Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Man, those Nissan guys are touchy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of the replies to that post staes that the driver of an expedition lost it even though he applied the brakes to corect a swaying trailer

you should actually speed up to correct a swaying trailer

then apply the brakes slowly after it has straightened out
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by grantx5
Dang it you beat me to the post!!! That was funny right thur
Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Chapter President

Somewhere in my owners manual on our exploder said it was rated for 9000#'s, I said to myself....."self, that is complete hogwash". Before I got my beloved Dodge CTD I had to get some gravel for the driveway. Took the exploder down to the gravel pit and had them load my 7000# trailer. I went across their scales and had 5000#'s of rock. I have helper springs on the exploder, but that did not help, it sagged horribly in the rear. Yes, the V6 pulled it wonderfully, until I hit the hill coming up the ridge to my house. I swear that thing downshifted to second gear and was reving it's butt off. Had to use 4 low to pull it up my incredibly steep driveway to unload. Needless to say, I never hauled that heavy again. I had the trailer brakes on max and they were doing all they could do. Not a wise decision on my part, did it once and decided it was time for something heavier.

I see these fools on the highway all the time. Mom and Pop on retirement hauling 24',28' or bigger with half ton trucks, chains and bumper dragging the ground and what happens.......nothing. If I load up some metal to haul to a scrap yard the buttheads will be watching me like a darn hawk!!! Maybe I should grey my hair and gut a 53' race car trailer and make it look like a motorhome then load it with 20,000#'s of metal, I'll be alright then, cause then I'll just be another common idiot on the highway.

disclaimer: this post is in noway meant to be offensive to all retirees hauling their r/v. Just the morons who think its....ok to haul a house trailer with a toy truck
Old 11-05-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how that yamaharacer#84 on the toyhauler.com website tells the story of his wife driving in the snow with the cruise set to 69. Seriously, both the wife and the father need to get in a wreck and rid the earth of their bad gene pool. I'm only kidding, I don't really want them to die, but pretty much everything that comes out of that guys mouth (keyboard), is just plain ridiculous.

Originally Posted by rockhound
one of the replies to that post staes that the driver of an expedition lost it even though he applied the brakes to corect a swaying trailer

you should actually speed up to correct a swaying trailer

then apply the brakes slowly after it has straightened out
If you're going down hill and the trailer starts to sway, don't you want to apply only the trailer brakes to straighten it out? If I were going fast enough down hill to get the trailer to start swaying, the last thing I'd want to do would be to speed up. Don't take this as I'm telling you what to do, as I don't know what is correct. I'm actually asking, so that I can do the correct thing in a panic situation. I've got some experience hauling heavy trailers, but I've never gotten fast enough to have it start to sway.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM

Aplying the breaks would be better. I agree more speed is not always the best thing and you have to have enough power to speed up fast for that to work. You kind of have to wip the trailer into shape so to speak and thats not always posible. Personaly the aplying trailer breaks is a better and more likely to work solution.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:46 AM

The guy I work with has a Titan and we use it decently hard but we probably never tow more than 5,000 lbs. It is a pretty nice truck and he always tries to make fun of my truck and how he can out tow me yadda yadda. I just always smile and say ok because he has no clue what diesel power is. One day I'm going to have a towing competition with him
Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spyder3634
The guy I work with has a Titan and we use it decently hard but we probably never tow more than 5,000 lbs. It is a pretty nice truck and he always tries to make fun of my truck and how he can out tow me yadda yadda. I just always smile and say ok because he has no clue what diesel power is. One day I'm going to have a towing competition with him
Get some video of the carnage!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Dang it you beat me to the post!!! That was funny right thur
My brother gave me that video a couple of years ago, and I can't watch it without LMAO!

Nothing funnier (or scarier) than real life!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 PM

To correct trailer sway, I prefer to use the brakes, since I have the controller setup so that the trailer "leads" the truck when braking, so physics naturally cause the truck and trailer to stay (stably) where they should be.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:24 PM

The ridgeline guy is gonna have some big problems ahead of him even if he doesn't wreck. I know that TT weighs more than he thinks. I wonder how his tranny, brakes, engine, unibody construction, and Independant rear suspension (i think) are going to hold up towing that much weight.

He also says his unibody construction is superior to a full frame truck . Yeah ill take sheetmetal holding me up anyday over 1/4 - 5/16 inch steel formed frame rails.

The bad thing is he will continue to think he has the optimum towing setup until something bad happens. When his vehicle control system he talks of so highly wont be able to help because of the load he has behind him.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:36 PM

I just hope he doesn't take anyone with him when he removes himself from the gene pool...
Old 11-05-2006, 03:04 PM

The country boy post was by far my favorite on that thread.

I have read through just a handfull of there post, I think there are a few smart people. Most of them are not exactly genius material though .
Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Muted User

***Off topic of towing, but about Nissan Titan***

I do not know what these guys who buy these trucks are all about. I had one coast through an intersection I was waiting on a red light at, and I drove normal to the next stop sign. He was WOT practically the whole half mile to the stop sign, I was driving normal. He proceeds to wait for me at the stop sign, as there is no other traffic around.

I have no idea what he is trying to prove with his gasser that is about 15 years newer than my truck. So at the stop sign I just let him take off, and he slows down, and I get next to him doing about 30 and I punch el skinny pedal to the floor, unleashing a large cloud of black death for him to wallow in, and the next thing I know he is a quarter mile ahead of me and trying to get away. I do not race people ever, I just was trying to figure out this guy's intentions and it left me wondering one thing: would this clown have tried the same thing if I was in a newer truck? or does he see that my truck is old, think automatically he should play?

My feelings on this recollection of memories are: and on the cloud of smoke I gave him and his funny getaway,

Just my thoughs, figured I would share.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 PM

nissans are cute....to tow little things......
Old 11-05-2006, 07:54 PM

I apologized to the Ridgline guy for opening my mouth. He was obviosly correct. A Uni body is far superior to a frame any day.

Quick Reply: Man, those Nissan guys are touchy...