Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Help Me Plan Ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Plan Ahead

I plan on getting an 03 early next year. Plan is a 2500 2X4 as garagability rules out a dually. My wife is insisting on an automatic. We plan to pull a 10,000# mid heighth 5er (probably a 28' Keystone Cougar) on the flats and in the mountains, back roads, etc. so I want an exhaust brake capable tranny. The plan is 3 months traveling to escape the SC heat.<br><br> Question to the group is, can the 47/48RE (assuming the 48 comes out in time) be made capable and reliable, and what does it take? If not, what can you provide to sway her to the 6-speed. We've both been driving stick since 1974, me since 1961, so learning isn't the problem, old age is!<br><br> Thanks in advance for any studied advice.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:29 PM

Re:Help Me Plan Ahead

Tell her the automatic tranny will fail and cost you a ton of money. You will have to get towed, HOPEFULLY it would fail while still under warranty..... etc.... Also, the manuals have more power pulling.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:29 PM

If you don't plan to bomb, the auto should hold up. I perfer the 6 speed. Empty, its not to bad, but loaded, its like a cadillac. The gear ratio with the 353 or 350? I can't remember the exact ratio, but with the high gear rear end and the 6 speed is very smooth. And above all it sounds better when you have to swap gears. The exhaust brake will be ready to use with the manual tran. With the auto you will have to add a lockup to the tranny. Someone else can tell you exactly what you will have to add to an auto. This is my opinon, hope it helps.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=John_C link=board=11;threadid=5894;start=0#52850 date=1034641146]so I want an exhaust brake capable tranny.[edit] can the 47/48RE (assuming the 48 comes out in time) be made capable and reliable, and what does it take? [/quote]

As far as the exhaust brake capability goes, you'd have to get a TQ lockup switch of some kind, such as the DTT Smart Controller.
Along with the controller, a DTT or ATS or BD or Suncoast Torque Converter and Valve Body are the upgrades of choice to equip the 47RE to handle the HP and Torque of the Cummins.

Hopefully the 48RE will have all these upgrades contained within from the get go.
I have heard that the reason for making the 48RE is the Cummins, and early failures of the 47RE in the Cummins trucks.
One would think that it would be more able to handle the high HP and Torque, at least the stock outputs of the '03.

Still haven't heard a for sure, definate time frame for the 48RE to start being put in the trucks though, supposedly sometime mid '03, maybe even as late as fall when the 2004's come out.

phox
Old 10-14-2002, 08:26 PM

We have the DTT Smart Controller and like being able to set the shift points ourselves. I recommend that your call Bill K at DTT and talk to him. Start at dieseltrans.com.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:38 PM
DPG

I have the DTT Smartcontroller, DTT Torque converter and valve body, along with the DTT version of the Pacbrake. I love them all. I have no experience with the other aftermarket transmission companies, but I do know that the DTT stuff that I have works, and works well. <br><br>Good Luck with your decision-making.<br><br>DeWain
Old 10-14-2002, 08:58 PM

John C, you didnt specify whether your 03 2500 would be a Quad Cab with short bed. If it is, then you will want to know that the distance from the back of cab to center of rear axle has been shortened from previous years models. (DC took some length from the bed and added it to the rear seat area).<br><br>This would probably eliminate the QC shortbed for pulling fifth wheel trailers, especially if the extended pin box isn't very long. You will normally find that the heavier the trailer the shorter the extended pin box.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the response thus far. Yes, the plan is for a king cab, short bed truck. Talking to the trailer dealer, they indicated the short bed would be OK for the trailer we have in mind. I was expecting to need a sliding 5th wheel for the tight stuff. I will reconfirm this for the '03 though as I hadn't realized the dimensional differences (and I don't know how knowledgable the salesman was).<br><br> We saw the trailer on a Chevy short bed gasser while in a State Park outside Frisco, CO this summer (while driving a rental Ford Focus!) - Dillon Reservoir off I20. Nobody home, so we didn't get to investigate further. the grandkids are in CO and we want to get away from SC summers, thus the interest in a mid size trailer and my self imposed 10,000# limit.<br><br> I've spec'd the truck on the Dodge website, but my printer is playing color games, so I can't give you the details yet. I've seen the DTT website, but need to understand the details better. A call may be in order, as suggested.<br><br> Keep the input coming! I've been with Cummins 36+ years (Holset now) and plan to retire this April, so I've got some time to plan. I'd be interested in suggestions around gauge packages. I'm thinking a boost/pyrometer combo (Westach), and transmission temp as the minimum, assuming the auto tranny wins. I think I'd like to put these on the A pillar.<br>
Old 10-15-2002, 08:51 PM

I don't know if you can put an a-pillar in the 03's as they have a grab handle on them. ???
Old 10-15-2002, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor has it that Scotty is working on another way to mount guages :<br><br>Ehhhh, just take the grab handle off, that's what the steering wheel is for <br><br><br>phox