Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Slide in Camper vs TT, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL the only combination I haven't as of yet tried so I'm in the middle of my fifth wheel camper conversion just for this reason. Love the slip in camper and hauling at the same time is required sometimes so... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-t310526.html
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No big trailers. Got boat trailer, sled trailer and a 16' util trailer. Got enough extra tires and bearings to keep in tact already haha.
GN with a camper on it is a cool idea but I'm looking smaller rather than larger. Only replacing the tent with some sort of camper cuz the wife ain't sleeping in the woods with grizzlies in a tent!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Well this is the new camper. Pretty heavy but real nice for a 05 and not terribly spendy.
Attached Thumbnails Slide in Camper vs TT, opinions?-image.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice!! Congrats!

Those Arctic Fox campers are just wonderful. I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. can you post some pics of the inside? I realy like the idea of a slide in but i dont think the wife would go for it now after having our 30' toy hauler.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM

I gotta go with something bigger than the slide in for a couple of reasons ....

- With a toy hauler, you've a fair amount of room.
A buddy of mine, who is an older gentleman, decided he wanted a small camper and since he had (at the time) a Ford Ranger he picked up one of those small Coleman bumper pull RV's. It really was the perfect setup ..... until he had 3 days of bad weather on a camping trip in a remote location and no hookups. Him, his wife, their grandson, and the family dog all had cabin fever before the storm passed and he swore never again to be out with a small RV.

- The toy hauler is easy to load/unload.
Drop the gate, load it up, put the toys in, and you're done.

- Makes for a good base camp.
Use the toys for day tripping into the deeper parts of "no man's land" whether it's four wheelers or sleds. You can always unhook from the trailer and go pick up a broke down sled or four wheeler, or at least get closer to it.

- You won't need a dualie.
I know a lot of folks that use slide-in's on trucks that aren't dualies but the added stability is a huge plus on some of the back country roads and trails. Of course, not having to buy 2 additional tires is also another good reason.

- Extra fuel for the toys.
My toy hauler actually has a 40 gallon tank on it with a service station style hose so I can fill up four wheelers and sleds, and if I don't have to worry about jerry cans or filling up from them that's a plus in my book.

-Kris
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Nice. can you post some pics of the inside? I realy like the idea of a slide in but i dont think the wife would go for it now after having our 30' toy hauler.
I'm 2000 mi away from it right now but just google Arctic Fox 860 and there's tons of pics.
It doesn't have near the room of any TT that's for sure. But coming from tent campin it's pretty luxurious.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM

HMX I agree with all that and a toy hauler would fit the bill pretty nicely.
I'd also rather pull a trailer for the most part than haul the camper but a few things limited the decision.
First space at our temp place in AK is at a premium. Couldn't even back a TH up the driveway. Winter driving up here. I'd rather have a lot of weight on the tr k and a light trailer than the opposite. And when we get back to WA I'll be able to use it pulling the boat as well.
Although the prices they go for up here I ll probably sell it before we head back.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I have had both and for room sure the TT has more, but for taking along the sleds/boat no question.

Name:  P9010730-2.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  1.47 MB
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM

I went with the slide in, mostly due to the quality of the roads getting to my hunting camps. I can get places with this I can't with a 5'r, or gooseneck. And I can turn it around , &/or back out if needed.
Its a '07 Okanagan 90W. Sometimes I want more room, but for just myself for hunting it's about perfect.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is just before I left for 4 days of hunting turkey. I heard some this time! Getting better...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Grit Dog
All good points for sure.
Think I'm still leaning towards the slide in camper for a few reasons.

Been campin with friends with slide ins and they can get it off their truck and setup as base camp pretty quick. Quicker than I can set up a tent and roll out the sleeping bags.
Not doin the cross country rv tour with it. More like remote weekend camping in AK. Guessing some/a lot of the roads will tear up a TT pretty quick or just be plain inaccessible.
No chance of winter use with a TT because I need to haul more than 2 sleds and a heavy TT is harder to pull when the snow is good.
We are not rv ers will still be having campfires kids ain't gonna be sittin inside playin video games.

My only thing is for the same $ you can get more TT than truck camper. But I guess that will translate to resale as well.
in california you cannot remove the slide in camper from the vehicle in any camp ground or rv park, i worked temporary jobs all over ca. after that experiance, i sold it and bought a fiver...a little more cumbersome but i was able to use my pickup
Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
in california you cannot remove the slide in camper from the vehicle in any camp ground or rv park, i worked temporary jobs all over ca. after that experiance, i sold it and bought a fiver...a little more cumbersome but i was able to use my pickup
Huh??? That's just messed up. Kalifornia indeed.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM

Yeah retarded indeed! Oh well. I'm pretty sure there aren't any camper cops in AK.
To both guys above, nice set ups! Especially that 1st gen Dually.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I have had both and for room sure the TT has more, but for taking along the sleds/boat no question.

Dually's and slide-ins rule. Can you say stability? Nice setup. I don't see a Pacbrake in your signature. Sure makes it so much safer to stop.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM

That is indeed a nice first gen. But I see there are no dually spacers on the front. Is that a conversion?

Quick Reply: Slide in Camper vs TT, opinions?