Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Spring -vrs- Torsion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring -vrs- Torsion

This should start a little war, but.....Trying to decide between a spring or torsion axle when I get my 36' gooseneck down the road. I have heard that torsion axles are no good for off-road because they don't transfer weight from one tire to the next. This is for hauling off-road trucks so it will of course be going off road, down through the ocasional ditch or what ever. The torsions seem to have a lower deck height, but I would hate to be replacing axles all the time.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:58 PM

Re:Spring -vrs- Torsion

I have been using rubber-torsion axles on my goosenecks for many a year. Whatever "off-roading" you can do with a 36' gooseneck strapped on, they will take. Trust me... And yes, the extra money is well worth the unloaded ride improvement and lower deck height.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:00 PM

I have owned both. (boat trailers and car haulers) I will never own another spring axle again.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:53 PM

Diito, on never own another spring again. I have torsion axles on all 3 of my trailers, they're great. No noise when hittin' bumps, no parts to go bad, and the ride is great.<br><br>Later, Rob
Old 11-05-2002, 08:37 AM

Living Quarter horse trailer w/ torsion axles and works great, smoother ride for the critters in the back ;D. Have an 18 foot stock trailer w/ springs and rides rough, need to take it easy on bumpy roads &gt;(I guesss that would be all roads) Both serve a purpose and have good applications. My preference would be torsions for a better ride.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really like my torsion axles. Also like the short travel. Blow a tire and just take it off to get to a place to fix it. For my thoughts, three 10,000 pound torsen axles are better than two 12 or 14,000 pound axles, more brakes, better ride. I cut ditches all the time, if one of the axles are on high ground the trailer will follow without dipping.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:38 PM

I have a tandem axle flatbed (used mosty as a car hauler). It has a 16'x7' bed, leaf springs and electric brakes on the rear axle. While backing over uneven ground, I have lifted the front tires clear off the ground (light load). Based on this I would say that leafs are not great on load transfer either. Best setup for offroad is a walking beam with a single set of leaf springs, but it has a tall ride height, and I have only seen them on heavy trucks. With a 36' gooseneck, needing to go offroad, I would get whatever is going to get the most ground clearance. Ride quality is a major factor for livestock, but I don't think your 4x4 will mind too much if the ride is a little rough.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:17 PM

Torsion is the only way to go. Your horses will thank you and never not get into the trailer. I would not buy a leaf spring trailer ever.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:40 PM

I have to disagree. If you were hauling horses I'd suggest torsion axles, but since you hauling off road equipment Id suggest spring axles. The torsion axles will have less travel and will be less forgiving than the spring axles. I'm afraid a torsion axle on real uneven ground would put alot of weight on one tire. Giving a great potential for problems. ??? Not trying to be hard to get along with just being honest.