Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need advice from big 5th wheel haulers

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice from big 5th wheel haulers

I'm wanting to move up to a 38' Montana 5th wheel. Will my '97 3500 dodge handle the load? I guess what I'm asking, will the truck be struggling every inch of the way, when towing a trailer that size?
Even though the truck just turned over 242000 miles, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long distance trip. I don't think the auto trans has ever been worked on and that would be my biggest concern with towing a big rv, especially since we want to do some mountain trips.
We want to get the rv now and upgrade the truck in a few years. Just can't afford to do both at the same time. Thanks for your input. Ed
Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM

That is a huge trailer for a '97, especially one with an auto transmission. My personnal 5er weighs in the neighborhood of 13,000 loaded, and I have engine mods that put me at about 300 hp and 615 TQ. I wouldn't want to go any higher in trailer weight with my 3.5 gears, unless I only towed on flatlands.

In my job of transporting trailers I have moved several that were in the 15,000 range which is about where you would be with that 38 footer after it is loaded. I averaged about 100k per transmission when I was still running NV4500 5 speeds, and most of my trailers were in the 8000 to 10,000 range. If your engine and transmission are stock you will not like trying to move 15k through the mountains. If you get the tranny custom built, up the HP and have 4:10s then it is doable.

One other thing. I looked at the montana website and it appears the 3750FL model has a GVWR of 15,675. In TX that puts you in the non-commercial class A drivers license catagory by 175 pounds. (Truck GVWR of 10,500 + 15,675 = 26,175). Your state may have a DL requirement also.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks GAmes, that's exactly the information I needed, even though it tells me we need to look at a smaller trailer if we want to keep this truck. I just don't know if I want to spend several thousand dollars on a '97 to beef it up. And I never even thought about license issues.
We have until February to figure it out. There is a big RV show in Indianapolis then. Friends of ours got a great deal on a Bighorn there, last year. We hope to do the same this year. Thanks, Ed
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Its all about how fast up the hills you want to go. If you are ok taking your time, slowing down and running the hills in a lower/slower gear then you can do it.

You could upgrade your truck for MUCH cheaper than buying a new truck.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
You've gotten some great advice but the one thing I can add to that is.....slowing down. I cant stress enough how much an exhaust brake can turn towing something like that from scary to enjoyable. Especially in the mountains. I know that the early auto's weren't compatible with an exhaust brake so if you're even thinking of replacing your current factory auto (which will probably be a must with any trailer you choose) then consider getting one that will accept an exhaust brake. You will thank yourself many times over.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
I know that the early auto's weren't compatible with an exhaust brake so if you're even thinking of replacing your current factory auto (which will probably be a must with any trailer you choose) then consider getting one that will accept an exhaust brake. You will thank yourself many times over.
Excellent point. I installed an EB when my truck had less than 2000 miles on it. It has been a lifesaver many times.

"I just don't know if I want to spend several thousand dollars on a '97 to beef it up."

If the rest of your truck is in good condition and you plan on keeping it I see no problem in investing a few thousand $ to upgrade it. My G56 conversion came in at a little over $3K and I had about 730k on the clock at that time. I just spent $1500 to get my p-pump repaired. I like having an engine I can do the maintenance on. With no computers to screw up the works I can totally avoid dealers, a big plus when work sometimes takes me 2500 miles from home. I would rather spend those monthlies on important things like beer and fishing trips
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree with GAmes you will spend less on a g56 upgrade than trying to beef up that junk at. change the springs on the exhaust valves to 60 lbs and install a bd brake, they will sell you the springs with the brake. we also have a 94 that has nearly 1,000,000 miles on it that we still tow heavy with.do not worry about the license issue and i can give some inexpensive upgrades in power and mpg. go for that trailer.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
one more thing get a smartbrake or a maxbrake controller. these are the only two on the market that are true proportional. with a heavy trailer they are the only safe ones on the market.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GAmes
If the rest of your truck is in good condition and you plan on keeping it I see no problem in investing a few thousand $ to upgrade it.
Absolutely. I've known guys who didn't want to spend a couple thousand to upgrade their older truck but had no problems spending over $20 grand to replace that older truck with a newer one. That same $20 grand would have provided a whole bunch of upgrading.

Upgrading the braking is also hugely important, as the other guys have already mentioned. With a good exhaust brake, upgrading to larger wheel cylinders in your rear drums, and installing a Smartbrake or Maxbrake controller, you'll have infinitely better braking power.

I don't tow large trailers, but it also seems to me it would be a good idea to see how many axles on that 5er have brakes. If they only put them on one of the three axles I think it would be a good move to install brakes on at least one of the others as well, and maybe both.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a huge trailer for a '97, especially one with an auto transmission. My personnal 5er weighs in the neighborhood of 13,000 loaded, and I have engine mods that put me at about 300 hp and 615 TQ. I wouldn't want to go any higher in trailer weight with my 3.5 gears, unless I only towed on flatlands.

In my job of transporting trailers I have moved several that were in the 15,000 range which is about where you would be with that 38 footer after it is loaded. I averaged about 100k per transmission when I was still running NV4500 5 speeds, and most of my trailers were in the 8000 to 10,000 range. If your engine and transmission are stock you will not like trying to move 15k through the mountains. If you get the tranny custom built, up the HP and have 4:10s then it is doable.

One other thing. I looked at the montana website and it appears the 3750FL model has a GVWR of 15,675. In TX that puts you in the non-commercial class A drivers license catagory by 175 pounds. (Truck GVWR of 10,500 + 15,675 = 26,175). Your state may have a DL requirement also.
he also only has to comply with his state as far as a drivers lic is concerned if he is pulling his own stuff and for pleasure
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnite
Absolutely. I've known guys who didn't want to spend a couple thousand to upgrade their older truck but had no problems spending over $20 grand to replace that older truck with a newer one. That same $20 grand would have provided a whole bunch of upgrading.

Upgrading the braking is also hugely important, as the other guys have already mentioned. With a good exhaust brake, upgrading to larger wheel cylinders in your rear drums, and installing a Smartbrake or Maxbrake controller, you'll have infinitely better braking power.

I don't tow large trailers, but it also seems to me it would be a good idea to see how many axles on that 5er have brakes. If they only put them on one of the three axles I think it would be a good move to install brakes on at least one of the others as well, and maybe both.
Hey, I agree with this logic totally. "Keeping up with the Jones" seems to the preferred route of the entitlement age, instead of keeping that free and clear vehicle until its worn out. My truck is paid for and in tip top condition but, wow, those new Cummins look really nice and I bet they drive even nicer too. Sure I could go new and have a great warranty to boot, but for the equivalent of the monthly payments, higher insurance, and higher registration/licensing fee's, I could keep replacing worn out or broke parts on my old truck for many many years. And there's no point in trading it in anymore either since they wont give ya hardly anything, no matter how nice it is.

If the OP is interested in towing a trailer that big with his 97 "auto" instead of buying a new truck, then my suggestion is to get a built auto that can tackle the load. There's no need to convert it to a manual since a well built auto will handle it as long as the HP isn't ridicules. He obviously likes the old ride and I dont blame him for keeping it.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Ed, i have read all of the things others have posted. There is alot of good stuff to take from this. I have and tow a 3814 Raptor with a GVW of 15500 lbs. I started towing it with my 2000 Dodge 2500 with minor upgrades. I now tow it with my 93 dodge 350. I started with Transgo shift kits and upgraded my torq convertor. I still use the 2000 for towing little things like bobcats and other equipment. The 93 only has to pull the 3814 all over the country. So far I have had no problems. Yes it is slow in the mountains but no problems. You need to make the final decission for yourself. With a little money spent now you will have many miles of pleasure to come. Good Luck !
Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by gofastman
he also only has to comply with his state as far as a drivers lic is concerned if he is pulling his own stuff and for pleasure

Guess you didn't read the last sentence.

"Your state may have a DL requirement also."
Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 AM

Guess you didn't read the last sentence.

"Your state may have a DL requirement also."
no my point was that texas is no different than any other state....if he is not commercial, and he is enjoying life with his huge camper, he does not have to meet texas requirements if he does not reside there.

So yes i do read
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM

One thing you might want to consider with a 38 ft trailer is where you will are wanting to go camping. 38 ft is too large for some campgrounds. Mostly the state type are set up for shorter trailers, because they were built before long trailers were common.

Quick Reply: Need advice from big 5th wheel haulers