Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Sleeper Berth In Ram??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleeper Berth In Ram??????????

I kinda understand the rules for the sleeper berth but have not got a tape measure out yet. I figure this has been asked multiple amount of times so im gonna ask too since i cant find any anwsers and i know this would be awnsered quick by pro hot shotters.

Can I make a approved sleeper berth in my back seat if I took out the back seats and constructed something up with plywood, brackets, and of course a custom size mattress and linens and pillow?????????
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Wooooww, 32 views and no results!!! At least they are honest and not BS'ing me. Thanks.

NOW, cmon peeps, somebody has have to thought of this idea before. I dont see it on internet anywhere so my guess is it cant be done. Tomorrow i will go measure. But there is still so many more rules to follow on sleeper berths that is DOT approved.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Chapter President

I did a search on DTR for you... Hope it helps.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=159914
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 PM

I know the rules for big trucks(18 wheels),not shure if it's the same.

Best thing maybe is to go to your states main DOT office or email them,I say maybe becuse belive it or not when it comes to commercial driving it seems every state makes up there own stuff,no joke on this,one of the reasons I retired and sold all my trucks.

I once got a ticket for excessive lighting in VA,no one knew what that was exept the junor judge and the DOT cop,no laws on it in the Fed guide lines,still have not paid it ,every letter I get about a warrent being out for me in VA I tell them to come and get me,and bring more then 2,I hate VA DOT,I live in PA.

So pretty much rest assaured that somewere what ever you do will not be legale there.

Pav
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ccoop769
Wooooww, 32 views and no results!!! At least they are honest and not BS'ing me. Thanks.

NOW, cmon peeps, somebody has have to thought of this idea before. I dont see it on internet anywhere so my guess is it cant be done. Tomorrow i will go measure. But there is still so many more rules to follow on sleeper berths that is DOT approved.
Nah, it won't qualify...and BTW, the individual states don't determine sleeper berth size, the Fed's do. I don't have the Federal DOT link on-hand(it is in the thread linked above courtesy RickG), but basically to qualify as a 'sleeper berth', it must measure 24" wide by 75" long, plus have at least 24" vertical unobstructed. The interior of the Ram's with back seat and all out is something like 73" if I recall my 97, and it falls just short of 24" wide, plus you cannot get 24" unobstructed vertical(minus a 12" radius at the top) no matter how you look at it. If you are serious about needing a regulation sleeper berth for logging work hours, you'd need to stretch the frame and install a separate sleeper behind your cab(as been done many times before) or possibly use a slide-in camper shell that has a large enough bunk area(if not needing the open bed). what, may I ask, are you planning all this for? Just curious! :-) Good luck, hope that helps you some, seeya!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big truck, small truck, does not matter, it is federal laws. 75 inches long, two feet by two feet (wide and high), direct access to the cab. Get the green FMCSA manual from any truck stop, it has it all.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM

YES there is a way to make a sleeper in a ram truck and when you are all done....IT IS FEDERAL LEGAL FOR DOT!!!! YES that right i have all the info on how to do this with out hurting th truck at all.
For those who really want to know pm me for the info.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gofastman
YES there is a way to make a sleeper in a ram truck and when you are all done....IT IS FEDERAL LEGAL FOR DOT!!!! YES that right i have all the info on how to do this with out hurting th truck at all.
For those who really want to know pm me for the info.
Well first, it would be interesting to see how you are going to obtain a 75"x24"x24" usable space where it does not exist, but more importantly to those following this thread, why the need for secret PM's? Why not share the info with everyone? It's not a matter of National Security...or IS IT?? Just messin' with ya...but please do let us know how this can be legally accomplished, ok? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 AM

Well you could remove the passenger seat and make a plywood bed, guess you would have to remove the rear seat also, you would be close.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 AM

No this is no secret, i have this set up so i get a message on my phone about replys, i cant alway access the internet to reply but i can do pms sorry,
I will try to answer all questions now.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Banned

I will call this guys about making a sleeper berth that is DOT approved. I will reply later today with results and measurements of a stock quad cab
Old 08-31-2007, 07:34 AM

Lower both rear windows, insert a plastic bubble that fit quite nicly through the rear window holes, now from side to side on centerline you now have 77.5 inches, Now you remove the rear seat, build a bed frame to spec, place a cutom made mattress on the frame, and shazam!!!! one legal dot sleep that will measure 77.5 x 28x 24.5. It is heated, it is vented, it has 2 emergency exits ( most truck only have one) Meets all the requiresments per dot.
Call Larry, 405-863-2002 he has all the stuff for this great idea, Please tell him i sent you i would really appreciate it, My name is Allen
Thanks to all
Have a nice day
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ccoop769
I will call this guys about making a sleeper berth that is DOT approved. I will reply later today with results and measurements of a stock quad cab
Ive done it to my own and it turned out great, have never sleep better infact.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gofastman
Ive done it to my own and it turned out great, have never sleep better infact.
Any pics??? I will call this guy today or monday!! Thanks

Also, any more comments on this procedure guys?????????
Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 AM

I can send pics but it will be later today before i can.

Quick Reply: Sleeper Berth In Ram??????????