Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

My Double Tow Setup....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don T
I would find something stronger than the D links I see on the safety chaines,They won`t hold much if something does go wrong. My .02
I figured at 3400# a piece breaking load, two would be enough to cover me on a 2500# trailer.

What do you suggest?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
I figured at 3400# a piece breaking load, two would be enough to cover me on a 2500# trailer.

What do you suggest?
As we both know that the shear strength should the trailer get disconnected would double or more.I used those on one trailer and now use the links for chain with a bolt and piece of wire to keep the pin from getting lost.When it comes to trailering, stronger IS always better
Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you suggest?

You did a superior job fabing that up. As far as the question about the links your are using goes. The only thing I would change would be to unravel the chains, then route the chains through the safety hook hole then use the d-ring to attach the end link to another link in the chain. This would take up the slack in the chain and reduce any shock loading on the d-rings from an accidental separation.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What do you suggest?
Why not use a Grade 70 slip hook with a safety, you can even get the hooks already attached to 3/8 Grade 70 chain the correct length.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM

This set up is way cool. I have been trying to figure out the exact same set up. The class A license thing is a hassle if you not a commercial driver anyway.

Ever consider having the CHP look at the set up from the legal side?

Derek<*)))><
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Is this set up legal in Alberta canada?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 AM

I have a friend of mine that towes double. He has a 04 CC duelly 4X4, a 35' 5er toy trailer with 4 quads in it , then he hooks a 20' car trailer behind it with his V8 sandrail on it plus a 100 gal of gas. He hase'nt been caught by dot yet but I feel sorry for him when he dose.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the kind words on the fab guys. It wasn't rocket science, but I have been thinking about doing this for many years. Just finally got round to it.

I am unsure of the legality of this setup in ANY area. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it!So do your homework!

Hard to see well, but here is a pic of what I did with the chains as I didn't like the twisted links either, but still need the length when hooked to my pickup.

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  74.8 KB
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It certainly is a nice fabrication job and a great idea. The way I see the legal side (I'm no lawyer) is count the Vin numbers. Three vin numbers... towing double and that is allowed in some areas with restrictions, but not in other areas at all. I would be interested to hear what the DOT have to say, you may have stumbled on the a great idea that might need a patent.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
The way I see the legal side (I'm no lawyer) is count the Vin numbers. Three vin numbers...towing double.
I think he may have hit on the crux of the matter.
ONE trailer would only have ONE license plate.
How many does your setup have?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM

It has two plate, but junking the jet ski trailer and then removing the VIN sticker would fix that.

Heck, Id build another trailer just to get out of getting a class A. Make it two feet shorter to get under 65ft too!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 PM

looks great!

I've always wondered about doing something like that here in PA, not sure whats legal here...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:29 AM

I am a LEO in New Mexico. FYI, this set up is not legal in NM. The first trailer has to be a 5th wheel, not a bumper pull and it is too long, over 65' total.

Also, I have been at several accidents where the driver of a double trailer set up has lost it in the wind, slippery roads and could not recover. Be careful, this type towing can be dangerous, very unforgiving.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by sarmeier
I am a LEO in New Mexico. FYI, this set up is not legal in NM. The first trailer has to be a 5th wheel, not a bumper pull and it is too long, over 65' total.
Not to put words in the OP's mouth, but his premise is that this is not two (2) trailers. It is only one (1) single trailer that pivots/articulates in the middle.
The real question: Is it 1 trailer or 2?
Suppose he made the 2nd half rigid, non-pivoting. Made up a steerable axle under the 2nd half. Would anyone consider that to be a 2nd TRAILER or merely part of the first?
We understand about the overall length issue.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:07 PM

I see where your going with this.........The second vin is going to bust you.

I would make another articulating portion of the trailer, and make it look more permanent and the right length with the plate on the very back. You also need to pull the vin number off of the camper trailer and have a new one issued because it is no longer the same trailer, its a new (style) trailer.

Then take it to the CHPs office and have it signed off with a road worthy sticker and take it to the DMV and get the new vin and registration.

I use to build one off boat trailers and we had to get them signed off in order to get a vin number.

Quick Reply: My Double Tow Setup....