Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Maxbrake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chaikwa- the first few brake applications will be "abrupt", but then it quickly learns. It could also be rust on the drums as well, but the first 2 are usually slightly grabby, then its all clear sailing!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by klx650a2
Chaikwa- the first few brake applications will be "abrupt", but then it quickly learns. It could also be rust on the drums as well, but the first 2 are usually slightly grabby, then its all clear sailing!!!
Thanks klx650a2! That's good info.

chaikwa.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Took the trailer out today for the first time with the MaxBrake controller... WOW! (that's all I can say without violating site rules!) That trailer acts just like a semi now, the harder you push on the brake pedal, the more brakes you get. Just like it SHOULD be! No jerking or having to release the brake pedal a bit when you come to a stop at a light or stop sign. NICE!

Oh, one thing tho; DO NOT slide the manual brake application lever all the way to the left while moving... you will stop quite suddenly or lock up the fully loaded trailer brakes at highway speed! Ask me how I know this!

I've never believed you should need to spend more than $100 or so for a brake controller, but this was the best $350 I spent in a long, long time.

chaikwa.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Yes, once you've used a good, proportional brake controller, you'll never use anything ever again. That little lever on the bottom will lock up the trailer brakes hard. My dad found that out the hard way too.

Chaikwa- What do you have your calibration number set to?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Chaikwa- What do you have your calibration number set to?
I don't remember the calibration number, (the one with a 'T' beside it when in calibration mode while pushing the brake pedal), I *think* it was 45 tho.

The gain number I have it adjusted to, (the **** on the right side of the face), is 40. It seems to work fine there and it was the suggested number in the instructions.

Have you found anything different than what I have it set for?

chaikwa.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Yea, I changed my calibration number from 45 or so to 100. This was for towing in winter (I noticed you're in MI) and I am able to fine tune it better. Changing it to this number seemed to make it a even smoother braking experience.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this thread so pardon me for bringing it back up so late. Haven't been on in a while.

I just had my brakes replaced on my trailer. I never knew they needed adjusted (thinking after the fact it is a DUH moment) so I had to have new hubs, magnets, drums, shoes, etc.

I always ran my Maxbrake around 40 as the instructions said. However the brakes always locked up on the left side so I brought the number down. It currently sits at 29 and it stops fine, however the brakes still lock up. Very annoying.

I bought this controller thinking I wouldn't have to do any adjustment at all since it is hooked up to the trucks brake lines.

This is the first time I have ever towed. How do you all determine your gain #? The brakes locking up thing, am I just going to have to live with it? I'm talking about coming up to a redlight around 20 mph and slowing down. To me, they should never lock up unless I slam the snot out of them.

What makes it difficult for me is that I start out in the morning fully loaded at around 8k lbs and by the end of the day I am running maybe 5k. Am I going to have to start adjusting the gain every day? If so, what is the point in having it hooked up to the pressured brake lines on the truck?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Maxbrake question-trailer.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Are your brake shoes adjusted properly (I know, silly question) after the new ones were installed? Also I would make sure that each magnet is pulling the proper current and one is not drawing too much.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM

Are your brake shoes adjusted properly (I know, silly question) after the new ones were installed? Also I would make sure that each magnet is pulling the proper current and one is not drawing too much.
That is a good question. I assume they were, but not sure. I trust the guy that did it for many reasons. I am planning on taking it in in the next week or so to have them adjusted as he said for me to do it every quarter since I put 30k miles a year on the trailer. I'm not afraid to admit when it comes to current and whatnot, I am lost. LOL. Even with the trailer brakes. I can change disc brakes all day long but never have I done anything with drum brakes.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
DTR Advertiser

It sounds more like a backing plate / hub and drum problem than the brake control, considering it is only happening on one side. If they are new brakes, they may need some adjusting. Generally it is hard to get electric brakes to lock up in the first place. Once the MaxBrake is setup, it should need minimal if any adjustment.