Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

G/N-install myself of have someone do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G/N-install myself of have someone do it?

I'm about to start pulling a skid steer for my business (10K loaded) and was wondering if I should install the hitch myself or have someone do it. I called 2 local shops here and one wants $625 for the B&W and the other wants $417 for their custom hitch. Kinda pricey for this college kid. I didn't get a chance to ask how much the first place how much they would charge for parts if I were to install myself, but the other shop said it was $212 for parts.

Is it worth it to pay someone to install the g/n or should I try and tackle this myself. Note, I do have access to a welder and am not afraid of the project, just wondering if it is worth it.

On a side note, I remember seeing a bolt on g/n at Tractor Supply a few months ago. Can't remember the price, but anyone got any info on those. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Registered

I would do it myself, but thats just me. Ive got a huge shop with a welder and a cutting torch and a LOT of tools so i do all my work myself. Since you have the tools, go ahead. But for someone that dosent have the stuff, theres only one way to go
Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 AM

The B&W is a bolt in...the only thing that might take a bit of talent is the hole in the bed...rent a 4"(?) hole saw and measure twice cut once...lol!...I think you can get the kit from $300.00-$350.00.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remove the spare tire and the B&W is an easy bolt-in install. If you use a hole saw to cut the hole in the bed, in addition to measuring twice and cutting once, be sure to get all the cuttings out of the bed when you're through. Fortunately, I had my bed Line-Xed after installing the B&W, but despite my clean-up efforts, the white bed interior had orange polka dots all over the floor caused by rusting of the steel "dust" created by the hole saw.

Rusty
Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Earl Owen in Dallas has the B/W for about $335.
I bought and had mine installed by a semi trailer place in Dallas, took about 3.5 hours for them to do it. I also had them install a 7 way plug in the bed. I think with hitch, installation, plug and tax, the bill was about $680.
Your roomie can check mine out this weekend and report back to you if it looks easy to install or not
If you do it yourself, I saw on a website where they took a piece of wood with the correct size hole right in the middle of the board and placed it between the wheel wells and used that as a jig.

Go Here and follow the turnoverball link, then click the "various pictures" link. There are 2 or 3 pages of install pics.

~Rob
Old 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Check out these guys;
http://www.diamondhitchinc.com/

Rated slightly higher weight than others.
He also told me this hitch is a no-drill bolt in (for 2nd gen Dodges) installs just behind the fuel tank not on top of it, and the ball sits 2.5 inches ahead of the rear axle which does not transfer too much weight to the front axle which is close to capacity with the Cummins. The B&W ball sits 4 to 6 inches (depending on application) ahead of the rear axle.

I don't have a GN hitch yet, but this looks like the one I'll be getting.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by roadranger
Rated slightly higher weight than others.
What am I missing? Both this hitch and the B&W appear to be rated for 30K/7.5K.

Rusty
Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
What am I missing? Both this hitch and the B&W appear to be rated for 30K/7.5K.

Rusty
There are OTHER mfg's out there with a 24K/6.5K rating...
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by roadranger
There are OTHER mfg's out there with a 24K/6.5K rating...
OK, but the only 2 commercially available hitches that I had seen discussed in this thread were the B&W and (with the introduction in your post) the Diamond Hitch, which both share the same ratings. I guess my confusion is due to my old age and senility.

Rusty
Old 10-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid Ashland Hitch in Richmond to install mine, didn't want the hassle. They do it all the time and can install it while I'm thinking about it.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

Hey DD, if Blue is your roomy tell him 99cummins said he needs to take better care of you. He just aint lookin out for your best interest. If you use the B&W it is a cake walk install but I would go to the next bigger size hole saw bit, it gives you that extra little bit for everything to fit right and when it's installed you can't see the extra at all.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
I'm about to start pulling a skid steer for my business (10K loaded) and was wondering if I should install the hitch myself or have someone do it. I called 2 local shops here and one wants $625 for the B&W and the other wants $417 for their custom hitch. Kinda pricey for this college kid. I didn't get a chance to ask how much the first place how much they would charge for parts if I were to install myself, but the other shop said it was $212 for parts.

Is it worth it to pay someone to install the g/n or should I try and tackle this myself. Note, I do have access to a welder and am not afraid of the project, just wondering if it is worth it.

On a side note, I remember seeing a bolt on g/n at Tractor Supply a few months ago. Can't remember the price, but anyone got any info on those. Thanks.
B&W DIY. It is an easy job. $340. Buy a 4" circle for a regular drill and have at it. It is a 1-2 hour very easy job. I give it 1 wrench.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-W-G...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4

Ill make this simple for u

If you are down in Ldo, my way,check out John Rdz's gneck hitch, pm me, and we (my dad and I) will get u one heck of a gneck hitch, anyway u want, bolt on weld on etc...

this question has been asked many a time with me.. But i do feel it is best to have a professional do it, after all, It is YOUR TRUCK, and it needs to BE DONE RIGHT.... i would suggest if u cannot come down here, or aint down here to find a reputable welder who has experience with them and get a weld on, Now dont panic here, if it is done properly no damage will occur,k? a bolt on is user friendly, but i feel it isnt as strong as a good weld on, but at an advantege, it is removable, or u can set the ball down since u might want to use ur bed every so often. B and W is a good kit, weve put them on before.

Tx
Old 10-16-2005, 03:51 PM

Just a word of advice...I made the mistake of letting a dealer install a GN hitch one time and instead of bolting it in, they decided to lay some scrap metal up and then weld it to the FRAME!! If you buy the bolt on it is not hard at all, just make sure you get your bed hole drilled right once. Good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 09:38 AM

I think I'm gonna tackle this one myself. The B&W seems to be the way to go and I think I'll have another truck next to mine that has one in it for reference. I've got a 4.5" hole saw so I'll just use that. If I want some more added security, I might weld it later on down the road. Thanks for all the info guys.

Quick Reply: G/N-install myself of have someone do it?