Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Quads Xzillaraider XZT for TOWING & ECONOMY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not seen anyone comment on warranty issues. My understanding is the new trucks with all the electronics can story data in the ecm if any fueling changes have been made.

With that being said think very carefully before adding any modification to your trucks. Whenever you take your truck in to have work done to it you will be fitting the bill and when things as simple as a sensor could cost upwards of $1000.00 including diagnostics time it might make you wish you had never used any upgrades. I have heard of horror stories from people having to dish out mega bucks because some one used something as simple as any after market air filter. Yah I have heard of SEMA, try to get them to pay your defense lawyer fees. Some dealerships use to be good about honoring warranty issues even if you used an aftermarket upgrade. With this electronic stuff storing memory it makes it more difficult for dealerships to honor warranty issues. Like I was told at one point; Do you think we are going to jeopordize our multi million dollar dealership on a warranty claim.

Just thought for thought.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluebull most of us accept that when we modify our vehicles we don't expect any warranty coverage if the aftermarket part caused the damage.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 AM

Warranty Schmarranty!!! I want to go fast!!!!!!
One more thing, It seems the harder I work the truck in the 140hp mode the more the overhead says I'm getting for mileage. I started out yesterday morning at 23mpg (I wish! ) and after I got done hauling a half load of bricks and dirt to the dump it said I was getting almost 27mpg (I double wish!)
Old 04-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

I would hope so but I just want people to do a reality check before they take the plunge.

The problem is people expect a warranty coverage because they beleave the aftermarket part didn't cause the damage. Reality is the dealership can and will void your warranty for trivial things.

If your willing to give up your warranty for part of the truck you better be willing to give up your warranty for the whole truck. Like I said before, try and get SEMA to pay for your lawyer fees because you added an aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket air filter and your dealership voided your warranty on the engine, transmission, tranfer case, drive shafts, front and rear axles. They can and will because they are all power drive train related.

If you have the money and don't care, enjoy.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Also when a warranty claim is sent to DC it is on record for the life of your truck, even after warranty is off. Dealerships can take advantage of that when it's time to trade your truck in, they will try and tell you your truck is worth less because most people looking for used vehicles are skeptical of a vehicle that has been tampered with.

I have owned a modified truck in the past and know that it was probabley in better shape than one that was not. On the other hand if I was looking at a used truck and it had aftermarket performance parts on it or even evidence that at one time it did I sure as hell wouldn't even concider buying it due to the fact I don't know how it was driven or serviced or handled in the past. How will it stand up in the future, not a gamble I would take.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Bluebull

First, the dealership cannot void your warranty it MUST be done by DC at the insistance of the dealership. That can be protested to the zone and then to DC arbitration. 2nd warranty is not for stupidity by the owner or even by the dealer it is for manufacturing defects (people make and people make mistakes)Most dealers bend over backwards to help the customer but that should not mean they have to replace a ring and pinion because it was never serviced or was run while low on gear lube (a tsb)There is no such thing as a free lunch or free waranty as all the manufacturers build it back in to the cost of the vehicle. Most people are very honest and tell the dealer if they screw up and most dealers tell there cusomer if DC screws up I think its called trust .I bought this truck used even thought I can buy greenslip, and even payed extra for the warranty but if the box causes the damage I would be honest enough not to ask, but I do almost all my own wrenching anyway.

Fred
2004.5 3500qcsrw lb 65hpquadbox phantom guages pillar mount bad Edit truck
Old 04-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

bigsnakebud,

Not sure what you are saying with your post. I agree warranty is not for stupidity but if some one is not warned about what could be stupid things, how do they know. When you were young and mom and dad told you not to stick your finger on a burning match did you listen or try it and find out for yourself. All I am doing is telling some thing, if anyone wants to listen or find out for themselves that's their decision, at least they were warned.

Secondly, sometimes things are out of the dealers hands, DC sometimes asks for the parts, expecially in the last four years since electronic control parts have come out. Have you heard of DC asking for the injector pumps back on the second generation trucks, it's for checking to see if a fueling box was added.

All I know is I have been there done that. Arbitration and all. If your dealer tells DC that you have added a performance box I can guarantee you DC will void your warranty and then you can fight with DC who is right.

I came on here to warn anyone who reads this thread about the other side of the story. What ever they choose to do is their decision not mine. I am just passing on my past six years experience with DC and these websites. Not here to argue who can and can not do what they want, that's each and everyones own decision.

Would you rather I stayed quiet about what could happen with their warranty, what would be anyones gain if I did?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:49 AM

We just returned from our trip yesterday pulling the 5th wheel with the XZT box. Our mileage for the trip averged about 10 mpg and that was running about 68 mph in overdrive. (we hit a lot of head wind on this trip) I am happy with that considering the truck only has 1900 miles on it right now. I never noticed any smoke with or without the trailer hooked up. We have another trip coming up the first week of June that will be about 2000 miles so I will be keeping track of mileage to see if it gets any better once the truck has more miles on it. So far I am happy with the XZT box.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 AM

Hunter11, do you have gauges? If so what where the EGT's' showing? I just installed an XZT Last week, but will not tow untill this friday. Seat of the pants is wow. From a stop with no turbo windup, from complete idle, it will now go about 10 feet and then light up the tires. Didn't light them up stock unless I powerbraked to get the turbo up. Weird sensation for that 10 feet!
I know we can't' trust the overhead, and I don't have enough miles to hand check yet, but on freeway I was getting about 19, the overhead is showing 22-23 now. We'll see when I fuel up next.
Brian

Originally posted by Hunter11
We just returned from our trip yesterday pulling the 5th wheel with the XZT box. Our mileage for the trip averged about 10 mpg and that was running about 68 mph in overdrive. (we hit a lot of head wind on this trip) I am happy with that considering the truck only has 1900 miles on it right now. I never noticed any smoke with or without the trailer hooked up. We have another trip coming up the first week of June that will be about 2000 miles so I will be keeping track of mileage to see if it gets any better once the truck has more miles on it. So far I am happy with the XZT box.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:52 AM

Brain, the highest EGT I saw was 1200* and that was on a big hill and it kicked down out of overdrive. I was seeing that high on my 2001 so I am pretty happy. I have only run one tank of fuel through the truck without the trailer hooked up and that was 17 mpg mostly highway miles hand calculated. I feel like that is pretty good for only having 1900 miles on the truck. After this past trip pulling the trailer it should help the break in process a lot.