Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Are there any toy haulers that could fit a jeep in back??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
A local RV dealer sells flatdeck trailers with tent trailers mounted sideways on the front of them......
Off topic, but I've got to rant.

Tent Trailers

Had 3 of them over the years, I guess it takes me that many tries to figure out I hate them .

1. The canvas goes bad.
2. They get friggin' COLD at night (even with the heater running).
3. Hard to fix lunch in 'em when you're on the road.
4. Security. Would you sleep in one at a truck stop/rest stop/Walmart?
5. They flap in the wind when you're trying to sleep.

(oh, and it looks kinda silly pulling one behind a CTD, not that I'd know)
Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 31ft triple axle I'm selling that will fit a jeep. I tried to post pics but photobucket was acting up. It's made by Extreme. PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pics.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks, I spent about $1800 in additional steel, axle, wheels, and consumables like covergas and welding wire. My budget was 10K for the entire rig...came in just over budget...taking it out this weekend for a overnight prerun...Heading to Tellico next week for the first big trip...I'll try to email some pics directly.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM

my jeep in my 26 ft weekend warrior is 4500# per axle & still has 1400# toungue wt which is well in spec. "7500 per axle x 2" max just had to modify the over head beds because jeep is too tall...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmjim
my jeep in my 26 ft weekend warrior is 4500# per axle & still has 1400# toungue wt which is well in spec. "7500 per axle x 2" max just had to modify the over head beds because jeep is too tall...
pics with the jeep inside????

please
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jwooden
Off topic, but I've got to rant.

Tent Trailers

Had 3 of them over the years, I guess it takes me that many tries to figure out I hate them .

1. The canvas goes bad.
2. They get friggin' COLD at night (even with the heater running).
3. Hard to fix lunch in 'em when you're on the road.
4. Security. Would you sleep in one at a truck stop/rest stop/Walmart?
5. They flap in the wind when you're trying to sleep.

(oh, and it looks kinda silly pulling one behind a CTD, not that I'd know)
yeah I was loaned a tent trailer once....nothing like a leaking tent trailer in a storm. The rain wicked right on to our sleeping bags....
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 AM

My buddies dad puts his Jeep in the back of his Weekend Warrior LE3305. He ordered it with the higher rear bed and has no problems. Before the LE3305 he had a FB26 and he bent the frame on the trailer because the Jeep was to much for it. Eric
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Here is a pick of the extreme. After water and propane, you can still put 4500lbs in it.

Name:  IMG_0963.jpg
Views: 8288
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 04-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
pics with the jeep inside????

please
i'll see what i got and post it
Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll have to pin someone down to get the cargo bed garage weight capacity for a Fifth Wheel Type Toy Hauler. The capacity in weight is given for the entire rig and not for the garage portion only. The 39ft SV2 Carriage is around 5510lbs. Its also around 90 grand. If you have it build and know ahead a time what you need back there, Its possible with some of the manufacturers to custom build the frame and axles for your requirement. The GVW will be up there. You'll need more than a 3500 to pull it and stay within the Gross Combined Weight you vehicle manufacturer recommends especially if you want to carry extra fuel in the truck. The toy hauler has a 40 gallon gas station build in.

Dave
Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 PM

the more I look the more I want to do one like "cruiserdar" it looks great and the price cant be beat IMHO
I don't want to spend 50K on a trailer right now and I have a shop and all the tooling to do what Dar did......BIG Thanks to Dar for emailing me his plans and pics of the project thanks
Dar I will be emailing you with more tips and questions when I do start this project..

Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 AM

I carry my Land Cruiser in the back of my Weekend Warrior SLC 3905. It rides over the top off all three axles and is well balanced. I have a double electric queen bed setup in the rear that had to be raised to accomodate the seven foot high vehicle but I have no complaints. Your tow vehicle of choice needs to be up to the task. I also have friends who tow their Jeeps in the back of 35' Warriors. I regulary tow through the Sierra Nevada Mountains and have made trips to Death Valley with this setup.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 AM

Man, I looked all over for a suitable toy hauler to move my Jeep and quads when I was not using the Jeep, and came up with a list of toy haulers that had the capacity and not the space. So I decided, if I am going to run the Jeep, I will just trailer it on my car hauler, and use the 5th wheel Raptor 3814 for the quads. I could probably fit a normal Jeep in the rear of the Raptor, but I have an unlimited and it extra length is a hindrance with choices off haulers. The Raptors are decently priced and probably do have one that would hold a Jeep length and capacity wise, but then you will have a stinky Jeep or quads in the same area as the living quarters. I compromised and got something that fits the mold for recreation with the family, since I am solo with the Jeep most of the time anyhow. Forest River does make some Work and Plays that would work, they have living quarters in the front and plenty of room in the rear for the Jeep, but the wife didn't like it and you know how that goes. Scotty
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM

I have a Tahoe Transport 33wtb fifth wheel. And I put my 1983 CJ 7 in the back of it. ANd i would have room for one more quad. Mine is a tripple axle.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM

my jeep has 114" wheelbase...it sound to long and high to fit inside a toy hauler

Quick Reply: Are there any toy haulers that could fit a jeep in back??