Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How to quiet my generator

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAF
This is how I am going to quiet my generator. http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...goryCode=3483C

Just got done ordering it. I read a post on hear about this unit and went looking for as much info as I could. And the only thing that I found that came up often on the negative side was ( it's a little louder than the Honda EU's ).

I do love the EU 3000 that my buddy has but if this unit is a little louder that really isnt that bad of a negative. He turned everything in his camper on and I had a chat with the wife on the phone leaning over the generator.

I can buy six of these for the price of the EU3000

I have a camping trip planned in two weeks at a state park. I'll try to give a review after.

Rich

Great generator and very quiet especially for the price. I paid 300 for mine.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by smog2001
Great generator and very quiet especially for the price. I paid 300 for mine.
Have one don't waste your $$$ if your trying to use it in a campground. Although better then construction grade gens this one is not CG friendly. Search RV.net for a 400+ page on the Champion generator. We use ours only while hunting trying to scare the elk and deer at night so we don't have to get up as early

Oh ya, it's no where near a Honda for sound, think of your neighbors Briggs mower with your windows closed. You need to get the db readings and there is no industry standard yet. I believe this gen is 72-74 db at 4-6 meters and a Honda is 67-68 at 2 meters?? A typical adult conversation is 68-72db at arms length. again numbers are from my head and research but you get the idea.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:58 AM

I've got a 5kw gen with a 10 hp Tecumseh. Yep, it is a noisy bugger as are most flat head engine designs. The OEM muffler glows red when I run the gen with a good load. Local muffler shop owner is a good friend and he told me every attempt to put a muffler on a flat head resulted in burned valves.
I only use the gen at tractor pulls when noise isn't a concern. For camping, wife prefers a current bush so the gen stays at home.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
Last year when I browsed through the large weekend gathering of RV's and trailers at the tailgate area of a large ham radio swapmeet(Belton Tx.), I was astounded at the difference in noise from various gensets. There were the usual grand motor coaches with integral diesel gensets, motor homes with Onan, Kohler etc gas RV gensets and the various brands of portable gensets powering trailers etc. Some noisier, some quiet... Some mounted on the trailer tongue, some sitting on the ground.
The brand of genset that most impressed me was one of the Honda gensets that, as I strolled by, I truly could not tell it was even running. This was because of one of those Chinese tecumseh clone 3600rpm Screemin' Meemie's down the way was much louder than the Honda up-close.
I doubled back to take a closer look at the Honda sitting on the ground. I marveled at how stunningly quiet it was as I stood right over it, even while it was powering the A/C unit in the travel trailer.
Keeping my eyes out for them, I found about 2 more Honda portable units in-use there and every one of them was soooo quiet... (~3Kw)
I am a believer in 1800rpm gensets for longevity and quietness(Onan&Kubota), but if I ever have to buy a portable gasoline generator again it'll be a Honda without a doubt!

K.

If you think the Honda is quite check out this unit,

http://www.a-chainsaw.com/yamaha-inv...seb-p-242.html

it is what I run and you could just about sleep on top of this thing it's so quite. I bielieve they claim 51.0 - 57.0 dBA at 7 meters depending on rpm.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikelr
If you think the Honda is quite check out this unit,

http://www.a-chainsaw.com/yamaha-inv...seb-p-242.html

it is what I run and you could just about sleep on top of this thing it's so quite. I bielieve they claim 51.0 - 57.0 dBA at 7 meters depending on rpm.
It is another inverter type genset with variable engine RPM to get a quiet genset under partial loads.
I've not been a real big fan of inverter models because of all that extra microprocessor controlled, electronic power switching hardware which may give/receive RFI in a high RF environment. (Ham Radio operator)
But, what caught my eye about this Yamahammer is the BCU feature!.
THAT in my book helps compensate for the extra complexity by turning it into a portable genset version of a Hybrid-drive Car! Smaller engine to carry steady-state load and battery boost for momentary heavy loads...
Cool!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:57 AM

I have that same generator. I've tried everything from insulated boxes, to mufflers, to PILES of sandbags. Whoever said to sell it and get a honda was right on the money.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:06 AM

One reason for elevated pipe is to vent exhaust above the RV so as not to create a noxious (dangerous) problem for your neighbor when parked. It does help some w/noise. The gen set mounting (in fixed installation) needs good dampening of vibration (which uses the bin like an acousitc guitar and amplifies the sound...

Disipation of heat, as well as air intake on an air-cooled genset is important, especially with higher ambient (outside) temp.

I have the Honda 3000, which I believe has a DB rating of 59.

As heat rises, I would construct a box with insulation (like the baffling waffle stuff used for sound rooms), allowing for the heat to escape. Put in several grills for intake - a lot of RV generators sit in closed bins. Camping World (and the like) sell something called a "Geni" (sorry about spelling) which is made to elevate the exhaust, and has hooks that attach to the side of your RV to secure the pipe. A larger (or in some gensets, even adequate) exhaust might help as well. The other option would be to try and get your RV in a site which is remote, or perhaps does not have a camper right next door on the genset side, or a way to set the generator away from the campsite(s) as well as have it insulated (and now, isolated...). Some parks even have a section for people who plan to run generators.

But all of this is avoided by the more expensive units, designed with noise abatement in mind. I forked over the $$$ for the Honda because I plan on using the generator in National Parks, which have strict rules.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bonshawman
Camping World (and the like) sell something called a "Geni" (sorry about spelling) which is made to elevate the exhaust, and has hooks that attach to the side of your RV to secure the pipe.

It's called the "Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System" on the Camping World website. I'll be installing mine this weekend, and will report on how well it works.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Please do! That is my thoughts as to the biggest drop in noise.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM

I've got a little dB meter that will help me get before/after numbers.

After I calibrated my home theater setup, I've been waiting for a good place to put it to use.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are running this thing on or beside a camper or truck, do yourself a big favor, spend about 40 bucks on a carbon monoxide sensor from Lowes or where ever. I have one in the truck and once a month or so when the wind is just right, I get rudely awakened by the alarm going off. Watch the direction of the wind and try to be upwind of the generator. That stuff will kill you and if not that bad, will make you feel really lousy.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 PM

well i am a small engine mechanic and work on these things all day.

there isn't much you can do with this one. its either a briggs or a tecuseh. i know briggs offers a "queit" muffle for their engines. but i'll be honest. it dosen't make a difference at all. try a muffle for one but the way those things are built they just vibrate wayyyy too much and cause wayy tooo much noise.

your best bet is to sell it and go for a honda EU series generator. i would recommend minimum is a 3000 watt unit. very very very quiet unit. they are insulated with sound absorbing material and have a quiet and rather large muffler design.

the only thing i can think of for you is build some type of sound insulating box. try to use insulation that wont hold too much heat. allow it to vent so it wont over heat. maybe try setting the idle down a bit. but its a hard call for this. there isn't much you can do with that generator.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Get a really long extension cord and put it as far away as possible. Let your neighbors deal with it
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Friend has a Kipor 3000 watt gen set its extremly quiet . It sits in the bed of his truck and he runs his 5th wheel a/c with it no problem. I plan on buying one for camping and for my house- getting rid of my generac with the Robin engine(subaru)
Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
There is not much you are going to be able to do to quiet any of the small gensets down, they have to run at 3600 RPM and most of the noise is mechanical, add the fact they are air cooled and the heads are thinner in construction.

Don't want to sound harsh but,
The only way you are going to quiet them down is to get rid of it and buy an Onan 1800 RPM unit. Pay the money and get a real RV style genset and you can barely hear them run.

I have 2 older generators I use for backup, I have a 4.0 CCK and a 4.0BF3CR both are 1800-RPM units.

I also just sold my big genset because there was no way I could quiet it down, it had stickers stating Hearing Protection Required on the side.

I am on the look out for a used APU off from a semi tractor.

Jim

Quick Reply: How to quiet my generator