Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

In bed tank 12v shut-off valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In bed tank 12v shut-off valve

I put in a Murphy SV-12 electric shutoff valve between my "in bed" fuel tank and my factory tank the other day. It is a normally closed valve, I wired it into my Painless fuse box so it opens when the ignition is on, I also threw a toggle switch in there. It wont stop the fuel flow tho. A couple questions I have......... can you mount these valves with the magnet down??? The place I bought the valve says I have to run this valve with a relay???? He says it will burn it out the way I have it wired. Im no wiring expert but that sounds crazy to me, I have read the instructions and looked on the net and cant find anything that says that. All I have is 12v running to it.

I cant imagine that the 1 pound of hydrostatic pressure would be enough to not let the valve close.

I have doubled checked the wiring and flow indicator on the valve, it all checks out and I can here the valve actuate when I throw the toggle switch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Fuel S/O vlvs are mostly motor driven for reliability and no amount of pressure will force it open, not solenoid driven. Solenoid types are for fast actuation usually to close off the supply in a hurry until the motor s/o vlv can close then power is removed from the solenoid. If you power the vlv all the time the truck is powered then it will burn out the solenoid. The only reason I can see for using a relay would be if the solenoid draws a fair amount of amps, and it might. As for mounting upside down should it leak internally then fuel would run down into the power end of the vlv (not good) instead of out the weep hole that most are designed with.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM

I run a valve in my trucks,,, not sure the brand, but its a normally closed one and rather than run power to it all the time, I have the switch in the cab to shut it on and off. The one I got was a design for a dual fuel tanks,, and was told it dont hurt it to run it on the on postion for long periods,, and it has no relay on my, just wired directly, I do have it on the ignition side for the power, so incase I forget to shut it off at night it wont overfill my tank, as mine will do that and then end up on the ground and I hate wasting fuel at these prices .
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Well the paper work I have for this valve shows it as a fuel shut off near the injection pump, sounds like I have the wrong valve for the wrong job. Thought it wouldnt matter, but apparantly so. Thing new valve hunting we go, that would be easier than wiring relays and such.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by menzy
Thing new valve hunting we go, that would be easier than wiring relays and such.
I used a valve from a truck with 2 tanks from the factory. I believe it was a Chevy transfer valve, it is just supposed to switch from one tank to the other so there's always fuel comiing out the 3rd outlet on the valve body. Got it at Napa if I recall correctly and it's been working fine for 8 years now.

chaikwa.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Do it the easy way - - put in a manual shut off beside the tank in the bed. No problems, no wires, no breaking. Much better than my electric valves were.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I used a valve from a truck with 2 tanks from the factory. I believe it was a Chevy transfer valve, it is just supposed to switch from one tank to the other so there's always fuel comiing out the 3rd outlet on the valve body. Got it at Napa if I recall correctly and it's been working fine for 8 years now.

chaikwa.
That is exactly the valve i bought yesterday and installed, I plugged the one outlet, so that when there is no power to it, there is no flow, and when i throw the switch it opens to the other port and flows.

Fiver:

I also have a manual ball valve on the tank, but I have a cover on the box which i like keeping closed, also my legs are to short to reach over the side of the box and turn it on and off, what can I say............ Im too lazy to hop in and out of the back all the time......
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by menzy
Fiver: I also have a manual ball valve on the tank, but I have a cover on the box which i like keeping closed, also my legs are to short to reach over the side of the box and turn it on and off, what can I say............ Im too lazy to hop in and out of the back all the time......

Sorry about that. I forget - - I am 6'4" plus I have a full length board - - easy to do. Sure bash my head a lot though.

SoreHeadBob