Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

rv cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rv cover

Hey guys & Gals what type/brand rv cover do you use to cover your RV ?
I want to shade my toyhauler from the sun mostly. Thanks for your thoughts !
gordy
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Others may chime in but I have never covered my two 5ers. They sit out all year. Either in a storage lot or we are camping in the 5er at a campground. I will wash and wax the unit twice a year once in the spring and once in the fall. This is the only protection that I have done to them.
The trailers are built to with stand the elements and I have had friends that have had there units ruin by covers. The wind will whip the covers against the camper body and this will wear away the fiberglass on the camper.
My other thought is what about full timers that live in their 5er year round. Do they cover them?
I have also read that they are not compatible with a rubber roof. Do not know if that is true or not just something I read on another forum?

The only item that I cover are the rubber tires to protect them from the sun light.
Jim
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Your two basic materials are Tyvec which is good for about two or three years pending how many months it spends in the sun. The other is nylon which lasts longer and costs more. I cover mine anytime it is going to sit for more than 2 or 3 months. No sense leaving it in the sun to rot the roof and deteriorate the plastics if I don't have to. Buy one new roof and you will cover it. Let your pocket book decide how much you feel you can afford and how long you think you will keep the RV.

Bob
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 AM

The covers with the soft inside lining will not damage your 'glass or rubber roof - I kept one on a 35 foot MH for years, and besides keeping the seals from drying out and needing R&R every year (most RV mfr's state that seal inspect/remove/replace is an annual thing), it also kept the rig cleaner and kept the rubber roof from being impregnated with soot as quickly.
I own an RV Storage yard, and I have yet to see a cover damage a rig. And, and added benefit of a cover in storage is that they tend to point thieves towards those that don't have a cover - they can't see what's underneath them to see if it looks worth breaking into, and the added time to peak underneath isn't usually worth it to them.
What I do see a lot of is people not securing the covers, which means they rip/tear sooner, which when you consider what you pay for them, isn't the smartest...

After posting, I saw where you're at Navy guy - definitely get a cover as that AZ sun will bake the 'glass sooner without one. And if you have real wood cabinets (versus vinyl covered ones), be sure to store it with a bucket of water inside, or the heat will dry out the wood and cause glued seams (and just plain wood) to separate.

Last edited by ramtradxb; 06-10-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: (added note about AZ heat)
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It is super-windy where I live, and I've seen covers chaffe the finish a bit. On the other hand, even though I wash and wax mine and use the roof stuff, porch lights and other plastic stuff tends to yellow.

As bad as the sun blasts stuff in AZ, I think in your case a cover would be a good idea. Is it stored on your lot? If so, you might consider one of those metal canopies.

I'd love to put one in, but it would require moving or burrying the power line to my house.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Windy

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
It is super-windy where I live, and I've seen covers chaffe the finish a bit. On the other hand, even though I wash and wax mine and use the roof stuff, porch lights and other plastic stuff tends to yellow.

As bad as the sun blasts stuff in AZ, I think in your case a cover would be a good idea. Is it stored on your lot? If so, you might consider one of those metal canopies.

I'd love to put one in, but it would require moving or burrying the power line to my house.
Jeff: I'm in Vail just south of Tucson and windy seems to be an understatement. I have to store it at a storage lot. I just bought new plastic covers for the water & power inlets etc. Thats not that big of a deal, what worries me is the roof and the baking of the whole trailer in this AZ sun.
There seem to be be more pro cover than anti cover. Picking the best cover for the money, one that won't cause any mild dew problems and is soft on the roof etc is tuff choice. Every cover mfg. says their's is the best. Cover's and tires are starting to become overwhelming for this new to rv-ing guy. My old cargo trailors with all metal roof was a no brainer.
WHATS the ROOF stuff you mentioned in your post ?
thanks for the input
gordy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What year is your RV?

Most will have Dicor brand EDPM, a rubber like membrane that resists UV (to a point).

You have to be careful about what you use on EDPM, as anything with a petrolium based chemical in it can ruin it.

Dicor makes a cleaner for EDPM roofs, and a treatment that helps protect it. Other brands also make EDPM roof cleaners and UV treatment. Camco Full Timer's Choice makes an all in one cleaner/UV treatment.

I've used both, and find the Dicor cleaner/treatment two step stuff seems to last longer (I do it a couple of times a year). It comes in pump bottles, and I generally use a mop for cleaning and to spread the treatment stuff around and work it in.

Treating the roof seems to prevent chalky residue, and black streaks at the gutters.

Be careful though to not let the run off dry on the siding, and do it while unhooked from the tow vehicle.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM

roof

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
What year is your RV?

Most will have Dicor brand EDPM, a rubber like membrane that resists UV (to a point).

You have to be careful about what you use on EDPM, as anything with a petrolium based chemical in it can ruin it.

Dicor makes a cleaner for EDPM roofs, and a treatment that helps protect it. Other brands also make EDPM roof cleaners and UV treatment. Camco Full Timer's Choice makes an all in one cleaner/UV treatment.

I've used both, and find the Dicor cleaner/treatment two step stuff seems to last longer (I do it a couple of times a year). It comes in pump bottles, and I generally use a mop for cleaning and to spread the treatment stuff around and work it in.

Treating the roof seems to prevent chalky residue, and black streaks at the gutters.

Be careful though to not let the run off dry on the siding, and do it while unhooked from the tow vehicle.
My 5er is a 2001 keystone tailgator 34' , the roof has some stain looking spots maybe from trees on it. it started it's life in the north east and I just bought it and moved it south 2 months ago so I'm hoping the weather up there was good to the roof.
gordy