Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

horse transport ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being in Lexington, I've dealt with a lot of horse shipping and shippers. The big companies like Sallee will beat an individual on price every time. They do have several "bus routes" that run at least weekly. You take them to and pick thenm up from the terminal, but it is something really cheap per mile. Pro haulers have been doing something like $2 a mile. But thats just a starting figure.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming if you can. Im trying to learn as much as possible here. I do have lots of experiance with horse hauling just not proffesionally.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM

I have a friend with an equine transport company. I have hauled for him before. I don't know what he charges per mile, but I know it is $2000 a horse
from Indy to Florida. That was last year(2007) prices may have changed.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by the dude
i hauled horses a couple of years ago when fuel was cheaper first off i know you have to have a set of health papers and a current coggins test then get some insurance that is real good if something happens to the horse while in your care. then go to horse motel site and you can find names and numbers off people that will let you leave the horse at overnight if you get in a jam or just need a place to rest. far as price thangs have changed so much in the last couple of years you just need to get a pencel out. i know a guy here in texas i try ang get ahold off him and poke him a little good luck
In western states you need a Brand Inspection (even if neither you or the horse have a brand). I've been pulled over and checked for it. Lucky for me, I got a written warning (in Wyoming on I-25 just south of Cheyenne) but they can impound you until it's proven that you have the horse legally. Also, certian states and licenses can exempt you from certian requirements. In Wisconsin, kill buyers didn't need a coggins or health cert.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by thewished
There is a town a few miles south that a guy has a 80's 1/2ton f150 with HUGE cage sides on his truck and hauls horses and cows, one at a time of course, around town... It just makes my girlfriend mad to see someone treat horses that way, one of our horses doesn't even like our 97 3 horse slant... Boy she's spoiled with us, she really wouldn't get into a contraption like that.

Don't live near BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN, do ya?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Twodiesels
I have a friend with an equine transport company. I have hauled for him before. I don't know what he charges per mile, but I know it is $2000 a horse
from Indy to Florida. That was last year(2007) prices may have changed.

Tony Davis is not getting 2 grand a horse to Florida! LOL

And to the all the prospective horse haulers out there. Do it right or dont do it at all. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ Commercial insurance for equipment and live cargo!!!! Commercially spec'd AirRide trailers! Our business is filled with ILLEGAL joe schmoes/inexperienced horseman with a truck and trailer and the idea of making a little money at the horses expense.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM

When I was in Saudi back in the late '90s, it was nothing to see a camel tied down in the back of a small Datsun pickup driving thru town.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM

IMO, I would not mess with it. The time/fuel/crazy horse owners arn't worth the few bucks. I do haul horses, mostly stuff I buy and sell and a little local hauling for people to and from sales.

I had one lady refuse to put her horse on my trailer because it didn't have a ramp, to walk up when loading. I was shocked. I said either he gets on or I'm gone. THis is also the same lady that showed me where to turn my trailer around by first telling me, then walking the pattern of where and how I was supposed to turn around. NUTZ.

Last edited by roughstock; 01-24-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: confusion in wording
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 PM

I don't know a Tony Davis. I know thats what they got per horse because i handed them the bill. Some people!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Why waste all that time assembling the chain link enclosure?.........
Attached Thumbnails horse transport ?-cow-transport.jpg   horse transport ?-horse-trailer.jpg