Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need another Max Break

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need another Max Break

So where does one find a Max Break controller? I bought another truck and want another controller to match the one I have. I cannot seem to find them anywhere.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
It looks like MaxBrake fell off the edge of the earth, quite rapidly in the last 2 months.

I use a past era Kelsey 61740 hydraulic controller. Same smooth follow of your braking effort. Adjustment is manual, but not difficult. I have no time at all for a pendulum accident creator......er brake controller.

I have a feeling the over-engineering in the maxbrake bit them in the afterburner.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by electrifried
So where does one find a Max Break controller? I bought another truck and want another controller to match the one I have. I cannot seem to find them anywhere.
On another forum the couple who use to sell the Max Brake controller on line have gone out of business. See their remarks attached below. An I quote.

"August 24th, 2013: To Our Max Brake Customers

While we love and will continue to use our Max Brake ourselves, it is with great sadness & regret I have to let you know that effective immediately, we will no longer be the online retailer as we have no product left.

The phone number for Max Brake is 337-328-2264 e-mail:info@maxbrake.com

I want to re-assure all of our MB customers that you will always be able to get in touch with me for any inquiries, issues, or technical questions. I will authorize warranty repairs directly back to Max Brake. We will always continue to take care of our Max Brake customers.

Diana"

Other have tried to reach Max Brake by the phone number listed and it is either out of order or disconnected. Some posters think that Max Brake went out of business too.

Jim W.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Bummer about MaxBrake........That is the only controller that works well with my combo.

I tried to call them earlier this year, but the phone was disconnected and email went unanswered. Dutch and Di were helpful though.

May have to start looking for one of the old skool hydraulic controllers myself!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can look for a BrakeSmart also.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Did Brakesmart (which I have) go out of buisness too?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes brakesmart is out
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
yes brakesmart is out
Yeap, You won't get mine from me unless it is from my cold dead hands...LOL I wish someone would step back up and make a good controller.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM

What's knocking them off?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 PM

Cequent?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
Cequent?
Which routine?

a. Here's a roll, go take a permanent vacation.

b. How ya going to haul tires with 2 broken legs. (personal experience)
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
What's knocking them off?
If I remember right, there was a discussion on here about that very issue and it was determined that the new trucks wouldn't tolerate anything being tapped into the hydraulics of the brake system. Messed them ALL up I guess, triggered codes, caused other things to not work, etc.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it is not that. it still works on the new trucks, you have to change some wiring to disable the factory equipped controller. I think it is not enough people know enough about how they work and when they compare price to a pos junk p3, they buy the junk. the maxbrake and smartbrake both send a variable width pulse to the brakes where the width of the pulse is in direct proportion to the truck applied hydraulic pressure. the pressure sending unit is the only expensive part and it is only about $20. there must be someone out there that can get a china version going.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by carl48
it is not that. it still works on the new trucks, you have to change some wiring to disable the factory equipped controller. I think it is not enough people know enough about how they work and when they compare price to a pos junk p3, they buy the junk. the maxbrake and smartbrake both send a variable width pulse to the brakes where the width of the pulse is in direct proportion to the truck applied hydraulic pressure. the pressure sending unit is the only expensive part and it is only about $20. there must be someone out there that can get a china version going.
I might just get on that. Judging from the radio noise my pendulum controller made, it also uses PWM. It also was pretty weak, losing a couple of volts through the controller.

PWM is a piece of cake. Doing the logic is also a piece of cake, either hard parts, PIC, Basic Stamp, or whatever. MOSFET technology should cut the voltage drop to millivolts.

Now liability insurance, and our litiginous society are another matter. Maybe I can put it up as a DIY for folks that drive real trucks, instead of the modern curvy girly ones.

Right now I'm working on keeping all my batteries from auto-digesting themselves by rigging desulfators.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
j martin
I think coming out with a DIY version is a great idea! I hope you follow through.
Although not in the market right now, I suspect my Jordan2020 won't last forever even though I've been real happy with it. The comments about Cequent eliminating the competition may be right on, as well as our litigious society making any new ventures hazardous. If I recall, Jordan closed down in large part because of those very issues.

Quick Reply: Need another Max Break