Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a slider for my short box, but never need it. My trailer tongue sticks out about a foot in front of the body and gives me clearance for any normal turn. One thing about the 5th wheel hitch is I can see it to back into it. When I used a goose ball I got out of the truck way too much to back under the tongue.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 PM

I installed a gooseneck adapter and a B&W turnover ball about six years ago. My biggest complaint is having to crawl into the bed to hook safety chains and I also have trouble backing under the hitch without getting out of the truck multiple times.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Yep, that's what I mean. You have to raise and lower the trailer to get the ball all hitched up. And get in and out of the truck multiple times for line up. With the 5r it is a one shot deal. Almost always when I raise the trailer to get out from under it I don't have to touch it until I hitch up to go and then it's back under , drop the trailer an inch and lift the legs. Reach in from the tail to hook up chains, and plug up and I'm on the road again!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskers
And get in and out of the truck multiple times for line up. With the 5r it is a one shot deal.
I solved that problem.

Got a Kenwood Naviagtion with a back up camera on the bumper. Liked it so much I installed a second camera on my tool box. Flip of a switch and I have a view of my cargo, and a sure fire shot of my gooseneck ball.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Now that sounds good !
Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 PM

I have both gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers. When hooking up my gooseneck I use a little telescopic magnetic tool that is commonly used to pick up bolts and nuts that are accidently dropped. You know what I mean? Anyway, just extend it and place it just in front of the ball with the magnet stuck down on the bed. You will be abel to see it sticking up from the cab. Then just back up into it until it just tips over and you are right on, first time , every time. I keep the little tool in the side on the door. Very handy.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

funny all the gadgets needed to back up and hook into trailers.....just back and hook it up! As far as GN adapters, I have towed with mine for 6 years now and never had a problem. As far as towing with a shortbed, just pay attention to what's going on when towing. No amount of gadgetry can make up for common sense and awareness. I have never crunched a cab or broken a window, just like never being kicked by a horse when walking around one. Like my grandpa said and taught me....PAY ATTENTION!! If you do that, you'll be fine.

Last edited by BBTexas; 11-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with you, I have never had any issues with hooking up to my trailers. I always centered with my rear head rest and knew how far to get under it and was 99% of the time close enough for it to slide on.

But trust me, those cameras make it so nice
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM

I run a PopUp GN adapter with the offset on my 5th wheel. I have never had any problems with it, very sturdy adapter. I changed out all my GN's to the PopUp offsets too. Good investments for a little more cab clearance and gives you a little more tailgate to trailer clearance as well.

Getting under/aligned with a GN just takes practice, there is no guide V to cheat with. Like Blake said, find your reference points and it's a snap.

I have a friend who always was getting in/out a lot, it wasn't so much the front/rear distance as it was centering. Once he got it connected and in a straight line, I put a small piece of white reflective tape on each side in line with his truck bed for his reference point, now he backs up under his trailer and hooks on his first try. Its all in the reference points side to side to get centered.

CD
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
I run a PopUp GN adapter with the offset on my 5th wheel. I have never had any problems with it, very sturdy adapter. I changed out all my GN's to the PopUp offsets too. Good investments for a little more cab clearance and gives you a little more tailgate to trailer clearance as well.

Getting under/aligned with a GN just takes practice, there is no guide V to cheat with. Like Blake said, find your reference points and it's a snap.

I have a friend who always was getting in/out a lot, it wasn't so much the front/rear distance as it was centering. Once he got it connected and in a straight line, I put a small piece of white reflective tape on each side in line with his truck bed for his reference point, now he backs up under his trailer and hooks on his first try. Its all in the reference points side to side to get centered.

CD
I just ordered the RV2 for the 9" extension. How do you like yours? I had the Ranch Hitch forever, but the Pop Up seems so much more sturdy.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo2
I have both gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers. When hooking up my gooseneck I use a little telescopic magnetic tool that is commonly used to pick up bolts and nuts that are accidently dropped. You know what I mean? Anyway, just extend it and place it just in front of the ball with the magnet stuck down on the bed. You will be abel to see it sticking up from the cab. Then just back up into it until it just tips over and you are right on, first time , every time. I keep the little tool in the side on the door. Very handy.
This is the one I use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/long-re...ase-93950.html
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBTexas
funny all the gadgets needed to back up and hook into trailers.....just back and hook it up!
I use the Wife! Once I taught her the hand signals we used in the military for guiding vehicles/aircraft, hooking has been a cinch!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Can go with a B/W gn hitch and get a Colibert Rail Rider. It is a slider fifth wheel hitch that fits in the B/W gn hole.

~Rob
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Can go with a B/W gn hitch and get a Colibert Rail Rider. It is a slider fifth wheel hitch that fits in the B/W gn hole.

~Rob
Yeah, but VERY expensive. just finished installing my Pop Up Industries adapter. This thing is solid AND has 9" of extension. Seems like t will be pretty awesome.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Just bought a B &W companion 5th wheel hitch to go with my B&W turnover hitch. I plan take the Ranch GN adapter off. No crawling in the bed to hook safty chains. I just had a hip replacement and I'm not as agile as I use to be.

Quick Reply: Gooseneck adapter