Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

installing hitch with bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing hitch with bed liner

Has anyone installed a PullRite superglide 5th hitch that has a bed liner? I know I need the longer pins, but what about measureing to get the holes in the right place?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:05 AM

I installed a pullrite superglider and the hitch rails have about an inch of clearance between them and the bed. You won't have any problems.

The position/measurement for the holes are determined by a templet so there shouldn't be any problems with or without a bed liner.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:02 PM

I would be careful with the dimensions given by Pulrite. I just installed my superfith using the superrails and found the dimesions given in their installation instructions were off by as much as a half inch in each direction. I don't know if it is my truck frame or what. I don't know about the template since I didn't use one. Since I used the 1/16 inch pilot drill as recommended, I was able to make the corrections before drilling the larger holes. A suggestion made on another board to put masking tape over the pin holes in the brackets, clamp the brackets in place, then drill the pilot hole and check for center was a real life saver. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would be able to tell if the pilot hole in the bed was centered over the bracket hole since you cannot see the pilot hole from below when the brackets are in place and the 1/16inch pilot hole is too small to tell if you are centered from lookin down through the bed. Other than that, all went well. It took me (and my wonderful wife!) about 9 hours to get it all done. Much of that time was in putting the brackets in place, clamping them down to be sure they are seated correctly, drilling the pilot hole, removing the brackets to check for centering etc. By the end of the day, I was plenty tired from crawling under the truck, into the bed and back again. Once I was sure I had the correct location, it went pretty well. Some of the bolts were hard to get the torque wrench on due to interference but all in all, I am pleased with how it went. I will check all bolt torques again after my first short pull. As for the pin length, I think mine will be long enough. I am having my bed sprayed next weekend and will find out then.

George

George