Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

MOR-RYDE rubber king pin

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOR-RYDE rubber king pin

Hi all. Was wondering how many were using this product, and your thoughts on it. Trying to avoid using an air ride hitch. Weight and bulk issues. Thanks
Steve
Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up MORryde IS suspension and rubber Kingpin

I promised you I would report on our opinion of the new MORryde rubber kingpin when we returned from vacation. Well, so, I'm getting old and senile and a few other things - - sorry. Anyway, here it is.

We went to the MORryde factory in Elkhart in July and had their independent suspension (IS) installed. While there, I looked over their new rubber kingpin assembly and decided I had to have it. The thing I missed most from our motorhoming years was the pleasant ride in the MH. The thing I hated most in the fiver was the ride. The changes the two upgrades have made are quite amazing and definitive.

First, the axles: the fiver obviously rides smoother - - things inside do not move. Some of the roads in Newfoundland were horrible. They have not figured out how to make an approach to a bridge match the road configuration. When you hit a bad ridge across the road in the truck, I would always sort of duck waiting for the fiver to hit it and whap me in the back. Well, it doesn't do it anymore. Dramatic change there.

Then, the kingpin: I have posted several times I hate air bags in any configuration. So, I had resisted moving to either the air hitch or air pin. The air hitch has so many parts, bearings, bags, shocks, pump them up, leaks, etc - - just didn't feel comfortable with it. Then, I drove a rig with the hitch - - very uneasy feeling in the flexibility. You never quite felt you had a good hookup. Probably something you get used to, but I didn't like it. The air pin I have no personal experience with, but it is still an air bag - - pump it up, hope it doesn't blow or leak. And, you cannot use the kingpin stabilizer with the air pin - - too much movement.

The MORryde pin unit gives you 3" fore/aft movement and 2" side to side movement of the trailer in the pin. The rubber pin is tight enough that you will seldom ever feel a shift in the truck when starting and stopping unless you hit it hard and fast. The big difference is the fore/aft movement is cushioned. No longer do I get the harsh whap in the back - - it is a surge. You can feel the smooth movement rather than the harsh one. It is limited by rubber bumpers at the extreme end of the movement and I seldom felt it reach the end in spite of the roads.

Perchance of a failure of the rubber block, there are limiting pins that come into play limiting the movement within the parameters of the box. It would probably be a little annoying driving if it broke, but certainly managable. And, the kingpin stand stabilizer still works like a champ. Total cost installed was a bit over $800 and worth every penny in my opinion. Installation is quite easy and straigtforward.

Between the two changes, the ride in the truck has changed dramatically. I had second guessed my decision to go to fifth wheel on several occassions after hitting some really tough roads. I am quite happy now in our choice - - this has made our ride much more comfortable. I certainly loved the stability of our rig on the road - - no side movement or corrective steering when the bus comes roaring up beside you like in our motorhomes. These upgrades were the missing link to making our travels much more comfortable. I also have to believe the change in ride and cushioning effect of the two improvements has to be much easier on the frame and assemblies of the fifth wheel.

Bob
Old 11-03-2004, 06:43 PM

Thanks Bob. Been waiting for that report. Now get back to work on some more mods for my rig will ya.

Casey
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Casey Balvert
Thanks Bob. Been waiting for that report. Now get back to work on some more mods for my rig will ya.

Casey
Hey Casey,

Did I tell you about this new GISMO I found. It will increase your mileage by 131%, fix coffee in the morning, improve the ride in the truck and drive your rig while you catch a nap. They are really inexpensive in price and .... ... ... and . .... ..... .... well, maybe I should not tell you. I got a nasty Email from your wife about all your gadgets and something about me being a bad influence on you and ..... .... ..... well, you know. I just better shut up.

I'llNeverTellBob
Old 11-03-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks Bob...good review. Let's see...Brakesmart, MORryde king pin, Aux fuel tank, Exhaust brake(type to be determined)...Ah man!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good write up Bob.

I will post a review of the AdvancedAirRide Hitch and Brakesmart right after the first trip coming up here in a few weeks.

I know Bob, you dislike the air bags and I would too if I had that many unfortunate experiences. I also feel that they can do a good job in the correct application and environment. Afterall, the long haul rigs have air ride, air cab etc etc.

I will be thorough and concise with my findings.

I think I sent Casey a msg thanking him for finding another gadget I want too.

You all have a George Foreman Grill correct?

Scotty
Old 11-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Can't afford the grill now...too many items on the truck wish list..(just saw the ad foe the A2 Edge controller)...Thinking of getting the wife a Brakesmart controller or a set of bilstiens for Christmas...Which do you think she would like the best?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SteveZ
Thinking of getting the wife a Brakesmart controller or a set of bilstiens for Christmas...Which do you think she would like the best?
Either way, you're better off than me. My wife wanted (and got) a new 5ver for Christmas!

Rusty
Old 11-04-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
Either way, you're better off than me. My wife wanted (and got) a new 5ver for Christmas!

Rusty
Sure - - go ahead - - rub it in. Dang it - - hate people that do that.

JealousRageBob
Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Can't afford the grill now...too many items on the truck wish list..(just saw the ad foe the A2 Edge controller)...Thinking of getting the wife a Brakesmart controller or a set of bilstiens for Christmas...Which do you think she would like the best?
Theres a large group of us meeting Nov 20 in Red Deer, you able to make it? Check the events page.

Scotty
Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 PM

Bob, I married one of those GIZMOS. Well, maybe she didn't improve my mileage that much. However should definitely take exception to me getting another one of THOSE GIZMOS.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:22 PM

You mean you married a blonde too? My blonde constantly keeps me in stitches. She is such a joy. We have a lot of fun together.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 PM

Scotty...
I'm in Toronto on the 20th, guess I'll hafta miss this one.
Steve
Old 11-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Scotty...
I'm in Toronto on the 20th, guess I'll hafta miss this one.
Steve
Call in sick, get your priorities straight.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
You mean you married a blonde too? My blonde constantly keeps me in stitches. She is such a joy. We have a lot of fun together.
She's not blonde but close enough. I have been keeping her around for entertainment. Warped sense of humor that gal has. Glad she likes to hang around with me.

Casey