Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Ruined both rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruined both rear tires

Hauled 2 pallets of wet sod and a kubota tractor with a loader on it, and my Kumho Road ventures gave up. Too much tongue weight I guess. Had a sidewall goiter the size of a cantalope on the inside left rear, and 3 walnut sized knots on the right. Replaced them with goodyear workhorses, as that was all I could find. Guess I'll just have to convert to duals after all. Been needing a good excuse anyway. Now I just have to come up with 5K for the conversion kit and the flatbed. Anyone want to sponsor me?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 AM

Sure, why not. I didn't want that money anyway.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Give us the specs on the wasted tires...

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM

http://www.ricksontruck.com/

Getcha some of these with G Rated tires......maybe that would help ya instead of going dually.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:43 PM

The tires that failed are Kumho Road Ventures, 235/85/16's on my stock wheels, I think they're 6" or 6.5" wide. E Rated, 5 tread plies, 2 sidewall plies, max load 3042 lbs at 80 PSI.

The two replacements are goodyear all season workhorses, same size and ratings, have 4 tread plies and 2 sidewall plies. We'll see how they do.

I wouldn't mind switching up to the 19.5" wheels, but I really want a flatbed, and I think you need duals to make it look cool. It would look like the home depot rent a truck otherwise.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shouldnt cost that much the front axle on the 4x4 dually's has an adapter thats factory couldnt cost that much and i think the rear axle on the 2500 is the same as the 3500 or you should be able to find a 1 ton axle and make the swap. dodge parts people should be able to show you the adapter if not i bet my parts person can get me the part number and i can get it to you
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Duallys are good
Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

A guy had a SRW 250 Dodge/Cummins in the shop with single wheels.

He also had four dual wheels, coined in-coined out.

I never would have thought it would work; but, we removed a rear wheel and slid the inside dual tire/wheel combo on the hub.

Much to our surprise, it fit fine, the tire had clearance between it and the spring, so far, so good.

We slipped the outside wheel on and run up the nuts.

There was one thread showing, once the nuts were torqued.

I have tried this in the past, on other makes of SRW trucks, to no avail; this is the first SRW truck that I have seen this actually work.

If nothing else, the inside tire usually bottoms on the spring, inches before the wheel bottoms on the hub.

Borrow a dual wheel/tire and experiment; who knows, you may get lucky.

If not, the best option is to use the front ton 4x4 adapters as someone already suggested.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 AM

You might also try talking to member Budsowner. His truck is a 3rd gen but it started life as a 2500 and he converted it to a flatbed dually. Hope that helps.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=30905
Old 09-09-2006, 07:11 AM

Identity crisis??
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Yeah, that truck is awesome. That's what made me realize I could convert mine. Would really make my truck a lot more suited to my work. I figured I'd get the conversion kit with the spacers from arrowcraft and just do the wheels. Then I'd put a flat bed on there. I like the ones from T&G mfg. I'm gonna cool it on the power mods, she's got plenty of power for what I'm doing now.

Now I'm worrying about my tires all the time. I hauled a bunch of wet topsoil on the trailer today, about 6 bobcat buckets full, and the kubota tractor. I made sure everything was aired up right, and put the dirt as close to the trailer axles as I could. Thinking about some good air bags too.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 AM

Old 09-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timberman
Yeah, that truck is awesome. That's what made me realize I could convert mine. Would really make my truck a lot more suited to my work. I figured I'd get the conversion kit with the spacers from arrowcraft and just do the wheels. Then I'd put a flat bed on there. I like the ones from T&G mfg. I'm gonna cool it on the power mods, she's got plenty of power for what I'm doing now.

Now I'm worrying about my tires all the time. I hauled a bunch of wet topsoil on the trailer today, about 6 bobcat buckets full, and the kubota tractor. I made sure everything was aired up right, and put the dirt as close to the trailer axles as I could. Thinking about some good air bags too.
Timberman - I don't see why you don't just sell your current 3/4 ton truck and buy the equivalent 1 ton (all 2nd gen 1 tons are DRW as you probably know). By "equivalent" I mean, a '99 or abouts, around the same mileage, etc. You'd probably come out even, or at least doing so should cost you less than $5k. Then, you'd actually have the LEGAL capacity of a 1 ton. Not just a 3/4 ton wanna-be.

Paragraph deleted by admin
- JyRO

Last edited by Totallyrad; 03-26-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 AM

Oh, I couldn't just sell my truck. That would be like selling my dog. I'm not too worried about the legal weight capacities, I don't run it that heavy very often, but I tow a lot and duals would help there. Besides, I know my truck's history, and I've already spent the $$$$$$$$ to do the tranny, exhaust, intake, gauges, sticks, etc. I'll just have to rename it the big blue edited by admin

Besides, the probablility of another one ton truck that already has duals and a flat bed is that it would have been worked hard, probably by an employee who didn't care if they shut it down hot or whatever. I might be able to put it together for less than 5K, but not much.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 03-26-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Off color
Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 AM

Buds truck looks great.

The adapters are really pretty reasonable. I think $400 for both. After that you will have to find some wheels. I am not sure I would buy the Accuride wheels (from ArrowCraft) again. They say max load 2200 lbs and max pressure 65 psi (wth?). They are also pretty ugly.

PS If the car hauler thing doesn't work out at this point I am thinking a T&G or CM flatbed.

I don't think I ever caught if Bud you installed the bed yourself or had them put it on?

Quick Reply: Ruined both rear tires