot of time looking and found a 34' Thor Vortex with a 6000# cargo capacity and room for the Scout. I test fit it at the dealer and found I need to have a set of cabinets shortened but that is all. I'm also in the process of putting the Scout on a diet, most of the sheet metal will be gone in the coming weeks. One of the selling points was the dealer is 20 minutes from my house and an open floor plan the wife liked.

Quick Reply: Are there any toy haulers that could fit a jeep in back??