Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How to quiet my generator

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A Kipor will do the trick. Only issue is the watts but a 7500 watt Kipor is expensive. It should do just fine with what you are wanting to do.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you know about these 6kw diesel generators that are single cylinder air cooled jobs? they are in housings like the inverter generators... are they about the same on noise?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 AM

Yes, I read a ton about the diesel units. That is kinda what I wanted but they are too heavy to lug around that is for sure. Around 200 lbs. That is just to much weight to deal with.

Yes, the noise levels are about the same and you know the diesel will run longer on a tank of fuel.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:50 AM

I wasnt as concerned about the weight... I can lower it into the bed of the truck and once its there, I dont have to worry as much about it growing legs and walking away... 2 60lb 2000 watt hondas can be easily picked up and carried off...... a 350lb diesel unit, not so much so...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page

that one has made me somewhat curious... seems to be a good value if its quiet and efficient......
Old 10-06-2007, 05:30 PM

It sure looks like a Kipor. They don't give a DB rating at a certain distance. That is the only way to tell how quiet it is.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:36 PM

There is a reason why many quote "as quiet as a honda". They are not though! The reason Honda's are expensive is for noise and quality of product. Buy cheap and play with it, get frustrated and then buy a Honda. Think Red!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have said before, i have a Honda 3000is inverter generator on the back of the truck. Probably 50% of the nights for over two years it has run at 3/4 capacity, runs a 1700 watt air conditioner and heat pump. Also runs a 1800 watt draw microwave besides floating the truck batteries. It has been flawless, just change the oil and let it rip. When the oil starts to darken, I change it, all half quart of it. Costs me five to seven dollars to run for a 10 to 12 hour off duty time with all the comforts of home.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I have said before, i have a Honda 3000is inverter generator on the back of the truck. Probably 50% of the nights for over two years it has run at 3/4 capacity, runs a 1700 watt air conditioner and heat pump. Also runs a 1800 watt draw microwave besides floating the truck batteries. It has been flawless, just change the oil and let it rip. When the oil starts to darken, I change it, all half quart of it. Costs me five to seven dollars to run for a 10 to 12 hour off duty time with all the comforts of home.
If I was going to use a genny alot I would no doubt get the Honda. But, every now and then I can't see spending that kind of money. It is a great genny though.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

I got a small Coleman generator (3,000K I believe) for free. It was ridiculously loud, so what I did was pack the little tin can muffler with fiberglass exhaust packing (you can find it at motorcycle shops, it's used in motocross bikes). I got a piece of wire mesh and riveted it to the exhaust opening in the muffler (basically a 1.5" hole) to keep the packing in. This helped A TON, and was quiet enough to be tolerable...but I was bored, so I welded on a 2" 90 degree "L" pipe, followed by a tiny muffler (about the size of two pop cans stacked) I took off this cheap-o broken chinese minibike that I had laying around. I finished this with another 6" of the steel pipe and a flapper on the top for good measure. It is now super quiet and runs perfectly. A good synthetic high mileage oil helps with oil consumption and mechanical noise.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 PM

If you plan on staying in a state park most anywhere you are going to find the generator run hours are usually 8AM to 9PM. Quiet hours at night.

If you want to be a good neighbor get a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator. your neighbors will appreciate it.

Jim
Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Hondas are overrated for the price - they are riding their reputation at this point, and aren't what they used to be. The Yamaha is much more durable, and is near silent, every bit as quiet as the Honda.

After 1000 hours, (2 years for us) the Honda EU3000 motor was toast, burning oil faster than gas. The cost of a rebuild or motor replacement was more than the cost of a new unit.

After 3000 hours, the Yamaha 3000 SEIB is still going strong, on the original plug if you can believe it, with just oil and air filter changes.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by username taken
Hondas are overrated for the price - they are riding their reputation at this point, and aren't what they used to be. The Yamaha is much more durable, and is near silent, every bit as quiet as the Honda.

After 1000 hours, (2 years for us) the Honda EU3000 motor was toast, burning oil faster than gas. The cost of a rebuild or motor replacement was more than the cost of a new unit.

After 3000 hours, the Yamaha 3000 SEIB is still going strong, on the original plug if you can believe it, with just oil and air filter changes.
Ok..... BP gas is much better than Exxon, Rotella T is better than Delo, Fords are much better than Chevy, come on get real, you may have gotten a bad one but Honda is one of the best. Probably the Yamaha is as good, who knows.

I use my Honda commercially. I had to get the calculator and see how many hours that you are talking about. There is no hour meter and I am sure that you record each minute of use. Anyway your figures come out to a bit less than ten hours a week. I use my Honda generally 30 hours a week or more on the truck.... ten to twelve hour stops using air and cooking. It has been flawless, is outside, no cover, has never used a bit of oil. Been doing this for 2 1/2 years. Never thought it would hold up with no oil filter. I did change the spark plug once, didn't need it, looked like new, same for the air filter. I change the oil when it gets dark but no where near black.

I have eliminated the battery and just have a jumper to the truck battery. Starts rain or shine, in driving rain the low oil light will come on from the water running down the inside of the panel. My bunk is right beside the unit which is mounted behind the cab, sleep comfortably, not at all to noisey.

So you can tout the greatness of the Yamaha, probably right. But you make a fool of yourself saying that the Honda is junk. I have never hear complaints of any Honda motor and I have several of them. Lawnmower, pressure washer, not to mention the motorcycles I have and have had. I honestly would sooner go for a Honda than a Yamaha from experience with bikes.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I have a coleman cheapo generator. 5000watts I think. I want to be able to run it at a crowded campground on Labor Day to have A/C. At least I hope I need A/C! I don't want to hear it, and I know my neighbors aren't gonna wanna hear it either. I though about making a pipe and muffler to go up real high and have a support on the back of the camper. Any thoughts? What has anyone else done?
I got a brand new muffler that was taken off an import to install some kind of performance exhause from the muffler shop. I welded up the piping to the muffler and built all the brackets to support it. It didn't seem to help much. I thought about packing it with steel wool or fibergalss but worried about the back-pressure. I'll be watching this thread; maybe I'll learn something.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by username taken

Another vote for the Yamaha. I've got an EF2400is that I use with my fifth wheel. Its super quiet and runs my 15K BTU A/C easily. It ramps up the rpms just a bit when the A/C fires off,but then it runs right back down to almost an idle. You can easily stand over it and have a normal conversation.

The only thing I don't like is the smallish fuel tank.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 PM

has anyone tried extending the exhaust pipe. and installing a 90' bend. and placing the exhaust pipe just above the bottom of a large bucket of water. it makes the gen set, sound like a small outboard motor at the lake. of course you will still need to deal with engine noise....
cc

Quick Reply: How to quiet my generator