Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

got a bone to pick with a LTL hauler

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got a bone to pick with a LTL hauler

May have an issue on hands with a 02 block and trucking company. I sold an engine... rebuildable core to a member here on the page ....... i dont know all the the details YET but something is not adding up.

Block maybe lost to trucking company.

I will repay him in full if this becomes the case. situation just started unraveling about three hours ago when a rogue driver decided to call me and tell me he no longer is hauling for his company and that he wants more money to deliver the block .... crate .....wired to him to either haul it back to CA or to pay him to finish the rest of the trip.. claims he is sitting in Oklahoma and refuses to take it any further or to even drop it off anywhere.

I told him thats extortion and i will be notifying the ICC. And im more willing to refund the buyer everything he paid and eat the cost of the block than to gamble on tying up more money on this crook. either way i will keep things right but man if anyone is in Oklahoma and can even help nab this thing just to despite this situation.

I already stopped payment on the cashiers check that i paid him when he picked it up friday.. and his broker isnt answering his phone so recourse with the broker isnt exactly yeilding anything yet. i figured stopping payment can at least save a little face but im running out of ideas for saving any more of my money.......this things a sinking deal.

I sold motor for 400 and shipping was 480 .... i'll be lucky to get the $333.38 out of the cashiers check that i gave the driver and maybe the retainers fee and 25% down that i paid in advance of pickup for the shipping. i could maybe go after this guy for grand theft since hes holding my property hostage...................... but im really at a loss here.

ideas things im missing usually im on top of this but i may have goofed on this
Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dustin, I would get with CA PUC also and ICC, wow that does suck, he had to have a bond to operate in CA.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 AM

ICC hasn't existed for years . You need to contact FMCSA . When you told him about the ICC he probably laughed . The FMCSA could do nothing to him anyway if he was running on the company's authority . I'd get full info on where he is then report the block stolen to local law enforcement or if it's cheaper to pay the additional amount do that to make things simple and not lose the block . That will buy time and you'll know where the guy is . If he has broken any law you can have him nabbed when he delivers the block . Record any further phone calls . Tell him he must fax you a contract for new delivery charges before you send payment . You might have him there . If he was operating under another carrier's authority and hauls it the rest of the way with no authority or insurance he'll be in serious trouble . I'd do that and notify the DOT of the state he'll be delivering to . Tell him the load will have to be C.O.D. because he can't be trusted but you will sign a contract for the load .
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

ok he does not own that parcel. He has an obligation to do his part that is deliver the parcel. Other than that he is negligent of his contract to you. Not only that the shipping company must have some kind of value in their customers they should be after him not you.
This guy is so far out of bounds it truly inconceivable.
I had to go out side and have a breath of air over this, wow I am right now speechless.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 AM

Where in OK? No guarantees but you never know who might live close.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Im trying to find out where, there maybe a member close who can nab this thing before the guy kicks it off in a rest area

he wants an additional $800 to bring it back or $1000 to haul it to Virginia .... its got a siezed piston its not worth it.

im going to tell him to drop it at the nearest yellow freight or usf redaway depot if he'll do it. and go find his own way home. i already stopped payment on the cashiers check so i can use that towards getting ti out to VA if needs be.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Chandler Oklahoma

just east of oklahoma city on I 44

The guy is claiming to be out of gas and is looking for a hand out. Im not wiring him any money. he can rot with that motor on the back of his truck for all i care
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be out of line here but I believe he is in possesion of NOW stolen goods. You know his location maybe a call to the fuzz, that may alter his position on what he needs. PK
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Supposedly hes heading up to Tulsa...

Anyone close to Tulsa want a motor
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Is he willing to kick the motor off and leave it at that or is he wanting to get money from whoever comes to get the motor? Is it on a pallet or how is it loaded and how would it need to be unloaded? Seems like it might be hard to offload alongside the road w/o a loading dock. Tulsa is only an hour away so there might be a chance to work things out depending on the timing.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM

on a pallet and crated. i would think it would be hard to kick it off the flatbed.

he keeps wanting me to wire him cash to haul it anywhere from where hes at. not happening. he may want money but i wouldnt give him a dime. More so he might just be tickled to get the motor off his truck.

so now last i heard hes heading to tulsa to pick up a boat. to haul back to Seattle or somewhere. from what i gather hes in a holding pattern so his schedule is probably open

He probably wont find out i put a hold on that cashiers check for breach of contract till friday
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM

If he can offload the motor in Tulsa wherever he's loading the boat, I might be able to go collect it for you. PM me if you think that's a possibility.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM

i just talked to him he back tracked to Oklahoma city in stead of Tulsa.

i really apreciate but now it sounds like hes further away from you now

he's a total head case. shouldnt even be trucking.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Sent you a PM
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Where did you find this so called "hauler"?

Quick Reply: got a bone to pick with a LTL hauler