Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need your advice on who makes a strong trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your advice on who makes a strong trailer

I am in need of some advice on what brand TT or fiver to buy. I need a durable interior with bunk beds and as many amneties as possible. It has to stand up to northern winters and roads, plus my two toddlers and 4 dogs. My kids are 6 and 5 and very energetic. I will probably put around 8k miles on it in the first year while traveling from shipyard to homeport(Texas to Virginia to New Orleans to Virgina). I am looking for around a 30 footer and don't wish to go broke but know that you get waht you pay for. I have Holiday Rambler, Arctic Fox/Nash in mind but most of the dealers around here sale the Prowler, Terry or similar brands. I am really interested in facts and figures concerning the appliances(brand names), the type of framing(wood or aluminum), The exterior and the type or number of axles. I have friends that have experienced leaks around the roof seams, junk appliances and wheel bearing or axle problems. Any help or suggestions in regards to any items in. on or pertaing to a trailer is really appreciated and desired. I do not however wish to get into a brand war. I appreciate pride in your equipment and expect it. For those that believe someone has led me astray, don't worry I will decipher any and all comments for myself. Then it is pray for guidance and make my purchase from there. Thanks for any and all comments. P.S. I only have a month to get this done, so please don't dilly dally with your comments! ;D
Old 10-22-2003, 08:43 AM

Re:Need your advice on who makes a strong trailer

You are right, "You get what you pay for". Make sure you get a slide-out, with kids you will need the room. Look at Golden Falcon, (Made in Canada but sold in USA too.) Sea Breeze, Artic Fox, and Alpinlite. The lower priced TT will not hold up. They are made for the weekend camper. I like the 5th wheel over the trailer. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try THIS thread. It seems to pretty much follow along with what you're asking about.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:31 PM
KC

Well, most of the top line of RV trailers don't have bunk houses they are made for the retirees, Teton, alpha, Cameo are some of the best! Step down to Montana's, Cardinals, Cedar Creeks, Sea Hawks and others!

KC
Old 10-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever brand of trailer you buy make sure that the axles are oversized. So that weight will not effect the amount of things that you can take with you. Remember kids come with a lot of accessories, not to mention wives. I too feel that you will like a fifth wheel better than a TT. Especially in the hook up and unhook departments. EQ hitches are a pain.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 PM

tanks to all who posted and especially HOSSSSS. I searched your link and found some others cause of it. I was in the post you sent me to by the way. ;D Still have no idea but I am going against the THOR product line for now. Will be looking out for more answers on my thread and doing more research too! Sorry for the mistakes, I am tired and alittle under the barley tonight. Real hard day at work! :P
Old 10-23-2003, 04:46 AM

Newmar makes an excellent trailer. Our American Star held up very well and was well made. Excellent structural strength. They make a fiver that may be just what you are looking for. Their 35DBDB model is laid out like a standard fiver but adds a separate rear bunk bedroom complete with its own toilet and shower. The American Star is Newmar's low end but structurally similar to their high end products and built on the same line. A tour of their plant in Indiana convinced us they they build a solid unit. Their website is www.newmarcorp.com and you have to install their floorplan veiwer first which only takes a few seconds. Worth a look. We just recently bought our second Newmar based on the positive experience with our 97 American Star. When we sold it after seven seasons, the people who bought it from us said it still looked like a new trailer. And we use our rig a lot. You do get what you pay for with the Newmar in my opinion. Good luck in your search.

Casey
Old 10-23-2003, 09:45 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our Alpinlite has been tough but don't know if they do a bunkhouse or not.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:54 PM

I've got a 30 foot Nash TT with a bedroom and a double bunkhouse. It's a wood-frame & aluminum siding. It's got a 6 inch lift kit on it and I tow it all over the Rockies and the west coast, highways, dirt roads & jeep tracks. It's built with heavier steel frame and axle components than other trailers, and the wood frame and interior carpentry is heavier, too. So it weighs more. But that's what the Cummins/1-ton is for.

Appliances are fairly standardized in TT's & 5th wheels, because it's a comparatively small market. Coleman Mach, Magic Chef, American Gas, etc. But I've never had any failures, leaks, or breakdowns. Had to glue some screws into a cabinet hinge. That's it.

Would buy a Nash/Arctic Fox again.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 PM

I appreciate all the help and the comments/stories. I am looking at a Wilderness bunkhouse and hope it works out. I really like the warranty in comparison but have HR alumascape and Jayco are close seconds for what I can afford. The Titan and the Alpha looked good but to pricey for me right now. A 6 inch lift is unreal but sounds like you need it to get in and out of the places you go.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 AM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.

I've got the Arctic Fox 26Z. It has triple bunks along with the queen bed for me and my wife. It is well insulated and the towing length is 29'6". It pulls well with the Dodge. I paid $19,999 for a 2003 close out with every option except a Fantastic Fan and a generator.

100 Proof
Old 10-31-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airstream is an excellent travel trailer, well built of aluminum. My brother has had one since 1973 and it's put up with a lot of kids and hunters over the years, being dragged up one mountainside and down another. It was even taken to Costa Rica and back this year. Modifications would need to be made removing the queen bed to accommodate bunks beds.

Whatever you buy, tt or 5er, make sure the tanks and water lines are insulated and that it has the proper size tires.