Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Multiple hitches

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple hitches

Anyone else have multiple hitches I have my tag along factory hitch,plus a bed 20000lb 5th wheel,and a Curtis fold down gooseneck hitch<br>And I have a Tekonsha Voyager XP brake control because it handles 1-4 axles but have been thinking of using a TEKONSHA PRODIGY.....does anyone think this is a better control ?? and why<br>
Old 12-04-2002, 07:29 PM

Re:Multiple hitches

i have the factory hitch and a 16,000LB 5th wheel hitch and a tekonshe brake control
Old 12-04-2002, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two recievers - one in the front and one in the back
Old 12-05-2002, 09:08 AM

Fifth in the bed and receiver on the back.<br> Have to take the boat to go fishing, you know.<br><br>Bill
Old 12-05-2002, 09:53 AM
Chapter President

The biggest problem I had was installing a Gooseneck and a 5th wheel side plates into the same frame bolt holes...but after many hours of cusing :-X and a case of beer ;D...it came out looking and working good
Old 12-05-2002, 12:04 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=pappyman link=board=11;threadid=7879;start=0#75733 date=1039050979]<br>Anyone else have multiple hitches I have my tag along factory hitch,plus a bed 20000lb 5th wheel,and a Curtis fold down gooseneck hitch<br>And I have a Tekonsha Voyager XP brake control because it handles 1-4 axles but have been thinking of using a TEKONSHA PRODIGY.....does anyone think this is a better control ?? and why<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Pappyman,<br><br>Prodigy is definitely better than Voyager. But, after using a Prodigy, the Jordan is that much better. Why not have the best? It will handle 3 axles.<br><br>Bob
Old 12-05-2002, 09:00 PM

Goose in the bed and receiver hitch in the rear. Gooseneck (Putnum Popup) was a 3 hour job, 12 pack of beer and the bruzed hands hurt less after number 7.<br><br>The Prodigy is great and my last controler was the Voyager XP which was good but the Prodigy is smooth braking and fire and forget setup. <br><br>I hear good things about the B&amp;W Gooseneck hitch that you can put an adaptor in for 5th wheel connector. Plugs into the goose reciever port and then level the support sides in the bed to make it very snug. Saw it on &quot;2 Guys Garage&quot;.<br><br>Good pulling.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:58 AM
Chapter President

Just put in a 5th wheel tool box yesterday and have to admit its great to be able to 90* a trailer without worrying about hitting the tool box or having the trailer dip into the tool box...plus all the extra storage...should have done this a long time ago :<br><br> Does the Prodigy handle 4 axles reason I ask is some times I have to pull a 4 axle gooseneck equip trailer ??
Old 12-06-2002, 09:06 AM

Everybody is going to this high dollar prodigy, but I have been running tekonsha voyager 9030's for years. Their only rated for 2 axles but I used to have an 8-horse 3-axle trailer and I could lock up all 6 tires if I wanted to. Am I mising something here ??? :
Old 12-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Chapter President

Just got back from my local dealer...he had a Prodigy in stock so we plugged it in and I tryed it out with my 44ft trailer ....I wasnt impressed by it just seem to be sloppy stopping with a heavy load ...so for the price I think I'll stick with my current Voyager XP 9035 ...until I find something better at a resonable cost (maybe a Jordan) if the cost is in line :P
Old 12-07-2002, 12:14 AM

Pappyman,<br><br>I check my Prodigy documentation and yes it can handle a 4 axle trailer.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:37 AM

I nave two Voyagers I'll give to anyone, their gatherin dust. Both voyagers need to be constantly adjusted while towing. As the terrain changes so must the adjustment. They either lockup, :'( or don't brakke unough, depending on the grade you're on. That little pendelum is the problem.<br><br>With my Fiver' weight I pulled the first trip and decided too dangerous. Time to get something better. Studied claims of Prodigy and Jordan. <br><br>For some Jordan is the best, that mechanical attachment of a cable to the brake pedal gives them a sense of security. With the adjustable pedels on the Ram, Jordan is still without the proper adapter for their control. You can install it but you can't adjust the pedals.<br><br>I chose the Prodigy. It is so vastly improved over the voyager. It has tru proportional braking. Instead of a pendalum which is effected by level, it has has a solid state electronic acceleration/deceleration sensor. It senses change in speed of vehicle. When you brake it applies the brakes proportional to the truck braking. You can preset it for additional braking to start when the brake lites first come on before the truck brakes take hold. When you come to a full stop the Prodigy reduces the amount of current to trailer brakes to a minimum to dold the trailer. The Voyager keeps pumping out amps to those magnets in the trailer or none at all, depending on how its adjusted. If you initially adjust the Prodigy you can come to a panic stop without lockup. One Prodigy can be moved from one vehicle to another, just buy additional wiring harness/s at $10 each. <br><br>You run with a $30K-$40K truck and a trailer worth that much or more when loaded. I doesn't make sense to pinch pennies using a $70 controller that was designed 15 years ago. Sure the Prodigy will cost you $125 or more. Technology improves stay up with the times, your life depends on it. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><b r><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><b r><br>$40k
Old 12-07-2002, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a cheap Hayes which was a heck of a lot better controller than the Voyager. Based only on my personal experience with the Voyager I'd never buy another Tekonsha controller again.