Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Ontario Speed limiters

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ontario Speed limiters

Has anyone heard about this? I've 'searched' but not found anything here.
I understand that there is still some legal battles being fought.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...cklimits.shtml
Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM

It's in effect with an "educational" period until June before they start fining trucks . Trucks under 26,000 lbs. are exempt . There was supposed to be a huge truck convoy protest March 3 and not even a dozen trucks showed up .
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Only in Canada ay!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, what a joke, sometimes this place makes my head hurt...
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM

insterting a brain or makiing it a requirement to use their brain, in the other half of the drivers here, would have been better then limiting lg truck speeds. I wonder how many people put their shoes on the wrong feet: left or right, it does not matter what lane you drive in.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine this would ever happen here in the US. Not because we're all about freedom and individual responsibility - that ended a few decades ago.

The real reason would be loss of revenue. If the speed of all trucks were electronically limited, nobody would ever get a speeding ticket. States and municipalities would lose millions in revenue. And we all know that's what speeding tickets are all about - revenue. A tax on the unwary.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
I can't imagine this would ever happen here in the US. Not because we're all about freedom and individual responsibility - that ended a few decades ago.

The real reason would be loss of revenue. If the speed of all trucks were electronically limited, nobody would ever get a speeding ticket. States and municipalities would lose millions in revenue. And we all know that's what speeding tickets are all about - revenue. A tax on the unwary.
Don't a lot of states have semi speeds, and then passenger vehicle speeds already?

If they are going to limit speeds on trucks, they should use a governor on them, not a tattle box that gets downloaded. At that point, its just the government coming to collect their monthly dues for people speeding. I know thats the overall goal, but if they were actually serious about slowing traffic, governors would be better IMO.

Atleast its Ontario/Quebec doing that, and not a federal policy. The greeny bunch out east can keep their big brother approach.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maximum speed on the 5500 is 75MPH.. Yeah they have them down here too..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by .boB

In 2006 ATA and Road Safe America petitioned NHTSA to require 68 m.p.h. speed limiters on all trucks over 26,000 lbs. GVWR built after 1994 . The petition wasn't granted because NHTSA knew several past studies concluded the speed variance and increased interactions by forcing trucks to go slower than the other traffic increased the risk of accidents . These studies were presented to Ontario officials . The speed limiter law was passed while a similar study was being done in Ontario . That study stated that as highway capacity is reached speed limiters have a negative effect on safety .
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
There was supposed to be a huge truck convoy protest March 3 and not even a dozen trucks showed up .
Because of the speed limiters, many are still en route.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I can't see speed limitations in REDNECK country There would be too many semis falling through the ice on the ice roads if they have to drive slow.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was driving the Kenworth was governed at about 72 MPH anyway so wouldn't have been a big deal for me.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 PM

speed limiters

In the last couple of years, many freight companies have governed their trucks below 70 mph and activated no idle policies because of the higher price of fuel. I don't see them increasing the speed of their trucks now that fuel is lower. The company I drive for lowered our speed from 78 to 75 and have talked about going lower. I know that several of the companies have gone as low as 62. I wouldn't say it's not coming in the U.S. Drivers will drive at whatever speed the companies set the trucks at, government enforced or not. -CK
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
Don't a lot of states have semi speeds, and then passenger vehicle speeds already?

If they are going to limit speeds on trucks, they should use a governor on them, not a tattle box that gets downloaded. At that point, its just the government coming to collect their monthly dues for people speeding. I know thats the overall goal, but if they were actually serious about slowing traffic, governors would be better IMO.

Atleast its Ontario/Quebec doing that, and not a federal policy. The greeny bunch out east can keep their big brother approach.
This video gives a good reason why trucks shouldn't be governed at or below the speed limit . Too many drivers run at full governed speed and can't accelerate to maintain control if they have a blowout .
http://www.olblueusa.org/video/strea...e_blowout.html