Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Michelin LTX AS - Your thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX AS - Your thoughts??

A friend is willing to sell me these Michelin tires but I don't know if they are a good tire for my truck?? I currently have the BF Goodrich and they will need replacing soon.. The price of these is nearly half of new. They have only 1-2 K on them. I haven't looked at them, but on Michelin website they look like a passenger tire? My driving consists of highway/streets and towing 10,000# trailer. Rarely off road.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BFG's are the tops in my opinion. Michelins are good for long road hauling but lack any other qualities except long life.

Keep the BFG's for winter and run the Michelins in the summer.

Rick
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Banned

If you stay on road you'll love em. In the rain they are excellent, average in the snow, and flat out suck off road. They are one of the best on road towing tires available.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, the Michelins is an excellent highway tire. I have 30k on mine with half the tread left. But they will get you stuck in wet grass.

MikeyB
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 AM

I've got the Michelin's & I too got stuck in wet grass w/ an empty dump trailer behind me. Arggggh! What's sad is that two 4wheelers had to brake me loose.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 AM

I love them and have been in all weather.
52000 miles on them and still maybe 8-10k left on them.
I drive in rain and grass all the time with no problems to date.
The place we offroad I tow in dirt, grass, and light mud with no problems and do fine hunting.
Yes they are not off road tires but then our trucks are not off road trucks they are tow rigs.
Just got back from WV yesterday gross just a little under 20K

Jon
Old 08-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got >60k out of them, on my Ranger; >65k on my F150, 2x!; And will put them on the Dually, when the time comes!

My dad had >80k out of them on his explorer and LTD!

Living in the desert, I don't have to deal too much with wet weather, so I never really develop a feel fro wet weather traction issues. However, on my F150, I never had a problem pulling any boat out of the water!

HTH

Tony
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The LTX A/S's are about a bajillion times better than the crummy OEM LTX M/S tires that come on our trucks when it comes to all weather performance. I have had both on my 2500 and can say without a doubt that they will perform just about as well in the winter as a BFG All Terrain and will actually give some off-highway traction......add to this that they will seriously out last an All Terrain in highway mileage, you have a excellent all around tire.....but, they ain't cheap.

If you have a chance to get some LTX A/S's at half price, I say go for it.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:07 PM

Speed rating

Anyone know the speed and temp rating on the LTX A/S?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA MAN
A friend is willing to sell me these Michelin tires but I don't know if they are a good tire for my truck?? I currently have the BF Goodrich and they will need replacing soon.. The price of these is nearly half of new. They have only 1-2 K on them. I haven't looked at them, but on Michelin website they look like a passenger tire? My driving consists of highway/streets and towing 10,000# trailer. Rarely off road.

Thanks!
If they look like a passenger tire they may be because they have 2-3 different ones in the same tire and size. Make sure they are load range E should be in the 3200 lbs or so.
I also think they are LT 265-70-17 not the P265-70-17 P is for passenger
Jon
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
The LTX A/S's are about a bajillion times better than the crummy OEM LTX M/S tires that come on our trucks when it comes to all weather performance. I have had both on my 2500 and can say without a doubt that they will perform just about as well in the winter as a BFG All Terrain and will actually give some off-highway traction......add to this that they will seriously out last an All Terrain in highway mileage, you have a excellent all around tire.....but, they ain't cheap.

If you have a chance to get some LTX A/S's at half price, I say go for it.
Mine was stock with the a/s they don't make the ms in 17" for our trucks only in 16"
Jon
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the mix up.....I was referring to the 2nd gen OEM M/S tires.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Make certain that they are LT rated tires, and not P rated, as already stated.

We have people, all the time, that have gotten a real "deal" on a set of tires, only to find that they are P-rated passenger tires that are unfit for a truck.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks guys. I will ask to find out if they are P or LT's and insuring they are E rated. My OEM BF's only have about 26K and they are more than half gone.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:24 PM

They are great tires for highway and drive pavement. I have an 03 quad cab 4x4 and are still the original tires with 65k on them and still have another 10k left. Seems like they last forever, but don't use them on wet grass, off-road or snow because they are terrible under those conditions.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX AS - Your thoughts??