Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Standard or Fiver Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Standard or Fiver Hitch?

Tryin to learn here. :<br>Is there some big advantage to having a fith wheel hitch for a travel trailer? I know the larger ones come with fith wheel only, but for this discussion let's say we are talking about a 29 footer. I have seen them both ways in 27-29 foot models.<br><br>I'm just trying to understand what makes the fith wheel attractive when there is a choice.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris<br>
Old 07-17-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Standard or Fiver Hitch?

My observations. 5th wheel gives a better ride, especially on concrete highways. At times a 5th wheel seems to be more stable.<br><br>I don't like the 5th wheel in the bed of my truck, it takes up way too much room I need. Therefore, I use a pull trailer, at this time only a 19' but am getting ready to get a 31' pull trailer.<br><br>Just some thoughts...........Stan
Old 07-18-2003, 07:31 AM

I too like retaining the bed of the truck with the TT. I have a 29' TT and it pulls fine behind. There is some sway, but it its due to heavy side wind. I don't really get any from semi trucks. I slow down if I get into a decent cross wind. I did that with the old 5TH too. I wouldn't go much over 30' in a TT, maybe unless in a dually (I don't know how much it would help). Just be sure to use a weight distributing hitch and sway control on longer trailers. With either, watch where you load weight in the trailer to keep tongue weight where it should be. I like the floor plans of TT's in the 27-30' range compared to a 5TH at the same length. Move up to a 33' or bigger then 5TH's have really nice floorplans.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel the fiver is much more stable when towing. You are placing more of the weight of the trailer directly over the rear wheels of the truck which stabilizes the rear of the truck - - plus you have removed the lever action of the suspension out behind the rear wheels. Lots more storage in the fiver, too.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:38 PM

Guess I'll add $.02 worth on this one... the 5th is easier to back into a given space than a TT is since the pivot point is over the truck rear axle instead of a few feet behind it. This allows you to back into spaces easier with a 5th than a TT when all other things are equal (same length trailers). Also, as knowledgablebob said, it is more stable on the road for the reasons he pointed out. Everything I used to put in the truck bed when I had my old TT is now put in the 5th during transit, then I unhook from the trailer when I get to where I'm going.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those explanations make sense. Thanks for learnin me. ;D<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 07-18-2003, 10:10 PM

Have pulled both and love the 5'er. Just recently pulled about 300 mile on a 2 lane highway, no sway with the semis heading in the opposite direction. It was a very windy trip, all the tt guys complained about the wind, I did not even notice the wind. <br><br>You are also pulling less length. About 4 ft will sit over your truck bed, so a 28 ft trailer is only 24 ft of length behind you.<br><br>At first I was sorry I purchased a 5'er, cause I did not tow it that much (kept at property), and did not like the hitch plates in the bed of my truck. Now I am towing more, and like the ease of towing, hitching, and the stability. Hope this helps, Kevin
Old 07-18-2003, 10:22 PM

Ther reason for the 5th wheel is to tow large trailers over 10,000 lbs. Most bumper pull hitches are good for under 10,000 lbs. You need 15-20% tounge weight, a 20,000 lb trailer needs 3000-4000 pin weight, way over the rating of any bumper pull hitch.<br>Rick
Old 07-19-2003, 12:05 AM

It is rock solid with no sway control devices required.<br><br>Gooseneck is even better for towing heavy like horse trailers like mine.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:17 AM

I love the 5th wheel, although I only have a 25 ft Westwind, I find it so much better then a TT, side winds are the only bugger. Living in Alberta we get a lot of winds coming off the rockies and generally the 5'er is way more stable. I used to have a very old (70's vintage) 19 fter and it was all over the road. <br><br>The only problem I have is with the cooling system, right now I am in the middle of upgrading to a 97 thermostat housing for my Chev 6.5.<br><br>Rusty
Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Srigs link=board=11;threadid=17228;start=0#161694 date=1058591147]Gooseneck is even better for towing heavy like horse trailers like mine.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Really?? I've always thought 5th wheels were considered better. What would make a gooseneck better than a 5th wheel?? ???
Old 07-21-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just towed my 7K 25' travel trailer across WY and back a few weeks ago. Some people consider WY pretty windy. Was told once that the wind there began a week after creation and hasn't stopped yet. ;D<br><br>Oh yeah, the point. . . I didn't feel the wind at all coming through WY. I was passing semis at 75 and didn't notice a thing. With the new anti-sway hitches available, you can get a really stable tow setup with a TT.<br><br>Yeah, the 5ers are great, but when we hit the headwinds, those guys were really struggling. Some of those 5ers were 7 or 8 feet taller than the cab of the truck and create an awful lot of drag. I was passing 5ers left and right.<br><br>I also like having the bed of the truck free. I have a fiberglass tonneau that locks and a Bedrug carpet kit. It's like having a giant car trunk on my truck. I can take things with me when I leave camp and feel like they're secure when I go inside somewhere.<br><br>Point is, each have their advantages. And neither is perfect. Each fits a different need for different folks.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:45 PM

Hoss,

Gooseneck hitch is rated for 25k to 30k towing capability vs 16k for a 5er. The hitch is bolted onto the frame much stronger on the truck and under the bed. Mine is 1/2 inch plate all arround with 1/2 inch thick by 2 inch angle iron bolted together with Grade 8 1/2 bolts. A fiver connection on a trailer is much cheaper then a gooseneck because of how they need to be made and easier for people to hookup thats why semi's are made with a 5er type connection.

I have pulled both and like my gooseneck much better with much more adjustability in height of the trailer nose upto 12 inches.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...9&amp;pid=1077

Another plus is more room to stow things when hooked up and a flat load floor if you have a popup or turn over type. My 2c
Old 07-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good information. Thanks. I guess I've always thought that a fiver hitch was better for some reason...and I guess it is for some people. I've never towed anything with either gooseneck or fiver, but I can't imagine there'd be much difference as far as how it handles. I could see where a fiver might be a little more stable...but then again, maybe not.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:47 AM

Srigs,<br>I noticed you have a 4x4. Did you have to do anything to the axles of your gn trailer because the bed/hitch sits up so high? Or is this where the adjustability in the height of the nose that you mentioned comes into play?<br><br>Thanks

Quick Reply: Standard or Fiver Hitch?