Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Just bought my first 5er, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just bought my first 5er, any tips?

Hey guys any tips for hitch care, removal, driving it's only 27' so not a huge length but I have never had a 5th wheel hitch set up before. I pulled everything from the frame hitch in the rear.
I can't wait for the snow to melt to try her out with the rugrats!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Just bought my first 5er, any tips?

Originally posted by greenworks
Hey guys any tips for hitch care, removal, driving it's only 27' so not a huge length but I have never had a 5th wheel hitch set up before. I pulled everything from the frame hitch in the rear.
I can't wait for the snow to melt to try her out with the rugrats!
PM me with your email and I will send you my checklist for hookup, setup, packup, etc. (If you want it )
Old 03-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Watch your turning radius, it will turn inside quicker than a travel trailer. I like the mirrors on the new Dodge, they can be set up so that I can see the 5er's tires when I turn. Helps to avoid the curbs on turns.

Enjoy your new 5er.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM

Congratulations on fiver, You will be really pleased with the towability of the fiver versus the tow behind. If you have towed before you won't have any problems.
Have fun!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM

What kind of speed do you guys pull at?, as you cam see from my sig there is no power problems.I have pulled several trailers regulary but not a travel trailer. Car trailers loaded with 10,000 + lbs etc. I'm wondering about stuff flying around inside if from for instance you hit a larger expansion joint in a bridge... even if stuff is stored and packed away?

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-05-2004, 10:55 PM
DPG

greenworks, congratulations on your new toy! My fiver is 31' and weighs about 11K pounds loaded. On the flat and straight I tow at 65 mph in OD. That puts me right in the "sweet spot" as far as the rpms for towing goes for my rig. The only thing that we've ever broken while towing is the glass lid to a crock pot, and this will be the 8th season with the current fiver. We had a 30' conventional trailer before, and the fiver is much easier to tow. It will take you a while to relearn the backing in part as the fiver responds differently than a behind-the-bumper TT.

Good luck and have fun. My fiver is still surrounded by snow banks
Old 03-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I tow according to conditions. On the interstate with good flowing traffic I will creap up toward 70, mostly about 65. I back it off on the sideroads so I can stop quickly with jerks that pull out in front of you.

Driving forward is much different than a TT. No sidesway, no problems with wind - - unlike any of my motorhomes. Corner wider than the TT and backing is different than TT - - you must anticipate your moves sooner. You will get the hang of it with some practise. I get a kick out of it when everyone gathers around to watch the backing process with the 36'er - - it is fun when I hit it the first time. I get a lot of thumbs up. Of course, that doesn't happen every time, drat it.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:26 AM

I pull a 26' and a 16' boat behind that. You will have no problems going down the road. I know for a fact that I can run in excess of 75 mph with mine. Yes, I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I was curious and it felt comfy. The best advice I can suggest is talk to other campers when you are camping and learn from their stories. Just take your time with set up and pack up. The best part is when you can sit back and enjoy the time with the kids and relax. My wife and I will sit at the table and play cards or a board game with our kids. We have a 15 year old girl and a 10 year old son so it is not easy to spend time with them BUT they enjoy our fiver too!!
Have Fun
Tom
Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Just remeber when you unhitch to block the wheels before you unhitch unless you could be in for a big suprise. The first trip we made was to the Blue Ridge and and when unhooking I forgot to block the wheels. You can get a real sinking feeling when seeing the trailer satrt to roll back down the hill in the campground. I was luckey that time it only went about two feet. I can tell you this I have never made that mictake again. You will love the way a 5th pulls. A whole lot better then a tow behind.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up LOOK UP,,,,,,,,,,

One other thing you may want to remember is that the 5er needs more height clearance than a TT. Tree branches, overhead wires, overhead awnings and anything else that may want to take the AC unit or top of your rig and make it shorter! We were in a little town up in the VA mountains and had to stop, back up down the road and take an alternate route because of an old railroad trestle crossing that was not marked. Keep a watchful eye out when traveling on roads where You may be the tallest vehicle that has went down that road in quite some time (Mostly neighborhoods and places where big-rigs don't go).

Take your time hooking and unhooking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DOUBLE-CHECK everything,,,,,,,,,, TRIPLE-CHECKING doesn't hurt if ya have a memory like mine,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,, and ENJOY!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 PM

A new 5er

oops!