Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New 53' Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 53' Trailer

well i finally did it. Just ordered a new American Hauler closed 53' race trailer to deliver my horse carriages with. will have 40' of deck space and a wall betwwen the 40' and the goose neck. that leaves us a 6' area behind the gooseneck area for sleeping accomadations.
Trailer weighs in at 7600 lbs and the carriages will never load out over 5000 so even tho it is LONG i won't have a lot of weight.
Been doing it for years with a flat bed but the buggies always took a beating. Also i think the closed trailer may pull a little easier as the wind will "slide " down the sides instead of detouring at each buggy on the load.
Now to sell the gooseneck and help finance it before the wife catches on to what i have done

[/IMG]

We got popped by the DOT again for the "sleeper" on this trailer. They insist you cannot sleep in this trailer when we stop at nite. Say's we can sleep on the ground but not in the trailer. Claim you have to have windows all the way around so you can observe the surroundings and have to have "escape door".
Hard to understand, you can buy a horse trailer with sleeping quarters and car racing trailers with sleeping quarters ? What gives with their logic?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
WOW!!!!!....53 feet!?

Do you have to register it in two different time zones?.......
Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 AM

I know it is long. The gooseneck flat we are presently using is 48' so not a lot of diffence. 90 % of it's use is interstate so not to bad. We advise our customers to either have us deliver to an area that will acomadate it or to meet us somewhere close with a trailer to take the carriage to it's final destination.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by herb

We got popped by the DOT again for the "sleeper" on this trailer. They insist you cannot sleep in this trailer when we stop at nite. Say's we can sleep on the ground but not in the trailer. Claim you have to have windows all the way around so you can observe the surroundings and have to have "escape door".
Hard to understand, you can buy a horse trailer with sleeping quarters and car racing trailers with sleeping quarters ? What gives with their logic?

Are you logging "sleeper " time? A sleeper by DOT rules has to be a certain size, have a restraint system, etc. A motel room won't qualify as a sleeper. If you read the regs there isn't any requirement to even sleep while logging your 10 hours off duty, so log off duty time and sleep where ever you want. Works for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:29 AM

Wheres the pics of the new cover wagon? 53' what a monster.

Jed
Old 10-22-2006, 12:37 AM

Nice truck, I would love to own one just like it. Great color put my 01 flat bed to shame
Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 AM

How are you going to get rid of the flatbed? I kind of need one, 3 jeeps don't fit on a 26 footer.........................hmmmm.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Puddlestomper
How are you going to get rid of the flatbed? I kind of need one, 3 jeeps don't fit on a 26 footer.........................hmmmm.
it is 36 (not 26) of useable deck behind the sleeper. i have it on Ebay with a bid on it now. We'll see
Old 10-22-2006, 09:39 AM

It is being custom built so will be 3-4 weeks before i can get actual photos. link to website photos is http://www.americanhauler.com/Race_T...hawk/index.php
Old 10-23-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by herb
it is 36 (not 26) of useable deck behind the sleeper. i have it on Ebay with a bid on it now. We'll see
Yeah, what I meant was I have a 26, and need a 36. So, I looked, but couldn't find it. Can you post or pm me the link? I would like a chance to bid if it doesn't get too high too quickly.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 AM

You may be suprized at the "ease of pulling" but your fuel economy may suffer. I pulled a v nose 4 place snowmobile trailer this summer with 4 quads trailer weight est. 2900 for trailer 2800 in quads (probably little on heavy side) 5700lbs. Didn't know it was even there but at 65-70 mph I dropped about 5 mpg. Not at all complaining about fuel milage though I would hate to think what a gasser would have gotten.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GAmes
Are you logging "sleeper " time? A sleeper by DOT rules has to be a certain size, have a restraint system, etc. A motel room won't qualify as a sleeper. If you read the regs there isn't any requirement to even sleep while logging your 10 hours off duty, so log off duty time and sleep where ever you want. Works for me.
Until the dot requires you to show them motel receipts. Without them they will ticket you for the log violation. No receipts and you are on duty the whole time.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:04 AM

Haulin---
Anyway to sleep in trailer with DOT approval ? This trailer is being built with area specifically for sleeping use . one window one door 6 foot x 8 foot "free" area and 8 foot x 10 foot gooseneck area for mattress.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 AM
Chapter President

You'll like the Living area.....it saves alot of money in travel costs
I had a 53 ft enclosed trailer with Living area but sold it because it was a real pain to drive around city streets with ( always clipping curbs or coming too close to parked cars ) But for freeway driving it was great to have the extra loading area for cargo
I also have a 44 ft enclosed trailer with living area too, it only has 30 ft of of loading area but works much better for city driving
One thing that is needed when using these loooong trailers are big convex mirrors on the right side to be able to watch the trailer in right hand turns.....these extra mirrors have saved me from hitting things many times during right turns......and I mounted extra lights on the rear sides that are ez to see at night when making turns ( I have a set over the wheels.....and at the very rear of the trailer ) to make the track of the trailer ez to see at night

****** Most trailers are either too small or too large I've never had a trailer thats just the right size******
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your new one, did you end up getting a triple?

Quick Reply: New 53' Trailer